Why become a member? ×

Bloody hell...

Conan

Why, oh why did I get meself on to ebay with a real account at last, and decide to start reading these threads on BC? Between this thread and the Maya P bass one I've been laughing out loud to myself for the last 20 minutes - without logging on to ebay at all, of course. I'm lucky i don't work in an office... :D

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1352847418' post='1868491']
What would your definition of a 12-string guitar be? And what is your definition of a 6-string bass?
[/quote]

12-string guitars are used to give a sort of atmospheric ring to some pop/folk tunes. I'm not really keen on them as I think, nowadays, you can get a suitable sound out of a normal 6 string acoustic. To me, 12 string electrics are silly.

I don't really see that a 5 string is wholly necessary and I think, I you want to play a 6 string bass, then you seriously ought to consider being a guitarist. Not my cup of tea either, but I know that a lot of people swear by them - and they possibly play styles of music that they will argue require those devices.

On the other hand, that "thing" (to me personally) has no rationale other than for weird music which is best played by oneself in a room all alone. I mean, it's not even black!

Edited by The Dark Lord

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1352894440' post='1868879']
I don't really see that a 5 string is wholly necessary and I think, I you want to play a 6 string bass, then you seriously ought to consider being a guitarist. Not my cup of tea either, but I know that a lot of people swear by them - and they possibly play styles of music that they will argue require those devices.
[/quote]

Oh yes, I'd forgotten you were a Fender player.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1352894440' post='1868879']
12-string guitars are used to give a sort of atmospheric ring to some pop/folk tunes. I'm not really keen on them as I think, nowadays, you can get a suitable sound out of a normal 6 string acoustic. To me, 12 string electrics are silly.

On the other hand, that "thing" (to me personally) has no rationale other than for weird music which is best played by oneself in a room all alone. I mean, it's not even black!
[/quote]

So would you try an 8-string bass with 4 2-string octave courses?

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1352990704' post='1870238']
No. I'm as thick as two planks ..... I have no idea what you are talking about. In the meantime, here's a pic of another bass mandolin for self-important people. Sorry if it's not in black.
[/quote]

So would you like a go? I'm willing to lend it to you...

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1352990704' post='1870238']
No. I'm as thick as two planks ..... I have no idea what you are talking about. In the meantime, here's a pic of another bass mandolin for self-important people. Sorry if it's not in black.
[/quote]

I don't find that arrangement of 8 strings objectionable, and I'm normally very much a 4-string-Sunburst-Precision-tuned-EADG sort of chap. Probably because you can play it like a 4 string, just sounds noisier.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1352999459' post='1870360']
I quite like it......in a "f*#$-you audience" kind of way :D
I bet Fodera were laughing every minute they made this one!

Si
[/quote]

Yeah, probably. And the woman it was made for made it quite clear that she didnt want to be identified.

[attachment=123992:Seven-Fingers-in-one-hand-4d9a6501612cd.jpg]

I don't get it - its just like a dual course 8 string bass but with Low B and high C. Much better than all those silly coffee table things that look like someone's attached far too many strings to an ironing board.

John Paul Jones uses a bass similar to [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGHWxLruLvA"]this[/url]

Edited by Delberthot