Why become a member? ×

Drummer Rant

Truckstop

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1350310368' post='1837098']
My band's drummer is annoying me by booking us gigs without actually contacting anyone else in the band first. Then getting all stroppy when one of us says we can't make it. He's the only one without other commitments, so just ploughs ahead and confirms stuff...
[/quote]

Yeah I would cut him slack, it's hard enough to get gigs and if you do get one but tell the venue " I have to check with the guys first" it doesn't go down well and having to make 5 phone calls just to confirm a gig is a real pain. then again he is a drummer so not sure if you have taught him how to use a phone

Google calanders is a godsend. If you haven't book the night off then your gigging !!

Edited by swanbrook

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1350316585' post='1837201']
Set up a band google calendar and make sure everyone keeps it up to date with their n/a's. Gives whoever is trying to get gigs for the band a fighting chance.

I can understand his pain. It can be a thankless task trying to get gigs, particularly new ones. The struggles getting to speak to the right person, catching them with their diary / when they are not trying to run the bar, etc., so when you do manage to actually catch them and get a couple of dates free to find that all the effort is piss in the wind because someone else in the band suddenly is not available can be extremely galling. It's why my lot are likely to find that we don't have many gigs next year as I have got past caring :(
[/quote]
[quote name='swanbrook' timestamp='1350326052' post='1837386']
Yeah I would cut him slack, it's hard enough to get gigs and if you do get one but tell the venue " I have to check with the guys first" it doesn't go down well and having to make 5 phone calls just to confirm a gig is a real pain. then again he is a drummer so not sure if you have taught him how to use a phone

Google calanders is a godsend. If you haven't book the night off then your gigging !!
[/quote]

I set up a google calendar last year. But having to tell the drummer, every practice, how to access it got a bit annoying.

I know it's a nightmare trying to get gigs and he is the one who puts the most work in, and he is trying to get us out of the rut we're in at the moment.

I guess I really need to sort out the google calendar thing a bit better...

Prog Metal/Symphonic Metal band (I'm not quite sure what is, I'm covering all bases there <--- look a pun :)), is having a hellish time finding a drummer.

Their original drummer was brilliant, creative and like a metronome. I played live with him once, without any rehearsals, and it was so easy to play. I knew exactly where I was in the songs from just listening to him.

Unfortunately he left. His replacement was totally inappropriate. I didn't listen to him. He'd play something different every time he played, he never listened to the song or the rest of us, so the rhythm even changed. He's been...moved on.

i find that drummers tend to just want to play the hardest fastest thing they can find. i dont know what it is, a fair few of my friends are drummers, and all they talk about is being able to play fast and about post hardcore music, which i think was invented by drummers with bad taste. Chad smith is my kinda drummer. he's defo not a typical funk rock player, but he still beats the hell out of it. and his other work too, amazing. i think what makes him good is the fact that he isn't just a drummer, he is also a pianist and a guitarist, and probably even a bassist too, so he knows what he has to do to make a drum part fit a song, which i have found some drummers don't know how to do, then blame it on me, the bassist...

The problem is that there just aren't very many drummers. Drums are just about the least practical instruments around so very few people have either the space or the family/neighbours willing enough to indulge them in having a set at home. The consequence is that drums are not a very popular instrument, and then, to make matters worse, a high proportion of drummers literally never touch the drums unless they're at a band practice or a gig. So you've got small numbers of them in the first place, magnified by the fact that a high proportion of that small number just can't/won't practice.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1350480228' post='1839437']
The problem is that there just aren't very many drummers. Drums are just about the least practical instruments around so very few people have either the space or the family/neighbours willing enough to indulge them in having a set at home. The consequence is that drums are not a very popular instrument, and then, to make matters worse, a high proportion of drummers literally never touch the drums unless they're at a band practice or a gig. So you've got small numbers of them in the first place, magnified by the fact that a high proportion of that small number just can't/won't practice.
[/quote]

This is compounded further by the fact that these days most people use a smapler or a loop in the studio so there's no work for the ones that are good, can practice and don't mind lugging all the kit around.
I put down my sticks years ago because I got much more work on bass. But recently I'm starting to see the demand for a good drummer, having played with a couple who are... mm well OK, the rest useless.

I was considering getting my drums out of the loft the other day. Then the guitarist in one of my bands asks me if I know a drummer because ours is unavailable for a one off covers gig in December. Well as it happens I don't, but I know a few bass players who I would gladly have dep for me... So out come the drums! (I need to loose a little weight anyway)

Also I've had drummers in the past lie about their practice. They say they practice every day, when really they haven't even got their kit out the back of the van all week!

Well it's a pain in the arse any way you look at it. We can't offer £100+ a gig (but we gig 5-6 times a month) so we're looking for an enthusiastic amateur and there are none about. At least none with any sort of skill level.

Truckstop

Trucksop

[sup]Drummers seem to get a lot of sh*t and I'm not certain why (not been around any tbh). I had a go a few times and getting each limb to do something different is really really really hard if not impossible. Want 4 things all hit at once fine, Want that hit once, that twice and that thrice for evrey four bashes of that and it's quite a different story. (ok that would probably sound dreadful but you get the point). [/sup]

[sup]So, why the derision?[/sup]

[quote name='Steve G' timestamp='1350481909' post='1839471']
[sup]Drummers seem to get a lot of sh*t and I'm not certain why (not been around any tbh). I had a go a few times and getting each limb to do something different is really really really hard if not impossible. Want 4 things all hit at once fine, Want that hit once, that twice and that thrice for evrey four bashes of that and it's quite a different story. (ok that would probably sound dreadful but you get the point). [/sup]

[/quote]

Because the VAST majority of them richly deserve it - in my experience anyway.

[quote name='Steve G' timestamp='1350481909' post='1839471']

[/quote]

I'm not derisive about them. Its really bloody hard (and quite physically demanding)---I certainly can't do it. But finding good ones is hard, mainly just because of practical reasons like I mentioned above :(

Before this becomes a drummer slagging thread,I'd like to say that some of the best 'Musicians' I've worked
with have been drummers. Sure,I've done the odd gig with guys who's world ends at the end of the bass drum,but
that's also true of just as many (probably more) guitar players.

With regards to practice,I don't think it's about the instrument..it's about the mind set.Drummers can easily keep their hands
working by spending a bit of time on a pad.
I know plenty of players of all instruments who don't play from one gig/rehearsal/lesson to the next,and it shows.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1350483932' post='1839512']

With regards to practice,I don't think it's about the instrument..it's about the mind set.Drummers can easily keep their hands
working by spending a bit of time on a pad.
I know plenty of players of all instruments who don't play from one gig/rehearsal/lesson to the next,and it shows.
[/quote]

Agree... you can tell pretty easily but you only get 'conned' once

It depends somewhat on the repertoire, imho. One doesn't need a [Cobham|Bozio|Weckl] (delete as appropriate...) for 95% of the pop tunes in many cover bands set-lists, and a solid, simple beat, with a few tastily-applied fills or accents cover most of the ground, in my experience. From then on, it's a bit like riding a bike; once you've got it, you don't lose it overnight (or even over a few years...).
I went through a pretty long hiatus, having played 'pro' variety for a few years, but when I took it back up with my 2 sons, I had little to really work on to get back up to the level required for our set (SOAD, Rage..., Floyd, AC/DC, Noir Desire...), although I simplified the double-bass stuff. One has to keep the supple wrists and ankles in shape, but one doesn't need the full kit for that.
If, on the other hand, the drummer is not capable of listening, or cannot keep a 4/4 beat going with a descent around the kit, then there's little hope for the band.
Not the same for prog. rock, fusion, or high-pressure metal, I'll grant, but for most pop-rock, it's no big deal staying 'alive' without intensive training (well, OK, house training, but I have old age as [i]my [/i]excuse..!).
Go for it, BS79; you'll do better than you thought you would, I'm sure...