Why become a member? ×

Gibson G3 Reissue?!

Musicman20

My local music shop Promenade has ordered one in for me to look at as Gary there knows I'm a Grabber fan. I had a 70s G3 and loved the sound but didn't get on with the weight, hopefully these will compare with my old lighter Grabber 1. The first G3 pickups were designed by Bill Lawrence and the neck was bolt on - think these are set necks so it will be interesting to see how they sound.

I loved my 1976 G3 - very powerful and distinctive tone... but showing all the hallmarks of Gibson at the time, looking for a way to maker the Grabber for less. It felt like it was made out of balsa wood.

I'd be interested in one, if it was also through-body stringing and if that body had some more weight and substance to it. Price seems a lot better than other re-issues.

However, the 3-point bridge?!?

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1346698931' post='1792130']
My local music shop Promenade has ordered one in for me to look at as Gary there knows I'm a Grabber fan. I had a 70s G3 and loved the sound but didn't get on with the weight, hopefully these will compare with my old lighter Grabber 1. The first G3 pickups were designed by Bill Lawrence and the neck was bolt on - think these are set necks so it will be interesting to see how they sound.
[/quote]

Good call on the neck. Interesting on the weight - every time I speak to other owners, past and present, we all have a different story with the weight. Some models were light, some heavy, across all the Grabbers.

After having calmed down from the initial excitement I actually prefer the look of the originals,unless I'm making an image up myself. If the body shape is anything like the epiphone rippers then they are huge.......

I think these may well be one of those basses I love to hear and look at but don't get on playing................................................but I wouldn't say no to playing on one :)

Edited by S9_S12_Bass

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1346699151' post='1792134']
I loved my 1976 G3 - very powerful and distinctive tone... but showing all the hallmarks of Gibson at the time, looking for a way to maker the Grabber for less. It felt like it was made out of balsa wood.

I'd be interested in one, if it was also through-body stringing and if that body had some more weight and substance to it. Price seems a lot better than other re-issues.

However, the 3-point bridge?!?
[/quote]

I had use of a G3 in my teens (early 80s, so probably a late 70s example). It weighed a f**king ton! All maple: neck, f/b and body. Awesome sound, though. Thankfully I was the guitarist in the band and only hopped onto bass for a couple of numbers when the usual bassist took to keys.

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1346698931' post='1792130']
[/quote]

Ahh cool, Promenade is my local too, so let me know when it comes in...unless you buy it, of course! The sunburst one looks great.

The resurgence of popularity of these basses is truly amazing to me. I can remember when you quite literally couldn't give these basses away secondhand. I used to go in a local guitar shop in the late 80s' and chew the fat with the lads who worked there and every time they would offer me a cheaper and cheaper price on an old Gibson Grabber ( it might even have been one of these ; it was certainly this shape) they had that they couldn't sell in the full knowledge that I would never buy it , regardless . I think we may have even got down to talking two figures.
To my taste , these were always some of the ugliest and most ungainly looking basses ever made and represent some kind of high ( or low, depending on which way round you look at it) watermark in gauche 70s' styling. They are so ugly that I can see how some people could find them beautiful, if you see what I mean. They are the bass equivalent of a brown shagplie carpet or a green draylon sofa. The American low-fi neo-punk post -grunge bass players who have popularised these particular instruments actually chose these models because they were cheap due to them being unwanted and a good way to get a better quality bass ( it's still a Gibson when all is said and done- it's going to be much better than a Hondo)at an affordable price. To be fair, they do sound good for certain styles of music , particulaly when played hard with a pick, and I do remember Johnny Colt of the Black Crowes using one to record the Amorica album with. Alas , the inevitable happens and what was once shunned by all and sundry becomes desirable and ultimately reissued, it seems.It's exactly the same thing that happened with Fender Jaguars and Jazzmaster guitars post- Nirvana and the whole Seattle grunge thing.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising anyones taste . If these float you're boat then be my guest and buy one , play it and enjoy it , it's just that to me they have always symbolised something monumentally undesirable, and now they have achieved the seemingly impossible by coming back into fashion.

Edited by Dingus

I dunno, with this and the thunderbird non reverse on the way, I can't help but wish they actually did 'reissue' rather than do modern interpretations.

The SG reissue bass has always bugged me for the same reason, 3 knobs instead of 4 etc.

Rosewood Boards on the natural ripper II, and a chrome pickup on the grabber II, both without through body stringing.

I wish they ran VOS versions like the guitars, which are lovely things (if still a bit innacurate, apparently?) And I know their basses aren't as highly prized as the Les Pauls etc - which I think is a big shame.

They're meant to be doing an EB-2 soon too, they can't cock that up surely?!

[quote name='umcoo' timestamp='1346764366' post='1792816']

Ahh cool, Promenade is my local too, so let me know when it comes in...unless you buy it, of course! The sunburst one looks great.
[/quote]

Will do - I think it's the sunburst on order, if there are any QC problems Gary will sort it out with Gibson before its put on display.

• 2 weeks later...

I just played on one in Chicago Music Exchange,

Absolutely beautiful! Really big sound and so lively as well, at first I thought it must of been active but it was definatly passive.

The neck:

The neck was really really nice to play on I would say similar to a precision but a bit quicker, one thing I did notice was there is like a heel at the back of the headstock which was a bit weird but didn't get in the way. The neck also appears to be a glue on neck as there wasn't any bolts.

Body:

Nitro finish and seemed well built, there was both the black and the orangy burst basses there both looked cool but I played with the black one

Pickups:

As I said really loud! Has a 3 way toggle switch which I assume is, neck and mid, all 3 and mid and bridge. The only thing I noticed was the pole pieces on the g string weren't centred up with the string but did not seem to have any impact

Overall

A really nice bass with a distinctive sound, pretty lightweight as well I would say lighter than all my basses. If I had $1000 I would of had it but I didn't. I can't actually find anything about a UK release date or what shops have them, but it would appear they are out in the US!

Edited by S9_S12_Bass

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1346776496' post='1793090']
The resurgence of popularity of these basses is truly amazing to me. I can remember when you quite literally couldn't give these basses away secondhand ~ snip ~

and now they have achieved the seemingly impossible by coming back into fashion.
[/quote]

Dingus, I'm with you on this all the way.

It's funny how the passage of time changes perceptions but I'd guess that any demand for these instruments will not likely be coming from players who were around at the time they were originally released.

Same thing has happened with '70's Fenders - they were derided at the time as being shockingly bad quality, heavy, fat necks, unstable 3 bolt microtilt neck pocket etc. etc. and now they are revered as "vintage" Fenders and seem to command a big fat price.

What do I know?!!

Nicest Gibson of the era to me was the RD Artist. Still pretty ugly to my mind but a terrific sounding and playing bass,

Cheers

Ed

• 1 month later...

I played one of these at my local music shop. As I said earlier in this thread I have owned several Grabbers, a G3 and two Rippers, I won't part with my '74 Grabber which remains my favourite bass. I really wanted to like it.......Well I must say I was underwhelmed by the feel of the new reissue and it looks even uglier than the original in my eyes, a bit like comparing a 70s Marauder to a Les Paul Goldtop. It did sound good though with a lot of tonal variation and the build quality was decent with a classy sunburst finish and a satin smooth neck. I have got to say I didn't think it justified the price though, there are many cheaper basses out there that are built to a similar standard for a lot less ££££ - although having the brand name will mean it should hold its value. Gibson have had a fair share of ducks though - Gibson Corvus anybody? Obviously it all boils down to personal taste and budget.
If I were looking for a modern take on the Grabber concept or a back up for my old faithful I think I'd rather have one of the Epiphone reissues.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried one yesterday - very underwhelmed by the look and feel of this bass. Nowhere near the quality you'd expect from a Gibson. But it did have a snappy sound, and probably would appeal to people who don't care too much about Gibson's nicer finishes.

And baked maple fingerboards.... I don't like them either. They look terrible.

But it did sound ok. I suspect many bass players may like these, but anyone looking for something with the vibe of an original G3 will be disappointed