Why become a member? ×

Courier Suggestions - urgent!

GarethFlatlands

I've had a guitar up for sale for a few months and may have a buyer but it would need to be couriered. I've not got much experience with this so can anyone tell me the most reliable and reasonably priced places to go to get quotes from and more importantly, who to avoid like six copies of the Nicki Minaj album with free airborne plague. He's said it needs to be this week hence the new thread rather than trawling through old forum threads.
Thanks

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1347297901' post='1799011']
Paisley Freight [url="http://www.paisleyfreight.com/"]http://www.paisleyfreight.com/[/url]
[/quote]

I like Paisleyfreight and have used them a couple of times. But last time I attempted to use them to courier a bass, they refused to insure.

Interparcel or Parcel2go are both worth checking out.

Don`t use Parcelforce - their exclusions for insurance include musical instruments. Even though they will happily accept the money for extra insurance, as guitars are excluded, you get nothing for loss/damage. they get out of this by stating it`s the customers responsibility to read the exclusions.

Should have added, I recently had dealings with Citylink, over a mishap (they collected the wrong item/I gave them the wrong item), and their customer service was very good indeed in dealing with the issue. Big thumbs up, a company with actual people on the end of a phone, who call you to sort the problem.

Edited by Lozz196

I've use [url="http://www.wey-group.co.uk/about_us.htm"]Wey Group[/url] to send but they're probably no good to you in Sheffield.

More recently [url="https://www.deltec-courier.com/"]Deltec[/url] delivered the Squier P I bought on here overnight Cardiff -> Guildford for £13 & with no problems

Poster above is quite right to warn about parcelforce and insurance but it's not quite true to say instruments are excluded from claims but the packaging requirements listed on their guidelines are so onerous they may as well be. No other courier is so demanding. The prosebass they carried for me looked like it has been machine gunned after they'd finished with it

Another big +10000000 for Interparcel.

I recently shipped a bass and got quotes from both IP and Parcel2go. IP undercut P2G by a tenner and the bass was picked up THAT afternoon and received at the other end of the country first thing the next morning!! Well impressed.

I`m waiting on a Markbass 410 (being picked up on Weds, delivered Thur). It`s cost £47 for Next Day Before 10:30am Delivery, insured for £500, with City Link, via Interparcel. Bearing in mind that`s a large, heavy item, with high insurance, I think that`s pretty good. I`ve usually used Parcel2go, but looks like Interparcel are the way forward.

There are loads of threads about this all over the forum already.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1347300797' post='1799068']
Interparcel or Parcel2go are both worth checking out.

Don`t use Parcelforce - their exclusions for insurance include musical instruments. Even though they will happily accept the money for extra insurance, as guitars are excluded, you get nothing for loss/damage. they get out of this by stating it`s the customers responsibility to read the exclusions.

[/quote]

Parcelforce will pay compensation, but only up to a maximum of £150 , and this isn't increased by the additional insurance.

Parcel2go are not much better, IMHO: from their terms and conditions:

Guitars - maximum parcel compensation value for damages is £100, up to £1000 compensation for lost items. Guitars must be sent in a hard case.

Interparcel, if you use them once and set up an account there's a 5% discount when you go back.

The UPS option is called Interparcel Economy. There's also Standard, but it's always been delivered next day for UK deliveries on Economy. The UPS driver has been so often he noticed the new carpet in the hall.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1347385591' post='1800098']
There are loads of threads about this all over the forum already.

Parcelforce will pay compensation, but only up to a maximum of £150 , and this isn't increased by the additional insurance.

Parcel2go are not much better, IMHO: from their terms and conditions:

Guitars - maximum parcel compensation value for damages is £100, up to £1000 compensation for lost items. Guitars must be sent in a hard case.
[/quote]

Yes, things have obviously changed. Last time I sent a bass by Parcel2go, I checked their Parcelforce service, and all guitars were excluded. Seems things are a little better now.