Why become a member? ×

later ......."live"

lurksalot

There has been a lot of the Beach boys on Sky Arts of late... from the earlier days type documentaries to the latest Brain Wilson concerts.

Brian was regarded as the genius but that is mostly self-hype in some ways. They had their sound and they made a definitive album or maybe two
and then Brian went AWOL.
When he eventually came back, two brothers had died by then, pretty much so the Beach boys were always going to be a studio band.
His latest tour was decent TV and some of the songs stood up but the great band rescued him as he could barely hold a note..

No idea how old he is..or what he has been through, but for live he just about is still there... which is the same as you could say for
other big artists of his day..or maybe more so.

Maybe he was the writer all along and the main singing was carried out by Love and his brothers.

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1349209587' post='1823433']
The Beach Boys were disapointing and had way too many people on stage. I lost count of how many guitars there were (4 or 5?) [b]and everyone seemed to do backing vocals.[/b]
[/quote]
ha ha!... er, you were being ironic, right?

IIRC, they always went mob-handed on stage.
As song as they were a name, they had numerous backing musicians to create their sound and harmonies.
The current band is excellent at that... as you would expect it to have to be..as they were a 'vocal' band if nothing else.

I think Brian Wilson was undoubtedly a genius at his peak. That was in the 60s, though. It's uncomfortable to see him on stage now, not just because he looks frail but because his voice is totally shot (the amount of autotune used for his live shows recently is obscene). I watched some of their recent shows online and his voice sounded almost as digital as the horrific DX7 electric piano sounds they were using.

As for the Beach Boys, they will never be the same without Carl and Dennis and even then they should probably have packed it in at the end of the 70s, IMO.

[quote]Beach boys? Not relevant anymore, go away.

Wish jools would get Rush, Rammstein or Slayer on his show to,liven things up a bit.
Or Joe satriani.)
[/quote]

I love the thought that the Beach Boys aren't relevant but Rush, Slayer, or Satriani would be :lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1349209613' post='1823434']
Brian was regarded as the genius but that is mostly self-hype in some ways. [/quote]

You're joking, right?

[quote]No idea how old he is..or what he has been through, but for live he just about is still there... which is the same as you could say for
other big artists of his day..or maybe more so.[/quote]

Brian has just celebrated his 70th birthday. Given the fact that he's been deaf in one ear for about 60 years and had numerous drug, health, and mental problems its amazing he can still perform live at all, really.

[quote]Maybe he was the writer all along and the main singing was carried out by Love and his brothers.
[/quote]

The beauty of the beach boys is that they all had very individual voices and they were all used for different things. Brian was never really the main singer, but thats not to say that he was never able to sing. His main talent was definitely for songwriting, arranging, and producing though.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1349271644' post='1824062']
I love the thought that the Beach Boys aren't relevant but Rush, Slayer, or Satriani would be :lol: :lol: :lol:

You're joking, right?

Brian has just celebrated his 70th birthday. Given the fact that he's been deaf in one ear for about 60 years and had numerous drug, health, and mental problems its amazing he can still perform live at all, really.

The beauty of the beach boys is that they all had very individual voices and they were all used for different things. Brian was never really the main singer, but thats not to say that he was never able to sing. His main talent was definitely for songwriting, arranging, and producing though.
[/quote]

No.. not joking. I think he was the writer of some very good work... but I don't think he was a genius by any stretch.

• 1 month later...

I've never really undertstood if JL sings like an out of tune trumpet up someone's ass on purpose, or he really can't sing in tune to save his life.
I liked the Pisotls but the repetitive, boring rhythms and noises, coupled with JL wailing over the top is a sound that I really can't listen to.

I know the thread's drifted off it but I just thought I'd clear up the initial point, Muse do not mime (apparently the Olympics performance was mimed as they all were but that's the only exception). Bellamy has a habit of singing far from the mic and his vocals set up is geared to compensate for it, they use a mic with a long range, run it through a compressor, adjust the gain manually etc. Perhaps more to the point though, I thought Jools had a blanket no miming policy?

Muse? Great band when they started out but have become more conservative as they moved on. If you go hack to some of their earlier stuff it was fresh and for a short time prog for its time e.g. Plug in baby and Hysteria still hit the spot for me. Thats why you hear the bass lines from Hysteria being played by young players in every other guitar shop you go into.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dm_5qWWDV8[/media]

Edited by Pinball

As some said..Muse made their pitch for the corporate proggish market and they do that very well, in terms of sales.
They are what they are, nothing offensive and borderline bland..
You either buy their stuff or you don't.

JL is gathering his pension fund but has enough about him to 'convince'

If you asked any of them, if they would still want to be performing in 20-30 years time, you'd hopefully get a 'yes'
but whether that means they still have something to say, or they just love performing, or they can't do anything else to rpovide for their old age..?? you decide..!!
And when you do... compare that to the 1000's of covers and tribute bands making a living over a fair few years.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1352255689' post='1860844']
I know the thread's drifted off it but I just thought I'd clear up the initial point, Muse do not mime (apparently the Olympics performance was mimed as they all were but that's the only exception). Bellamy has a habit of singing far from the mic and his vocals set up is geared to compensate for it, they use a mic with a long range, run it through a compressor, adjust the gain manually etc. Perhaps more to the point though, I thought Jools had a blanket no miming policy?
[/quote]

Cheers Bob ,
I guess it is a lot of component trickery , it just didn't seem right , when you hear something and see something and it doesn't quite compute IYSWIM .