Why become a member? ×

how long before at one with the bass?

lowdowner

Had an interesting practice session this evening. Playing away to some tracks on our gig list and for a moment - just a minute or two here and there - I forgot the written music and looking at the frets, and just played. And it worked... and it feels (almost) as good as sex!

I suspect that this is what it 'feels like' for really experienced players pretty much all of the time.

So, for those of you for whom this isn't anything special, how long did it take you to become 'at one' with your instrument and just play the feel?

(as you might be able to tell, i've had a glass or two!) :biggrin:

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1346705722' post='1792280']
For the average joes among us , I think it's all to do with how well you really know what your playing
[/quote]

Maybe, but for a lot of tracks there is a pretty repeating chord sequence so if you're just jamming along and making up the bass line as you go it's a bit different. When this happened earlier, it was a I-V-VIm-IV sequence, with a V-Vim-IV chorus which is a simple thing to 'remember' - you can feel the chord change coming :)

Can those of us who only play along to records be included in the question?
I'm lucky enough to really feel at one with my bass when I know I've nailed a bassline - to the last damn note - and played it along with the record without making any mistakes. The feeling is massively enhanced when I play the same song(s) note-perfect on different basses, for instance my 5 and my upright 5 (not all songs are suitable to the latter).
The good feeling makes up for all the hours you spent torturing your fingers and boring your mind on scales and seventh chords etc., and also for those days when you might as well be playing bass while wearing boxing gloves :D

Edited by bluejay

Spent the first three years I was playing with a bass on me at my laptop between 6-8 hours a day(didn't have much of a social life as a teenager and never really saw the point of Xbox/PS2-ing haha!) either playing along to everything in my iTunes or just watching YT vids with it on my lap... after a while muscle memory kicks in and it's just another limb.
Kinda like how you don't notice you're breathing until someone reminds you that you are(well, almost...) Depends a lot on what you're playing. I still need to pay pretty close attention with unfamiliar material, but a lot of the time my ears and I can just about blag it!

We play jazz with keyboard, violin and bass. Occasionally our piano player will swing into something so ethereal, so hot, and so inventive, I just go with him -- right out the window. It does help to know what's under my fingers; when I do, the sky's the limit. Nothing like it!

tg

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1346703464' post='1792225']So, for those of you for whom this isn't anything special, how long did it take you to become 'at one' with your instrument and just play the feel?[/quote]

What you're talking about is muscle memory - when you've played something so many times it becomes almost automatic. That's not really a matter of musicianship, more a matter of diligence. Unless it's a particularly difficult piece for you, and you've had to concentrate on improving your technique to play it. In which case, well done!

Always remember though, the mark of a musician is to play what is required, not what you are capable of.

I only get this feeling when playing with other musicians, and then only occasionally. Everythings clicked and theres a musical empathy in the room. It doesn't matter what twist the song takes, you know you have all the notes you need under your fingers and your playing becomes lucid. A feeling to savour.

I've had something similar a few times when I've just been sitting there just jamming on my own (because I have no friends to be in a band =P). I'll be sitting there playing along to a tempo in my head and there will be a mix of my usual phrases with some random oddities thrown in -sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. Then without warning comes a completely new sequence almost as if it were a déjà-vu happening right in front of me and everything for some reason sounds 'right'. It doesn't happen often but feels really alien when it does!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1346715924' post='1792426']
What you're talking about is muscle memory - when you've played something so many times it becomes almost automatic. That's not really a matter of musicianship, more a matter of diligence.
[/quote]

No, I don't think I mean this - when you're improvising along to a chord sequence, I think it's about inventing quickly enough (and well enough) that you can easily keep up. Not specific bass lines, but improvisation

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1346756920' post='1792659']
Amateurs practice until they get it right.

Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.

[i]That's[/i] where the zone is.
[/quote]

Ah, I quite like this.

For me, it's muscle memory. I learn my stuff and let my body run with it. Of course, that's [i]being at one with the stuff you're playing[/i]; being [i]at one with the bass [/i]is probably a whole different question. Like, could I just pull something out of the air and do it without thinking?

The answer, for me, is probably no - I'd need a think, and I'd certainly need a look.

For the rest - as thisnameistaken has said above - it's diligence. Get it learnt, get it right... and then let go. Does make it easier to be active and moving about, or banging your head or whatever floats your boat, if you're not needing to watch everyone fretting finger land.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1346756920' post='1792659']
Amateurs practice until they get it right.

Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.

[i]That's[/i] where the zone is.
[/quote]

I'm not sure this is the case really, Bilbo.

It depends on the environment of course, there are always mistakes at what ever level one is playing at.

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1346740267' post='1792463']
No, I don't think I mean this - when you're improvising along to a chord sequence, I think it's about inventing quickly enough (and well enough) that you can easily keep up. Not specific bass lines, but improvisation
[/quote]

I can jam along to a chord sequence and improvise reasonably well (it's the sort of thing we often do when writing new songs) . . . . except that I feel my repertoire is too limited so I end up being a bit repetitive.

It's the sort of thing that prevents me playing any form of lead guitar, although I'm reasonably OK when just strumming chords.

I've probably not spent enough time on my scales and stuff. :blush:

I can't answer this - I've honestly forgotten how it feels to not be able to play with a reasonable degree of competence.

I expect , at my age ,the day will come in the future when I can't anymore. I expect , too , that the feeling of only being able to go downhill as a player will be far , far worse than the feeling that you're not good enough yet but will get there.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1346765376' post='1792843']
I can't answer this - I've honestly forgotten how it feels to not be able to play with a reasonable degree of competence.
[/quote]

Try playing it left/right handed, whichever isn't your dominant hand. It's like your first day all over again, pretty strange feeling.

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1346765904' post='1792855']
Try playing it left/right handed, whichever isn't your dominant hand. It's like your first day all over again, pretty strange feeling.
[/quote]

I'm sure it does but I can't think why I'd want to bother trying.