Why become a member? ×

Used a Barefaced Vintage last night...

wateroftyne

Hi all

I'm doing a run of theatre gigs at the moment.

I'm using a fretless P for half the set, and a fretted P for the other half, both strung with flats. With that kind of thing, the magic all goes on in the mids,

My current cabs (Berg HS210s) are glorious, but I've never *loved* tweeters. Anyway, BC's own Conan kindly lent me his Barefaced Vintage. I used one before a while ago and I loved it, but I fancied another shot.

Rolled it in to the gig last night, hooked my Walkabout up, and straight away that lovely middy clarity was there, with a much smoother top thanks to the lack of tweeters. There's still top, just not the zingy kind. I'm not that kind of guy. The fretless was especially glorious, with a huge, detailed growl.

During the check I rolled a lot of the lows off because the FOH subs were carrying things, and I didn't want to muddy the stage up.

Of course, the cab weighs virtually nothing, but it's too big. I need something smaller and more modular, with the same characteristics.... time to think.... (one the waiting list has come down, of course!)

[quote name='Salt on your Bass?' timestamp='1352048908' post='1858151']
I bet that set up kills! Really tempted by WA and pairing it with a super15. If youre happy with the sound id go modular, 2 compacts or compact and a midget to add a bit more mid.

What style of music do you play with this?
[/quote]

There's a clue in the picture :-D

Hi folks!

[quote name='mokkat' timestamp='1352039405' post='1858013']
the obvious suggestion would be a Super 15 - basically the smaller framed 2x15 that replaced the Vintage because noone bought it for use with a tube amp anyway. Or two compacts for modularity
[/quote]

I didn't realise the 2x15 had been resized now. It's still a bit big for me, though - as is two Compacts. The Bergs I have are the perfect size, really.

[quote name='winterfire666' timestamp='1352042629' post='1858053']
If its the mids that you are after a super12 might be ideal. Plus much smaller than a vintage
[/quote]

I'm quite tempted by that, actually. I do like the idea of 2 x something smaller, though.

[quote name='Salt on your Bass?' timestamp='1352048908' post='1858151']
I bet that set up kills! Really tempted by WA and pairing it with a super15. If youre happy with the sound id go modular, 2 compacts or compact and a midget to add a bit more mid.

What style of music do you play with this?
[/quote]

It does - the Walkabout really works well with it. Like, amazingly so. A Compact and a Midget might do it, but... they look so awkward together!

As for the style of music... it's acoustic-based but still kicks a fair bit. Here's a song from an earlier night (not using the Vintage)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgffQn1ldkc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgffQn1ldkc[/url]

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1352053456' post='1858214']
A Compact on a box should do it, don't need the massive sensitivity since you have power, height being the other advantage.
[/quote]

I wonder how two Midgets would compare to a Compact?

The research continues...

I find the Midget very middy, too much so actually but it can take a big bass boost. Two would be great. Alex is right when he says compact plus midget is special though, they're greater than the sum of their parts

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1352069269' post='1858478']
I find the Midget very middy, too much so actually but it can take a big bass boost. Two would be great. Alex is right when he says compact plus midget is special though, they're greater than the sum of their parts
[/quote]

Definitely. I had a Compact & Midget, thought both were good cabs on their own, but together is when the magic starts to work.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1352071709' post='1858518']

Definitely. I had a Compact & Midget, thought both were good cabs on their own, but together is when the magic starts to work.
[/quote]

A very subjective thing. I found the Midget brought mid harshness to the party, upsetting the tonal nirvana that is the Compact.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1352019613' post='1857786']BC's own Conan kindly lent me his Barefaced Vintage. Of course, the cab weighs virtually nothing, but it's too big. [/quote]

No, you're just too small. :) :P

Actually, I know what you mean. It is, as you correctly say, very light. But somehow the positioning of the handles makes it an awkward lift. I actually find it easiest to carry it with one hand - but obviously that is only feasible over relatively short distances. Stairs are a real PITA... :huh:

Pleased you like the sound though! All the frustration about size and shape disappears once it's plugged in and ready to go! B) And, not that you need it with your current outfits, but the volume it is capable of is just insane... :o :blush:

Edited by Conan

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1352060880' post='1858351']

As for the style of music... it's acoustic-based but still kicks a fair bit. Here's a song from an earlier night (not using the Vintage)

[/quote]

That's really really good. I was a big fan of Lindisfarne when Meet Me On The Corner came out and for several years afterwards. The young man on guitar and vocals is doing a great job. Hope that you'll be coming darn sarf one day.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1352133816' post='1859166']

No, you're just too small. :) :P

Actually, I know what you mean. It is, as you correctly say, very light. But somehow the positioning of the handles makes it an awkward lift. I actually find it easiest to carry it with one hand - but obviously that is only feasible over relatively short distances. Stairs are a real PITA... :huh:

Pleased you like the sound though! All the frustration about size and shape disappears once it's plugged in and ready to go! B) And, not that you need it with your current outfits, but the volume it is capable of is just insane... :o :blush:
[/quote]

Ha! By 'too big' I mean it would take up too much room in the band van, and my music room. I don't mean it's too big for what it is, IYKWIM.

It really does make a glorious sound - I'm thinking about the Super Twelve which might be a decent compromise. We'll see.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1352147205' post='1859436']

That's really really good. I was a big fan of Lindisfarne when Meet Me On The Corner came out and for several years afterwards. The young man on guitar and vocals is doing a great job. Hope that you'll be coming darn sarf one day.
[/quote]

Cheers, Pete! I think we'll be doing more next year...