Why become a member? ×

Fairport Convention 9pm BBC4

spinynorman

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' timestamp='1347657556' post='1803823']
I forgot just how good Peggy is. What a player and what a feel
[/quote]

I think my mileage is most definitely varying on this one.
The Missus is watching it and it's driving me mental. Someone get that SR505 off him and thrust a Jazz 5 or summat in his hands.
Waaaaaay too forward.
Aaahh! Thank the Lord! it's finished!

Seems like they glossed over quite a bit in covering the early years. It did strike me that the english folk rock idea was ok, but just couldn't support talents like Sandy Denny and Richard Thompson for more than one album. I started to get restless when Iain Matthews leaves and by the time Richard goes I've handed the remote to my wife and left her with the Million Pound Drop.

I watched the Richard Thompson prog when I got in from seeing the Plainsong Farewell gig tonight.

Weird, as I'd just seen Julian Dawson in the flesh and there he was with RT.

Mark Griffith was on very tasty fretless Bass with Plainsong, his other claim to fame apart from playing with everybody since Cliff and far beyond is that he is the man behind the Sue Ryder Bass and other guitars!

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1347660065' post='1803875']
I think my mileage is most definitely varying on this one.
The Missus is watching it and it's driving me mental. Someone get that SR505 off him and thrust a Jazz 5 or summat in his hands.
Waaaaaay too forward.
[/quote]

+1 , I was fine for the first 15min then it just wasn't right , a bit irritating really , fine playing but just toooo much of it IMO

I was gigging last night (and tonight as well) so will have to catch up with it on iPlayer.

I'm an SR505 user as well but I think Peggy tends to push the top end a little too far, especially as a pick player, but then it wouldn't do for everyone to sound the same... :)

Bumped into him a few times over the years and I have to say he's one of the nicest blokes you could wish to meet. :)

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1347715088' post='1804278']
Don't agree.. I quite liked the sound... already people sound too much the same.
Great playing by the way.. great phrasing and ideas.
[/quote]

I loved the tone, phrasing , ideas and great playing , for me I find I often tend to listen for the bass , but on this occasion I was struggling to hear anything else .
[heresy] if the bass was to come out for parts , great, but it seemed far to prominent in the mix , each to his own though [/heresy]

did I really say that !!!!!!

I read an interview with Mr Pegg in one of the bass mags a few years ago and I loved the guy for the sponsership he had secured ...not for him a fancy bass guitar manufacturer,nor a nice amp builder,not even a string maker...no ....he was sponsored by......Wadsworth six x.....Brilliant!....as much beer as you can drink,what a way to save money! ;)

I enjoy Pegg's sound and playing in the current lineup. It's not the sound I would go for myself, but I like the way he's really not trying to sound like he did "back in the day". I reckon there has always been an element of instrumental flash to Fairport, and Pegg was always in on it, like when he doubles the melody on the fiddle sets. I went to see Dave Swarbrick last night (playing with Martin Carthy), and he's still a right old showoff too, but in the nicest possible way!