Why become a member? ×

Acoustic bass guitar at folk sessions

BassBus

I play DB at a local acoustic folk session but I would like to try an acoustic bass and see how that went. Do any of you play an acoustic bass acoustically with lots of other instruments around? How does it come through the collective noise? I'm talking purely acoustically with no amps present at all.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1350841319' post='1844125']
BUT - if the double bass is audible as part of the band, without being amplified, why should an acoustic with nice, bright-sounding phosphor bronze strings be less audible?

(Real question, as I don't play in a band.)
[/quote]

How about because it's five/six times the size? And even DB struggles against more than one instrument, especially guitars with nice bright sounding strings! Add even calmly played congas to the mix and you're pretty much gone....

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1350840812' post='1844114']
I think un-amplified your not going to be very audible up against guitars, mandolins, fiddles etc. ...
[/quote]
+1 on this; an acoustic bass unamplified will easily be drowned out by a strummed guitar, let alone anything else.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1350840812' post='1844114']
...And if you are going to be amplified, you might as well just use a P bass with flats which should fit in nicely.
[/quote]
Sorry, Graham, but I can't let that stand. I've heard this said a thousand times, and it never fails to amaze me that on a forum that obsesses about every detail of our kit, ostensibly on the grounds of nuances in sound, people will rush to dismiss an acoustic bass because it needs to be amplified, and say that you may as well play a P.

So let's just spell it out: an acoustic bass, amplified, sounds a lot more like an acoustic bass unamplified (just louder) than a solid body does. And some of us like that sound quite a lot, which is why we (sometimes) play acoustic basses.

And I've said nothing about the looks, because, of course, we all choose our kit on the basis of sound, not on looks, don't we. (/sarcasm). ;)

Sorry, I just love my acoustic bass, and the interested comments it ALWAYS gets. :)

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1350843877' post='1844173']
+1 on this; an acoustic bass unamplified will easily be drowned out by a strummed guitar, let alone anything else.

Sorry, Graham, but I can't let that stand. I've heard this said a thousand times, and it never fails to amaze me that on a forum that obsesses about every detail of our kit, ostensibly on the grounds of nuances in sound, people will rush to dismiss an acoustic bass because it needs to be amplified, and say that you may as well play a P.

So let's just spell it out: an acoustic bass, amplified, sounds a lot more like an acoustic bass unamplified (just louder) than a solid body does. And some of us like that sound quite a lot, which is why we (sometimes) play acoustic basses.

And I've said nothing about the looks, because, of course, we all choose our kit on the basis of sound, not on looks, don't we. (/sarcasm). ;)

Sorry, I just love my acoustic bass, and the interested comments it ALWAYS gets. :)
[/quote]

And... OTOH...
I tried and tried to use my Ovation in various (band) settings. My reward was usually not being heard or feedback.
I soon went to my fretless 'Ray 5 and stayed there.
It had a far better voice in most circumstances.
I still want an EUB for these sort of gigs. Most venues don't mind a bass amp!

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1350843877' post='1844173']

[/quote]

No worries mate, I'm sure I'd be the same about my kit, and to be honest I've only mucked about with an AB once or twice and never in a live mix :-)

Edited by Graham

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1350842572' post='1844147']
How about because it's five/six times the size? And even DB struggles against more than one instrument, especially guitars with nice bright sounding strings! Add even calmly played congas to the mix and you're pretty much gone....
[/quote]

I don't think I would agree with that. Our session has fiddles and banjos and flutes and whistles and guitars and accordions and the DB comes through very well. I'm told it can be heard in the bar across the hallway quite clearly. Maybe that's why I get all achy when I'm playing it.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1350846234' post='1844235']
I don't think I would agree with that. Our session has fiddles and banjos and flutes and whistles and guitars and accordions and the DB comes through very well. I'm told it can be heard in the bar across the hallway quite clearly. Maybe that's why I get all achy when I'm playing it.
[/quote]

Fair point and I agree it can happen. However, in a crowded bar, difficult acoustic or amongst certain instruments (which is why I mentioned congas) even the biggest sounding DB can get lost. Yes, I've played gigs unplugged where people at the back - including famously the sound guy who had managed to mess up our mix so badly through the PA that we gave up and went acoustic/backline - have said that the DB really cuts through and projects, but this is not something I can predict in advance of each individual gig, and I therefore can't rely on this happening. I can (generally) rely on my amp in any setting :)

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1350841319' post='1844125']
BUT - if the double bass is audible as part of the band, without being amplified, why should an acoustic with nice, bright-sounding phosphor bronze strings be less audible? (Real question, as I don't play in a band.)
[/quote]
The body size of an acoustic bass guitar isn't really big enough to project the sound of the bass.Look at the size
of a Double Bass,there is a big difference and it affects the volume and tone. Look at an acoustic bass guitar
like the old Ernie Ball Earthwood-it had a huge body,but would be able to project the sound better than the vast
majority of acoustic basses.
In straight up acoustic settings,an acoustic bass guitar is generally useless.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1350847722' post='1844265']
Fair point and I agree it can happen. However, in a crowded bar, difficult acoustic or amongst certain instruments (which is why I mentioned congas) even the biggest sounding DB can get lost. Yes, I've played gigs unplugged where people at the back - including famously the sound guy who had managed to mess up our mix so badly through the PA that we gave up and went acoustic/backline - have said that the DB really cuts through and projects, but this is not something I can predict in advance of each individual gig, and I therefore can't rely on this happening. I can (generally) rely on my amp in any setting :)
[/quote]

I must admit there have been a couple of occasions when one guy turns up with his cajon. That has such a deep, warm tone that it cancels out the DB completely if we hit our instruments at the same time.

Greetings! First post here.
I have owned an accoustic bass guitar and while it sounded like a piano with fresh strings....but only while amplified.
Interesting that Mariachi bangs use a 6 string variant called a Guitarr'on that is incredibly loud, and carries well even with trumpets in the act.

Wikipedia claims they were the Ernie Ball inspiration.
Rob

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1350841100' post='1844121']
That's what I was afraid of.

If I turned up to the session with an amp I'd be chucked out and never allowed back. :lol:
[/quote]

What about plugging it straight into the PA? I've done this at open mics a few times with my Crafter ABG and it's been accepted by the organisers & the punters.

Have to agree with what others have said about an ABG struggling against it's 6 string bretheren otherwise.

I struggle to get enough volume from my Crafter without an amp, which in turn makes my crappy technique even worse. The result is horrible so I have come to the conclusion that I need a small amp. It's ether that or dig out a pick and rattle them frets to death!

It doesn't need to be big amp so its not a big deal.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1350848326' post='1844276']
I must admit there have been a couple of occasions when one guy turns up with his cajon. That has such a deep, warm tone that it cancels out the DB completely if we hit our instruments at the same time.
[/quote]

Which perhaps sounds to the punters like a pleasing synergy of rhythm and tone, the only problem being whether you can hear yourself sufficiently well to intonate the note correctly in the first place :rolleyes:

I've owned several acoustic basses and I have found that it's often the cheap nasty smaller bodies ones that produce more volume, they are also more metallic sounding and will cut through more. Larger bodied , better quality basses make a nicer sound but don't cut through so much.
I have played mine in several folk sessions with mixed results:
Works better in a smaller room.
Depends how many (and what type of) other instruments join in.
How you play- to up the volume you have to work hard, I find a pick is too clunky sounding. I have been known to play slap!
Depends what you are trying to achieve , sensitive 12th fret noodling is out , but solid root note grooves with lots of open strings are ok.

Thinking laterally here, maybe sneak in a battery-0powered Roland Micro Cube combo, plonk it behind you and noone will spot it ... you get the benefit of amplification of your acoustic bass and hopefully (depending on placement) no feedback issues either

[url="http://www.andertons.co.uk/combo-amps/pid13888/cid691/roland-bass-microcube-rx-batterymains-powered-bass-ampfree-6m-lead.asp?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=pricecomp&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping"]http://www.andertons.co.uk/combo-amps/pid13888/cid691/roland-bass-microcube-rx-batterymains-powered-bass-ampfree-6m-lead.asp?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=pricecomp&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping[/url]

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1350849507' post='1844300']
What about plugging it straight into the PA? I've done this at open mics a few times with my Crafter ABG and it's been accepted by the organisers & the punters.
[/quote]

Hang on! It's OK for the singers to be amplified but not any of the instruments? Not right at all IMO.