Why become a member? ×

Cubase LE or Reaper?

Beer of the Bass

I've recently picked up a Zoom H4N to do some basic recording with, with the intention of capturing my tracks on the Zoom then exporting to my laptop to mix them. It came bundled with Cubase LE 7, which I gather is a "light" version of Cubase. I also have a couple of friends who seem to rate Reaper quite highly, and it's very cheap to buy. I'm unlikely to use it for anything much more complicated than mixing a few tracks of audio and applying a bit of compression and EQ, maybe the odd reverb plug-in. Probably no VSt instruments either, as I don't have a MIDI interface and I'm quite attached to my physical keyboards.
Are there any situations where the limitations of Cubase LE might bite me in the bum, that would make Reaper the better option, or should I just stick with LE as I have it already?

I find Reaper hard to get my head round, it seems rather counter-intuitive to me. With a poor help section (that others say is great, so it must just be me).

I'm used to Logic Audio (a very old PC version), so that might be it. Or not. I had trouble with Cubase back in the day as well.

However, Reaper is free, and for free it is absolutely amazing.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1346762130' post='1792766']...I'm unlikely to use it for anything much more complicated than mixing a few tracks of audio and applying a bit of compression and EQ, maybe the odd reverb plug-in. Probably no VSt instruments either, as I don't have a MIDI interface and I'm quite attached to my physical keyboards.[/quote]

^ If this is all you need then I'd save your beans and stick with Cubase LE.

If you find yourself wanting to dabble further then I'd highly recommend Reaper as others have here. It's by far the best DAW in terms of bang-for-buck$.

I personally use Reason - only because I've invested time and money in it over the years, and I'll be damned if I'm not going to squeeze every penny out of it! ;) That said I do use Reaper from time to time and can't fault it. 'Tis a fantastic software and don't be fooled by the cheap price - it's certainly not a 'beginners' option and competes quite well with the most expensive softwares.

Happy twiddling!

You can get reaper as a free trial version for as long as it takes you to decide whether you want to stick with it or not (this time has no limit form their perspective) and if you do want to finally do it, I'm told it's only £35 anyway!

Try them both - then it's all down to work flow and personal preference and what works best for you.
It's all 0's & 1's at the end of the day.
From your OP and what you require it for, save your dosh and go with what you got [for the moment]
But be rest assured and safe in the knowledge that at some point you will get DAW/Audio and midi interface/VST/VSTi's gas. :lol:

Garry

Thanks for the various advice, I think I'll have a play around with both to begin with, since there's no financial commitment if I just want to try Reaper. I've found Steinberg's page on what the limitations of LE actually are, and I suspect that being limited to 16 audio tracks is unlikely to be much of an issue for the things I have in mind. But I'll have a try of both and go with whichever seems more intuitive.

Can i throw a spanner in the works.
Studio One V2 do a free version, and going by your OP will be right up your Strasse.
And it really is the easiest DAW in the world to use.[ For someone starting from scratch]
Everything is drag and drop and totally [Audio & Midi gapless]
Plenty of tutorials on the Presonus site, and of course Youtube.
[url="http://studioone.presonus.com/free/"]http://studioone.presonus.com/free/[/url]

Garry

Yesterday evening I had a try of mixing the same track in Reaper and in Studio One Free to see how I got on with them. Reaper doesn't seem too forbiddingly complicated, but I'm getting some kind of weird aliasing thing going on with bass notes, which isn't there when I play the same files in Studio One. I presume I need to adjust my audio settings. Studio One seems pleasingly straightforward - the only worry is that I would have to be sure I liked the reverb and compression that come with it, since it doesn't use VSTs. I haven't actually installed Cubase LE yet, but I'll give that a try too.

Sorry to go off topic a tad, but does Reaper have midi sequencing?

So does it have the ability to program in notes and parts digitally?

As my past experience with Cubase, and the fact I know it does have midi sequencing is leading me towards splashing out for Cubase, as I know how to use and set it up which would make it a bit easier!

Thanks for the replies!

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1346876096' post='1794454']
Sorry to go off topic a tad, but does Reaper have midi sequencing?

So does it have the ability to program in notes and parts digitally?

As my past experience with Cubase, and the fact I know it does have midi sequencing is leading me towards splashing out for Cubase, as I know how to use and set it up which would make it a bit easier!

Thanks for the replies!
[/quote]

Yep it has full midi sequencing facilities

Edited by winterfire666