Why become a member? ×

Led Zep - Great Article!

merello

https://apps.facebook.com/theguardian/p/3b3h5/tw

[quote]Jones remembers being shocked by Rolling Stone's damning review of their first album, and still sounds irritated by the resentment of the group's success. "I thought we were about the most honest band out there," he says. "We were playing music that we loved for the reason that we loved it. I remember reading somewhere a musician saying that at a festival: 'I saw piles of Fender basses.' I thought: you bastard. I had one bass for like eight years in Zeppelin. One Jazz bass, my 1962 Jazz bass – and I know it was 1962 because that was the year I bought it, new."[/quote]

I love Led Zep and I'm not into rock at all. But there was something magical about them. So much power and professionalism from three people. I REALLY wish they'd reform and do a few more concerts. I'd fly from NZ for a ticket.

I disagree with Plants perception of raking over the coals. Its more about sharing a legacy with a new generation. I wasn't able to attend concerts when Led Zep were in their prime. They could be cementing their legacy rather than being a shadow of their former selves.

This is about being generous, not about protecting integrity.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1350025690' post='1833564']

I love Led Zep and I'm not into rock at all. But there was something magical about them. So much power and professionalism from three people. I REALLY wish they'd reform and do a few more concerts. I'd fly from NZ for a ticket.

I disagree with Plants perception of raking over the coals. Its more about sharing a legacy with a new generation. I wasn't able to attend concerts when Led Zep were in their prime. They could be cementing their legacy rather than being a shadow of their former selves.

This is about being generous, not about protecting integrity.
[/quote]
Not that I disagree but the trouble is that Zep always has an air of mistique about them!

It seems that Plant feels that a full blown reunion will diminish that whereas a one off gig out of nowhere just helps to sustain the legacy! He may be right, but I for one would love the chance to see LZ live.....

Quote from Plant ;

"It would be precocious of me to walk to the front of the stage and take on a kind of rock singer pose, at that time in my being – and that's five years ago. I could only send it up, and I don't want to do that."

I think he has a perfectly valid point and applaud his attitude when there are so many ageing rockers still grinding out tours to an ever diminishing audience.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1350032966' post='1833681']
Quote from Plant ;

"It would be precocious of me to walk to the front of the stage and take on a kind of rock singer pose, at that time in my being – and that's five years ago. I could only send it up, and I don't want to do that."

I think he has a perfectly valid point and applaud his attitude when there are so many ageing rockers still grinding out tours to an ever diminishing audience.[/quote]

I think its selfish at worst and self depreciating at best. The band has already acknowledged their impact on popular music, they're every bit as significant as The Beatles. They should share it...if nothing it would cement their place in musical immortality.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1350033726' post='1833698']

I think its selfish at worst and self depreciating at best. The band has already acknowledged their impact on popular music, they're every bit as significant as The Beatles. They should share it...if nothing it would cement their place in musical immortality.
[/quote]
Dunno about selfish, it's his legacy and up to him to decide what to do with it!

However, it is a shame......

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1350033726' post='1833698']
[/quote]

You mentioned earlier that there was something 'magical' about them. One of the biggest contributing factors to this - which Page and Grant got spot-on - is their reluctance to do TV shows, release singles etc. etc. all the way through to a refusal by some of the band to do a reunion tour.

It all feeds the fire of the Zeppelin myth.

It hurts - I adore them and I'd love to see 'em.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1350034022' post='1833704']
Its not up to him to judge whether its a legacy or not.
[/quote]
History will be the final judge but he has more right than you or me

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1350035736' post='1833733']

You mentioned earlier that there was something 'magical' about them. One of the biggest contributing factors to this - which Page and Grant got spot-on - is their reluctance to do TV shows, release singles etc. etc. all the way through to a refusal by some of the band to do a reunion tour.

It all feeds the fire of the Zeppelin myth.

It hurts - I adore them and I'd love to see 'em.
[/quote]
Absolutely

i am a zeppelin nut!! but I am glad they did not reform for a tour. Why?, because Bonzo's not around of course. That's why they split up in the first place, no Bonzo-no Zeppelin. looking forward to the DVD. I have seen a bootleg version and though Jason does a good job, He's no Bonzo. I reckon Plant would struggle with a full blown tour, as his voice is not what it used to be (just ask Ian Gillan). So IMO leave well enough alone and protect the legacy.

The one-off was the best way (though should have been a few more dates to fill demand) that way the "I want to see Zeppelin and i cuoldn't cos i wasn't alive" crowd got a bite at it, and they didn't become Quo or McCartney to be wheeled out at every single public event and become universally hated by all right thinking people, despite having previously done great work.

Zeppelin are probably my favourite band ever, and I would give my left nut to see them, but not at the expense of them becoming like the aforementioned whores. :)