Why become a member? ×

Keen to trade, but no photos...

RandomBass

Hi all

Bit of an odd post for me.

I have an Ashdown ABM up for sale, and I approached another member regarding a trade for another amp. I asked for pictures, none were forthcoming and I was pointed to the relevant manufacturers website. Now that is all fine and dandy, except I'd prefer pictures of the actual item for sale/trade. Is that too much to ask? I'm quite ok to offer pictures of mine (ooer missus lol).

Am I asking too much? I hope not.

Anyone been here before and been slightly doubtful?

Cheers

Geoff

I always (apart from one time) include pics of the actual item making sure I capture any issues or particularly cool features...

The only time I didn't was recently when I sold a headphone amp that was completely pristine and I didn't get round to taking actual pics, it still sold though...

I do now have 3 pages of positive feedback describing how thorough, accurate and generally trustworthy I've been...

If I see an item I'm looking for and the seller has little or no feedback I need to see pics of the actual item for sale, but if it's an established member I know or who has an established in the community I'm less twitchy...

Dunno if that helps or not but thats my approach

I was born genuine, I had an almost blind faith in humanity, but then I kept getting f*d over and over by people taking advantage of my genuinity, now I have split personality, half of me still trust the human kind, (hoping always that there is still a good level of honesty in every man) the other half of me trusts no one when it comes to money and business. The latter part of me gets never out of pocket in a deal whereas the first half keep getting f'd. Go figure!

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1352318603' post='1861658']
I was born genuine, I had an almost blind faith in humanity, but then I kept getting f*d over and over by people taking advantage of my genuinity, now I have split personality, half of me still trust the human kind, (hoping always that there is still a good level of honesty in every man) the other half of me trusts no one when it comes to money and business. The latter part of me gets never out of pocket in a deal whereas the first half keep getting f'd. Go figure!
[/quote]

you're a good man wazoo

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1352318651' post='1861660']
depends who it is really. There are some folk on here I would buy things from sight unseen. And a lot I wouldn't.
These days not being able to take a photo is unlikely.
[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback folks. Maybe I should just go with the flow.

Just out of interest I've done quite a few deals on here, both buying and selling, with only one unfortunate outcome.

Would I buy from a seller sight unseen? Possibly. One of those sellers would be karlfer.

Geoff

A listing with no photos of the actual item will set the alarm bells ringing .
Just supplying a stock photo from the manufactures website makes the bells ring louder .
There have been a few fake listings in eBay and Gumtree ( a 58 Precision is a recent one ) where the seller has used some one else's photos to try and sell non existant goods .
I would however buy from Clarky ( and HappyJack , Legion , Squib and Bouvier ) sight unseen .

There's loads of chance to take photos. Almost every modern phone has a camera, most people have digital cameras and if the seller doesn't, they're garuanteed to know someone that does.

If they won't take a photo, they obviously either are hiding something or don't really want to sell that badly. Either way, I wouldn't buy personally.

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1352317141' post='1861623']
I was pointed to the relevant manufacturers website.
[/quote]

To me this is the most alarming part of it all.
1) as if you didn't know
2) as if you're being a nuisance.

A normal seller should provide good reasons for not having pics, and show willingness to change the situaton.
Then again, it does also depend on seller's standing in the community.

Just my two Norse "øre"

best,
bert

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1352324588' post='1861809']
Thanks for the feedback folks. Maybe I should just go with the flow.

Just out of interest I've done quite a few deals on here, both buying and selling, with only one unfortunate outcome.

Would I buy from a seller sight unseen? Possibly. One of those sellers would be karlfer.

Geoff
[/quote]

That's very humbling to see that Geoff. Now, please buy my FenderBird :lol: .
Seriously though, very few are in DIRE need of a sale/trade. If we are honest with ourselves, it's a fair amount of GAS and instant gratification coming into play.
If in doubt, don't go ahead, another deal is not far away and it may well be one you are happier with.
Good luck.
Karl.

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1352360118' post='1862047']
I've decided to hold off. I'm not desperate to sell or trade, there will be other opportunities.
Thanks everyone.
Geoff
[/quote]

Good decision. Lets hope the potential trader reads this thread and realises his/her mistake.

Personally, I always include photo's or if I can't at the time, I'll make sure I get some up ASAP. I'd always be a bit dubious about buying/trading anything without. You can usually tell if an item looks trashed in the photo's - if they seller is reluctant to post any, I wouldn't bother. It's like buying a house or car on good will or someone's say so - you wouldn't do it! I hope!

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1352361250' post='1862055']
Asking for pictures? Common sense really. You wouldn't buy something you haven't seen. Even if they do have the item, if they're too lazy to take pictures of it they can get stuffed!
[/quote]

you wonder if they will be too lazy to post the thing too...

[quote name='thunderbird13' timestamp='1352370333' post='1862182']
If he doesn't have a camera can he at least draw a picture of it :lol:
[/quote]

I'd prefer more oil on canvas, adds a certain sense of personality and interpretation of the artist. I must insist that he/she paints every mark on the tolex and lost dial! Otherwise..... forget it! ;)

There may be cases where things are in storage, or kept elsewhere. However if the seller is serious about selling it, they should get it back in their possession and double-check the condition before offering it for sale. There's no real excuse for not providing photos these days, or even sound samples where appropriate. There again if it's more than a couple of hundred quid I'd want to see it 'in the flesh' before parting with any cash.

[quote name='MB1' timestamp='1352332418' post='1861980']'Blademan_98'
No photo no sale.....

:useless:

MB1.
I'll second that emotion![/quote]
Not like you to miss an 80s pun, Martin. "I'll second that emoticon" maybe?

As for the OP's question: A stock photo tells me nothing about condition. If the seller won't, or can't, supply recent photos then I've no interest in their listing.

I've bought a couple of pedals from here without pics, would do the same with strings and other accessories... but with things like basses, amps and cabs it's essential to have a photo.

I've only ever had one sale go bad on here, and that was thanks to the postman playing footy with the package or something like that.