Why become a member? ×

At what stage do you call yourself a bass player?

Blademan_98

When I first started I thought of myself as a Bass player.

Then in a conversation with some muso mates who were far better players and more experienced than me, and who were looking for personell, one pointed to me and said, "he's got a Bass"

Thats when I realised the difference...

When others call you a Bass Player, it makes a subtle difference. and you begin to stop doubting yourself. Only begin to though, 35 years later and I still have my doubts about whether I'm actually just winging it.

At the moment i consider myself a [i]learner at intermediate stage.[/i]

will never consider myself a real player until I can play something by ear to a reasonable degree. I also think you have to be in a band or if you are no longer in a band, to have at one stage played in one in front of audiences for quite some time.

Interesting post andyj.

I'm now thinking about whether or not I could call myself an actor. I've been acting since the age of 6 but never as a professional. So I do think of myself in as an actor in one way, but would not introduce myself as an Actor. Although I don't particularly identify myself with my day job either. It's OK, but it's not 'who I am'. Its something I do to earn enough money to pursue my theatrical and musical interests.

I do remember when I first met my Ex at a party full of actors and musos. He (muso) said to me 'Are you an actor then?' and I replied without hesitation 'Yes'. I remember thinking at the time 'should I qualify this by saying I'm just an amateur?' and then thought 'no - I am a bloody actor, so there is no need to elaborate at this point!'. :)

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1351165590' post='1848101']
I play Football, does that make me a Footballer?
[/quote]

It's all about our mad mother tongue, maybe different in others, but in ours

Saying, I'm a bass player is ok regardless of level

Saying, I'm a footballer, implies your a pro

Saying, I'm a midfielder is ok, regardless if its for man utd or the dog n duck

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1351191889' post='1848563']
It's all about our mad mother tongue, maybe different in others, but in ours

Saying, I'm a bass player is ok regardless of level

Saying, I'm a footballer, implies your a pro

Saying, I'm a midfielder is ok, regardless if its for man utd or the dog n duck
[/quote]

It dpends on the question surely.

If its 'What do you do for a living?' The reply might be different, but if its what do you play ? then it might be I'm a Bass Player.

Otherwise my ability to play chopsticks would make me a Pianist, and I had violin lessons when I was 11, so if I can still manage Twinkle Twinkle little Star, I'd be a Violinist. So theres a difference.

As said earlier, and re reading it it looks a bit offensive, sorry. But havin the odd wafty krank wouldnt make you a W##ker would it ?

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1351243294' post='1849077']
It dpends on the question surely.

If its 'What do you do for a living?' The reply might be different, but if its what do you play ? then it might be I'm a Bass Player.

Otherwise my ability to play chopsticks would make me a Pianist, and I had violin lessons when I was 11, so if I can still manage Twinkle Twinkle little Star, I'd be a Violinist. So theres a difference.

As said earlier, and re reading it it looks a bit offensive, sorry. But havin the odd wafty krank wouldnt make you a W##ker would it ?
[/quote]

haha, see what you're getting at.

Pounding the parson = good, w##ker = derogatory term
Playing bass = good, b#ss pl#yer = derogatory term

You made me realise that I've seen myself as a bass player from day one: when I decided that the bass was to be my new main instrument. Never thought about it. It was just like that.
Probably has a lot to do with the fact I left organs, pianos and synths that day.

Fun thing is, I could find myself not playing synths for years, and not care at all (though I was always thinking about music).

Now, with the bass, a day is lost when I haven't played it.

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

I am a musician first and foremost, as I'm doing a degree in the subject, but I think I see myself as a bassist primarily...

I think this is because I truly love playing the instrument, and as corny as it sounds, I feel that I have a "special connection" with my instrument, which permits me to make the music that I love. I couldn't see myself playing another instrument like that.

I also love to groove... :D

Loads of great comments here!

I'm known as a bass player, I'm asked to do deps as a bass player, studio work as a bass player, guest spots as a bass player. I do play guitar and mandolin sometimes, but bass is what I'm known for!

Not sure that answers the qustion though. I suppose it's when you first get acknowledged by the public in a band really, otherwise you simply fall into the 'bedroom player' slot.

Ellie :on_the_quiet:

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1351691805' post='1854236']
Oh crap. I might be in a MOD band . What now? :-D
[/quote]

Report to your senior officer and SMARTEN YOURSELF UP, SOLDIER!

Edit: Ah, THAT sort of Mod. In that case:

Listen to the Kinks and the Who and SMARTEN YOURSELF UP, BASS PLAYER!

Edited by bremen