Why become a member? ×

Lightweight amps - clarity in power ratings

wateroftyne

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1346491506' post='1789790']
I think the TC 450's turned out to be 256 watts the 750's quite a bit more. Thats why I wondered about the modules as someone would of made that link earlier.
[/quote]

No - I think the 750 still came in at under 300w.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1346491551' post='1789792']
No - I think the 750 still came in at under 300w.
[/quote]
Yeah. Weirdly the long term output of both the 450 and 750 is 236w RMS, even though the voltage swing and burst output on the 750 is greater than the 450.

Edited by Musky

TC use some kind of limiting compressor in their output stage to give the impression of a much louder amp. It squashes the signal, reducing the dynamic range but then so does a driven valve amp. So I think their model numbers are misleading but they are trying to say "this is as loud as a 450w or 750w amp" in terms of percieved loudness as opposed to measured loudness.

The Class D thing has been around a long time but has never been practical due to the way switching power supply works. What B&O have done is develop a power supply mode that makes Class D technology useable i the real world. There is more info on the website I linked earlier, I was just trying to simplify the point as its not really the topic under discussion here, and my knowledge is vague. I was told by someone in the business that the majority of class D amps use the B&O ICE power technology, or have licensed it. They do do custom OEM models not shown on their website, but to all intents and purposes its the same stuff.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1346498153' post='1789888']
If your ears are telling you that an amp is loud enough then who cares what the spec sheet says.
[/quote]

This is true, but of course it's only useful if you can physically try before you buy.

It would also be nice to be able to guage how much of the 'loudness' is achieved via clever compression & signal processing.

Well I`ve had a fair few Class D amps, Ampeg PF-500, Orange Terror, TC Classic 450, GK MB500 & MB Fusion 500. All have been loud, with the Ampeg being the quietest, and the Orange being by far the loudest (thought the GKs not too far behind). I`ve gone back to the Ampeg however, as I prefer the tone from this amp, plus it has enough juice for me. Irrespective of actual/claimed wattage, those are the important things, however, agree, it`s not fair if you buy a supposed 500 watt amp, and find it`s not loud enough. An amp of 500 actual watts should never need to be used at anywhere near full power.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1346500870' post='1789946']
Really unless someone comes up with a standard test its all nonsense
[/quote]

None of these 'tests' performed by any of the mags or experts are official tests. They are merely their way of attempting to gauge the watts. Which leads me to ignore them now.

In the real world outside forums, the RH750 completely slays. So did the RH450.

There are plenty of traditional amps that have also 'struggled' to hit their wattage. Eg:

Mesa 400+ (ridiculously expensive, huge, and heavy)
Ampeg SVT Pro 3 (not my cup of tea at all, and needs to be maxxed out on the gain and master to keep up with amps in the same category that are barely ticking over).

Personally, I don't care about wattage. My Orange AD200b could smash down walls, but it depends what you want it for. I've given up on caring about the advantages and disadvantages of neo/ceramic class D/tube/SMPS, etc.

Play what you like, for the right reasons. If it sound great and has good quality aftercare (eg like Genz) then stick with it.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1346508664' post='1790051']

None of these 'tests' performed by any of the mags or experts are official tests. They are merely their way of attempting to gauge the watts. Which leads me to ignore them now.

In the real world outside forums, the RH750 completely slays. So did the RH450.

There are plenty of traditional amps that have also 'struggled' to hit their wattage. Eg:

Mesa 400+ (ridiculously expensive, huge, and heavy)
Ampeg SVT Pro 3 (not my cup of tea at all, and needs to be maxxed out on the gain and master to keep up with amps in the same category that are barely ticking over).

Personally, I don't care about wattage. My Orange AD200b could smash down walls, but it depends what you want it for. I've given up on caring about the advantages and disadvantages of neo/ceramic class D/tube/SMPS, etc.

Play what you like, for the right reasons. If it sound great and has good quality aftercare (eg like Genz) then stick with it.
[/quote]

All of this :)

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1346505185' post='1790006']
And you intend to use them under exactly those conditions.
[/quote]

Even if you don't, using a standardised power measurement method (and they do exist) would provide a basis for comparison. The unfortunate truth is that many manufacturers use peak or burst measurements but don't state the time period or distortion level.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1346488371' post='1789742']
I find it amusing in the Class D world that all the manufacturers have different claims as to the watts. They all use the same power section because Class D technology is patented and owned by B&O. If you open the amp up you will usually see the B&O ICE module in there separated from the rest. They are all pretty much the same.
[/quote]

first I've heard it, are you sure? anyway, its definitely not the case that all class d amps use the same output module, whether or not class d is patented.

the op's measured power figures are odd too. halving load impedance on a perfect amp will double the power; on a real world amplifier it will produce somewhat less than double the power.