Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New Sadowsky NYC 5, what colour? PICS NOW IN. :)

phsycoandy

As you may know I have been wanting a NYC 5 Sadowsky for some time (see wanted postings) to no avail, had some offers but nothing that really ticked my boxes in full. The purchase was in memory of my late Father who left me some money, and I wanted to buy something that I could remember him buy rather than just fritter the money away.
I have a Metro 4 that I have had for many years and love it to bits, but wanted a 5 string to complement it. The 5'er will be known as Five string Fred (my dads name).
I have spoken at length with Kevin at Sadowsky HQ and mentioned the Will Lee 5 string neck being narrower and to my preference, he stated the WL neck dimensions could be specified to any NYC bass, but obviously missing the mid boost switch, which Im not too fussed about. So I intend to order:
Now the big question, what colour? My Metro is Olympic white, but I have a hankering for a natural vintage tint, not sure on maple or RW board though, but would like other suggestions before I push the button!
So please, suggestions and pic samples, feed my eyes and entertain my need to get it right.
Over to you:

Edited by phsycoandy

[quote name='phsycoandy' timestamp='1349383553' post='1825701']
Yup a bit like that perhaps lighter with more grain showing! how do i spec' that to Sadowsky?
[/quote]

Just send them a picture.

Or look at their list of recently sold basses,([url="http://www.sadowsky.com/stock/nyc_b_rs.html"]http://www.sadowsky....k/nyc_b_rs.html[/url]) find one that has a finish you like and send them the details. They will have records for a lot of the instruments they have made, so finding the right finish shouldn't be a problem. Good luck with bass, it will be a cracker!

Edited because my linking skills are atrocious...

Edited by thodrik

Man, I'm so jealous! But what a great way of keeping your father's memory alive :)

I'm a sucker for Fender's 60's custom block colours. My favourites are Shoreline Gold, Sonic and Daphne Blue, Surf Green and Fiesta Red. Got to love Olympic White with a Rosewood pickguard too but there's a lot of them around at the moment. For me, it would be a maple fretboard and an ash body, a la the MV line.

Matching headstocks with these colours just look killer as well. Really looking forward to seeing the pics whatever you decide on!

Sherwood green is catching my eye atm I used to have a Lakland DPLE1 in Sherwood metallic. Obviously it would be 5 string, would a matching head stock on RW board make it look too dark?

[IMG]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j135/phsycoandy/5898_full_zpsd04d02e0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j135/phsycoandy/6105_full_zps7e8020c0.jpg[/IMG]

Shoreline Gold and Sonic Blue are two of my favourite custom colours (I love Capri Orange and Shell Pink too but maybe not appropriate in this case?) A matching headstock would look lovely with the rosewood. Roger does have some very nice Brazillian rosewood (Mastergrade - $600 upcharge) - as others have suggested, I'm not sure if it's legal to ship this into the UK but I'd go for it if possible. Also, I'd be thinking of dots and bound (again if possible - I'm a big fan of the '66 look).