Why become a member? ×

Tech 21 VT Bass. Vs. DHA VT1-EQ-Bass-Drive

Who's Who

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hello effects Guru's[/font][/color]

Just after a bit of advice for a new pedal, and I don't really have much experience in the way of pedals, but I'll do my best to describe what I'm after.
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]What I'm basically looking for is to have the pedal on all the time (rather than an occasional effect) with a very slight overdriven sound. A kind of warmer, tube type slight overdrive (if that makes sense).[/font][/color]
I [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]have a Hartke Hydrive rig, and while it's great, it is rather clinical. And while I'd love and Ampeg SVT rig I have neither the space or cash flow to get one.[/font][/color]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]So I'm led to believe the two pedals I've mentioned above are designed to replicate the SVT tube sound. I'm hoping I'm right in thinking this and just wondered if people have any experience of them both and which would suit my needs better (or if there's a completely different pedal I should be considering).[/color][/font]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]So if anyone could suggest me a pedal just to 'warm up' my sound a little it would be greatly appreciated.[/font][/color]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]Many Thanks in advance,[/color][/font]

I own a VT bass and I've owned a DHA VT3 rackmount preamp. I didnt really like the DHA, even after trying various different preamp valves. Just wasnt the sound for me at the time. I think it would have been better suited to guitar, in hindsight.

The VT sounds great and does a very good ampeg impression. I'd go VT every time if that's the tone you want.

Edited by Wil

I had a DHA VT1 for the very same purpose, and it was great. The controls take a bit of fiddling with, especially to someone like myself that doesn`t really understand the techie-talk, but once you hit the sweet spot for what you`re after, well it`s very good indeed. It really warmed up the sound, with that added bit of break-up that Ampegs are famed for.

I've had both - the Sansamp will give you the 'wooliness' and dirt of the SVT rigs very easily, but that's pretty much the only sound I could get mine to make.
The DHA will take a bit more getting used to, as you've got the 'mid' and 'Q' control too. I prefer the DHA, as it has loads more features (DI out, line in and headphone socket) for roughly the same money, but ultimately it's your choice.

I've got a DHA VT1 EQ, and from what you are saying I think it's the thing you are after. Also it's valve driven so will give you a real valve sound. I've tried the Tech 21 stuff, and was very impressed, but it's solid state and I found the sound more 'active'. The DHA has a lot of scope too, from very subtle to heavy distortion.

Hey there - I take it from your profile pic that you must be an Entwistle fan right?? Well Im in a Who tribute band up in Newcastle and use the DHA VT1 EQ for the exact purpose you describe - always on for a slight drive - aggressive but not overpowering.

If you need more gain (pinball wizard "dur-ders") the pedal can do it easilly, although I find as I increase the gain I have to increase the treble on the bass guitar for the sound I like.

Just generally excellent!!!

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1347226528' post='1798339']
Maybe buy a Behringer BDI-21 first? They're £30 new and in my opinion are just as good as a Sansamp. Can't comment on the DHA though, but the BDI-21 gets a thumbs up from me[/quote]

Good advice. There's a thread on TB where the BDI-21 and BDDI were compared and the vast majority couldn't hear the difference.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1347226528' post='1798339']
Maybe buy a Behringer BDI-21 first? They're £30 new and in my opinion are just as good as a Sansamp. Can't comment on the DHA though, but the BDI-21 gets a thumbs up from me.

Truckstop
[/quote]
+1. I`ve had the Sansamp BDDI, the MXR M-80, and the Behringer BDI-21, and kept the Behringer. It has a more amp-like tone to me, rather than an effects pedal type tone. The tracks on my covers bands site, The Daves, were recorded through the Behringer straight to desk, for an idea on its sound.

I think for the warm valvey tone, the BDI is brilliant, but i personall feel it lacks a lot when it comes to getting a bit of drive into the tone. Coupled with a Marshall Jackhammer (As i think Chrismuzz does with his Jackhammer and BDDI) it can give you exactly what you want IMO. Though i am planning on getting myself a VT Bass, as i personally think it's one of the best OD's on the market.

Liam

I have the DHA and I can only concur with what has already been said. I've never used the Tech 21 but from what I've seen and heard it does a very good job of replicating the Ampeg sound, the DHA on the other hand is it's own being completely. While you can get a pretty close ampeg-esque sound out of it, it will give you so much more. I run mine between my effects and my amp and it rounds off the edges of the sound and warms everything up a treat! It comes in useful as an active DI too.

But then, like I said, I haven't used the Tech 21 so I don't really know how it compares.

+1 again on the bdi21. i picked up one for a bargain £12 off ebay. The mains doesnt work on it (quite a common fault i believe) but the 9v battery does.

Get a decent SVT/tube sound and if u crank the drive a bit more than the suggested settings in the manual you can get some serious overdrive. Sounds mega for some RATM tracks like know your enemy. I keep mine turned on all the time through the amps efx loop.

[quote name='Bo Millward' timestamp='1347238387' post='1798439']
I've got a DHA VT1 EQ too here's a recording done with it:

[media]http://soundcloud.com/harmonyofthought/youre-the-worst-instrumental[/media]

I'd highly recommend it, its the most important piece of kit in my rig next to my bass!
[/quote]

That was awesome mate! Cracking tune, and tone :)

[quote name='Bo Millward' timestamp='1347238387' post='1798439']
I've got a DHA VT1 EQ too here's a recording done with it:

[media]http://soundcloud.com/harmonyofthought/youre-the-worst-instrumental[/media]

I'd highly recommend it, its the most important piece of kit in my rig next to my bass!
[/quote]

NIce tune Bo. +1 for the VT1 EQ too - absolutely essential bit of kit for me too.

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1347457759' post='1801075']
Don't forget you can experiment with different valves in the DHA. :)
[/quote]

ooooooh yeah! Just got a Mullard ECC82 from a chap on here - just tames it a little, but it's still got enough hair on its balls.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1347466301' post='1801259']
Has anyone done this with various ECC83s? I'd be interested to hear the difference it makes...
[/quote]

Me, I have! Mine came fitted with an Electro Harmonix, and a Mullard spare which I tried out. The EH gives more gain and distortion where as the Mullard is very gentle. Too gentle for me in fact, so much so that I put the EH back in, which surprised me as I'm not a heavy doom guy. I still get a good sweep on the gain pot with the EH though, It's nothing like an OBT where the gain goes huge after the 3rd notch.