Why become a member? ×

Best Basses for Pro Metal?

joejackson92

Ummm, anything?! Depends what kind of player you are, what tuning you're in (scale length), although strings can negate that difference (high tension strings etc).
I played metal for years with a Jazz bass with Dimarzio Humbuckers, sounded great.
Its just about what you prefer really.

Si

[quote name='joejackson92' timestamp='1350640343' post='1841525']
Any thoughts on what basses work well in the Prog metal genre. Probs 5 or 6 string?
[/quote]

It doesn't matter.Fender,Spector,Warwick,Mike Lull,anything.....get a bass you like and play it. You play the
music,not the bass.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1350665995' post='1842082']

It doesn't matter.Fender,Spector,Warwick,Mike Lull,anything.....get a bass you like and play it. You play the
music,not the bass.
[/quote]

Yup, totally totally totally agree. Get a bass set up well that you are really comfortable with and concern yourself with making music on it, not it's price tag :)*

*leaves before Jessie J gets sung out..

Anything you like or feel comfortable playing. You can always change your tone with those knob things on your amp etc etc :)

I play for a prog metal band (sort of). I use my 4 string Ibanez SR or Squier P bass. They also both fit perfectly with the blues rock band I shall going to rehearse with in about 30 mins :)

I've never understood this way of thinking. Up until recently I used basses that are used in anything other than metal normally.
If they work, feel right and give the sound YOU want, then your onto a win.
However, to keep with the thinking used currently, I'd try out what I've used for Progressive Metal for years now; Yamaha TRB6II.
More than enough dials to play with if you wish, built like a tank and the string spacing allows for pretty much anything.

Agree with everyone else, as with any style the best bass is the one that feels comfortable, gives you the sound you want and inspires you to play.

When I was in a metal band for years, I had warwicks, Yamaha TRBs and Ibanez, but my mainstay, my go-to bass over all the years was a USA Standard Jazz! That's until I got my first Sandberg.......... :D

If you come across one, I'd recommend trying a Sandberg Basic Ken Taylor 5, but if not Yamaha TRB or Ibanez Soundgear (depending on how you feel about string spacing and scale length), or a Lakland Skyline 55-01 would all be worth a try.

I'd say the brand is irrelevant if you like the bass and can get the sound you want out of it. For a lot of recent prog-type material a 5 or 6 would be good , both for the extended range and the ability to play across the neck in one position. Having said that, the famous proggers of the past managed okay with 4 strings.

In short, play what works for you!

this is turning into TalkBass.... pick up a bass and play metal.... i doesnt matter what bass your using... ok maybe a daisy rock might look a bit strange [u][u] :lol:[/u][/u]

imo you should play something different to everyone else and walk your own path
[u][u].[/u][/u]

Edited by bubinga5