Why become a member? ×

Cool Stagename = More Success?

zero9

It would be great to have been born with a 'cool' name already. If I had to choose, 'Pino Palladino' would be high on the list. Great name (and it rhymes, what could be more memorable than that?).

Pity I can't play like him :(

Edited by zero9

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1346263605' post='1787223']
It would be great to have been born with a 'cool' name already. If I had to choose, 'Pino Palladino' would be high on the list. Great name (and it rhymes, what could be more memorable than that?).

Pity I can't play like him :(
[/quote]
When I was a kid I desperately wished I had been named John.

My real name isn't funny or offensive in any way, it's actually really boring, but I hate it. I think I caught that from my Dad, he hates his name and no one has called him it in well over 40 years, his name is Peter. My parents had a friend whose baby had died just before I was born, so they named me after that baby. I think they were hoping I'd got he same way...

I've been "Norris" since 1985 - and look at the success it's brought me! :D

In a previous band we took the names of local villages. I can't remember what name I was given, but the guitarist was called [url="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Burton+Lazars&hl=en&sll=52.8382,-2.327815&sspn=9.602149,18.896484&oq=burton+la&t=h&hnear=Burton+Lazars,+Leicestershire,+United+Kingdom&z=15"]Burton Lazars[/url]

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1346326650' post='1787862']
I've been "Norris" since 1985 - and look at the success it's brought me! :D

In a previous band we took the names of local villages. I can't remember what name I was given, but the guitarist was called [url="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Burton+Lazars&hl=en&sll=52.8382,-2.327815&sspn=9.602149,18.896484&oq=burton+la&t=h&hnear=Burton+Lazars,+Leicestershire,+United+Kingdom&z=15"]Burton Lazars[/url]
[/quote]

Burton Lazars, not far from me. Suppose I could go under the name Peter Borough. Not madly keen on 'Peter' though :lol: .

• 3 months later...

The last gig we did we were asked to call out a request for a guy called Irwin , his crowd loved us but he wanted to move on , they reckoned he would stay (thus they could) if we 'involved ' him , so we duly played some queen for him , and yep they all stayed. Now, this guy came up and asked a request , and the warbler asked who he was , and he replied ..

Son of Irwin

We all fell apart and were totally sold that it would be a great band name ,
Is there a Band name thread? I searched and got this one, so posted my search skills may have let me down though

[i]Skol[/i] is a stage name from my first ever band, and it's followed me thru life since my teens (some people I've known for years still only know me as Skol... only wish I could say the same for HMRC ;)).

Nothing to do with cheap lager or 'cheers' in Swedish (which is actually 'Skål') . It's an abbreviation of 'skollob', there reverse of which I allegedly speak a lot of.

Our singer was called 'Radion' after the washing powder of the same name (he wrote off to them and got a t-shirt); drummer was 'BOSS' (an acronym for 'bag of sh1t', as he was exceptionally clumsy); our banjo player - yes we had a banjo player - was Lord Cthulhu (big guy, lots of tentacle-like dreadlocks); and our guitarist was 'The Milkman' (he wasn't actually a milkman, but he liked milk). We were young, listening to metal but also stuff like Half Man Half Biscuit and Mercury Rev. And we truly sucked as a band, but we built up quite a cult following in our local 'hood and ended up playing a few gigs we really shouldn't have gotten away with to far more people that we deserved.

Fun times. But yeah, the nickname stuck and will no doubt follow me to the grave. So choose wisely!

I was in a band 18yrs ago where they all had stage names (I reluctantly changed my surname for the duration I was in). It's fine if you can remember to call people by them - we invariably couldn't.

Fast forward to around 1997 and this pretentious young band showed up to support us. The singer was going around introducing himself as Zak in a pretentious American accent. Seemed to be going well until his very middle class mother walked in chiming in a very clipped voice "Clinton, you've forgotten your Luzocade!" Sadly for that young man I was in a band with the biggest bunch of mickey takers at the time and the poor guy had to keep a very low profile afterwards.