Why become a member? ×

Jazz bass refinish type thing... FINISHED! photos up (page 2)

LukeFRC

Bugger

Was meaning to start this thread for a while... but just been getting on with it.
So picked up this bass in a trade

which was supposedly a 1994 japanese squier jazz with a 1994 japanese squier body,

well it still might be, who knows? But I picked it up as it was a good japanese neck to base a project on.
More or less going to keep the neck and change everthing else.
Got the thing home though and man - it's amazing sounding and playing - it's not quite a trad jazz sound more authoritive- and really really fun to play.
So plan B is keep the bass as it is- I can't think of much that would defiantly improve it.

Except someone had wrecked the finish- and oddly the chips are really sharp when you play - so strip it off and refinish in nitro!

Price up Nitro

nooo, poly finsih! :)

So sand paper and paint stripper are bought and I set work on the finish- and it doesn't really do much. The paint stripper does nothing and the sand paper.... well lets just say that is sat sanding the same 2 inch square section for an entire film and still didn't get to the wood.... super hard finish - which would explain why the chips left sharp edges.

I don't have a heat gun but I do have a gas cooker (you can see where this is going can't you?) but as it came off I found a really off thing.
The body was basswood and had a thin laminate of plastic/wood stuff stuck on around it with a hard shiny finish - the thick hard paint had then been laid ontop of this - I guess it makes sense to give a good painting serface.
ended up taking them both off. the top and bottom...

first annoyance... where the plastic has been stuck with the grain it peels off easily - where it is against the grain, like on the sides, it doesn't - it just won't shift, doesn't really sand off and arrgh. So out comes the chisel and its all slowly chipped off leaving a ragidy edge to sand back.

So that's all done and sand and reshape the body, sand the radius's by hand copying my JV p bass.
Mistake number 1 - get so into shaping the edges I forget to give the front and back a good going over.

Mistake number 2- see how the bottom horn looks too big? well trying to cut bits off is not a good idea.

so then go to paint it - I go for Molotow graffiti paint- this stuff is amazing - great coverage, looks good and is cheap. It shows up all the inperfections (and holes) but hey ho!

Mistake number 3 - I should have got a good finsih with cheap paint and left it at that.

But go and get some poly clear coat gloss finsih for on the top.
Mistake number 4 - graffiti paint is dead easy to spray and doesn't run - this comes out supper fast and before i know it is running everywhere leaving big white patches- Probably I could have left them to dry clear but...

Mistake number 5 - I wipe them off with some kitchen roll and start again. And unwittingly get some moisture somewhere - leading to big cloudy patches.

Sand back to get rid of them, a few rub throughts and then run out of paint. bugger.
Ignore it respray - again it likes coming out fast. :(

Ignore it, leave it to dry it's going to work whatever it comes out looking like now cos blowed if I have any more money to throw at it, and not sure I could do a better job anyway - next time pay a pro to do it.

I should have sold this body as it was for £20 and just bought one already painted. :(

Pictures soon

Edited by LukeFRC

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1353030018' post='1870838']
Now I know why I never attempted to respray any of my basses. :)
[/quote] yeah it's not worth it unless know know what you are doing. I should have just bought a new body and waxed it!

it's together and plays ok, memory tells me it sounded better before i messed it up

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1353169465' post='1872368']
Looks good in the new colour.

I've seen this bass somewhere recently but can't think where, here or ebay I guess.

so what now then Luke, keep as it is or another respray?
[/quote]

I've stuck photos on here recently.
don't know really.
Part of me thinks a nice new wood body, wax finish might be the way forward. dunno

So been playing the thing at home for a while... and... it sounds amazing. So yes thanks to chrisdabass 's excellent fret job the warwick sounds better, and yes cos it's well made and lightweight and feels good the P bass is great - but the tone of this jazz! it's got a fatter tone than you would expect from a jazz, playing around with pickup heights I've minimised the both on volume drop, it's got great.... it just sounds amazing- playability and set up need some work... and the body....

I dunno, part of me thinks with a bass like this I should spend a bit more $ and get the body redone/new body. :S

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1353351671' post='1874138']
I dunno, part of me thinks with a bass like this I should spend a bit more $ and get the body redone/new body. :S
[/quote]

Given that it's a "cheap" bass with no sentimental value or anything, then if I were you I'd redo the body again myself if you're not happy with it? Keep doing it until it's right, learn a heap, improve your skills and if you manage to completely butcher it, THEN send it to be redone or buy a new body.

That's just my 2p though.

Thanks for this thread though, I've always thought it'd be "not toooooo hard really.." to refinish a body, gonna do a lot of second-guessing and research before I jump into some of the projects I have in wait!

xx

[quote name='Stroopy121' timestamp='1353401446' post='1874536']
Given that it's a "cheap" bass with no sentimental value or anything, then if I were you I'd redo the body again myself if you're not happy with it? Keep doing it until it's right, learn a heap, improve your skills and if you manage to completely butcher it, THEN send it to be redone or buy a new body.

That's just my 2p though.

Thanks for this thread though, I've always thought it'd be "not toooooo hard really.." to refinish a body, gonna do a lot of second-guessing and research before I jump into some of the projects I have in wait!

xx
[/quote] I think I made some major mistakes and had problems that caused it.... mayjorly the construction of the body I was using.
additionally don't decide on a whim to saw a bit off a body to reshape it with no planning, sand for a long time after it seems right/you're bored. and take it slow.
To be honest it only all really went wrong when I tried to put on the awful clear coat I bought.

• 2 weeks later...

So I know we are ALL really about photos...

the original body before stripping.... this is before it all went horribly wrong.

[IMG]http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee497/LukeFRC/private/DSC00661.jpg[/IMG]

and after.

[IMG]http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee497/LukeFRC/private/Photoon01-12-2012at2121.jpg[/IMG]

it doesn't look awful to be honest if you don't look at it closely. It probably would polish up.

oh and the last one was taken by a mac - I havn't become a lefty.

Well I am a lefty - except when playing bass.

[IMG]http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee497/LukeFRC/private/IMAG0502.jpg[/IMG]

so then Darkstar sold me this body he wasn't using. The good things - 3 bits of nice alder (not horrid crap the other one was made of) lightweight, nice surface already

the slight negative... the body is slightly down sized- esp the neck pocket -this means I'm going to have to drill 4 new holes in the neck. Not ideal but should be worth it. Excitingly I can fit the neck in and then pick it up and it stays in :) nice tight joint

so this time I was clever - a white undercoat - wet sanded back to be flat....

then some colour...
[IMG]http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee497/LukeFRC/private/IMAG0503.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee497/LukeFRC/private/IMAG0504.jpg[/IMG]

It's was quite hard picking a colour - aqua blues were quite tempting, then looked at pastel shades and was almost going to go for a shell pink type colour. Then decided that I would possibly tire of it.
I've always wanted a red jazz bass. But looking around at other jazzes I didn't want any old shade - TBH I could have gone and bought a cheap red bass for the body- no it was either going to be a dark red, or a light fiesta red tone. I went with this - it's Molotow's "Shock Orange" - shock apparently being some graffiti artist. banzai have it in their webshop with this colour card - so faded orange red.

Now white, vintage white, mint or what colour guard? what folk think?

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1354976196' post='1892522']
[thread hijack] what are the best type of spray paints to use on bodies? I fancy a white/tort number...[/thread hijack]
[/quote] Best for what? Speed? Finish? or Price?
Acrylic/poly paints will dry quick and hard. Nitrocellulose will be easier to touch up/sand back/polish but will take a while to dry.
I didn't have the money for nitrocellulose so using nitro-alkyd which seems to have the benifits of both- its easy to apply and soft enough to sand back but not as evil fumes wise and not as long to dry. By nitro-alkyd I do mean Molotow graffiti paints - which are great and only £3.50 or so for a can. Cos it's made for graffiti it has great coverage and doesn't run which is nice - for a matt finish it would almost be impossible to get a bad finish - gloss.... we shall see, put first coat of clear coat on today....

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1354996962' post='1892876']
Darkstar :huh: :P its looking good in orange/red. Crushed black pearl pickguard would be my choice, darker rather than lighter than the body.
[/quote] yeah that would look good - in natural light it's more of a fiesta red with balls, i've gone for a vintage white guard for a more classic look.

Hung the body up while the finish hardens.
So doing a bit of research... the molotow sprays I've been using seem to be typical guitar nitro but with a plasticised resin or something. They are easy and fun to use thats for sure. oh and £3.50 each rather than the £15 -20 for "guitar" nitro..... know which I would go for!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1355395474' post='1897716']
Hung the body up while the finish hardens.
So doing a bit of research... the molotow sprays I've been using seem to be typical guitar nitro but with a plasticised resin or something. They are easy and fun to use thats for sure. oh and £3.50 each rather than the £15 -20 for "guitar" nitro..... know which I would go for!
[/quote]

I wonder how they age? I've got a Jazz that I finished in Nitro a while back and its already starting to check & look aged. Just need the hardware to catch up.
Your right about the price though, I used two clear and one colour & £15 a go plus primer. Ouch!

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1355406188' post='1897962']
I wonder how they age? I've got a Jazz that I finished in Nitro a while back and its already starting to check & look aged. Just need the hardware to catch up.
Your right about the price though, I used two clear and one colour & £15 a go plus primer. Ouch!
[/quote] yeah I'm wondering the same! I guess I'll find out! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Finished - been meaning to stick photos up for a while. My other half calls it the tomato soup bass... as you can see why!
[IMG]http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee497/LukeFRC/DSC00686_zps2d53f603.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee497/LukeFRC/DSC00687_zps10c43a40.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee497/LukeFRC/DSC00688_zps3f75b6bb.jpg[/IMG] you can see the bit where the bridge went on in the wrong place. oops.
[IMG]http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee497/LukeFRC/DSC00689_zpsa880e52c.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee497/LukeFRC/DSC00690_zpsfaedf3e3.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee497/LukeFRC/DSC00692_zps9db9f8be.jpg[/IMG]

the red goes well with the vintage white and the chocolatey brown of the fretboard