Why become a member? ×

When do you let a new cover die?

Blademan_98

We had a really good rehearsal last night.

I felt more comfortable going back to the original lines from the covers we do.
(I have posted previously about losing my way a bit)

However, there are certain songs we perform, that to me at least, are never going to be tight.

When do you call a halt to rehearsing and trying to get it right?

Great songs should be given a fair chance, but how many times can you play the same song badly?

What are your feelings? 10 times then drop it? 50 times?

Where do you draw the line!

Having that problem at the moment with a cover of "Kashmir". Not that theoreticaly we cant play it, it just struggles to sound "right". We had the same issue with "Barracuda" but we persevered and now it sounds great. I think there is a point you reach which is individual to each song, influenced by how much you like the song you're doing, where it stops being a challenge and becomes a chore.

It really depends on the song. The only covers we do are ones that we can rework to suit us & therefore is more like a remix of the original rather than a copy.

We try a song & if it doesn't fit after a couple of runs through, try a different approach. If it still doesn't, then we drop it. There's plenty of good songs to cover, so don't dwell on something just because you like the original.
I like Bjork, but I'm having trouble convincing a 50 odd year old Canadian blues singing bloke to sing Hyperballad. :sad:

I think you get a sense pretty quickly if the song is or isn't going to work. Our approach is to gig a song a couple of times because sometimes with the levels of energy at a gig a song that might have been a bit lame during rehearsal seems to work out. If it doesn't work out naturally after it has been gigged a couple of times we drop it and move on. After all, there are a lot of songs to pick from.

Edited by BottomE

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1346054596' post='1784419']
It really depends on the song. The only covers we do are ones that we can rework to suit us & therefore is more like a remix of the original rather than a copy.

We try a song & if it doesn't fit after a couple of runs through, try a different approach. If it still doesn't, then we drop it. There's plenty of good songs to cover, so don't dwell on something just because you like the original.
I like Bjork, but I'm having trouble convincing a 50 odd year old Canadian blues singing bloke to sing Hyperballad. :sad:
[/quote]

Do a metal version of the Bjork song .problem solved ,)

In the covers band I`m in, we play a song twice - if it doesn`t sound giggable at the end of the 2nd time, we know it will never work for us. Yes, we could probably do a lot of work on it, and get there, but if it doesn`t flow naturally, we don`t want such songs in the set.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1346060589' post='1784541']
In the covers band I`m in, we play a song twice - if it doesn`t sound giggable at the end of the 2nd time, we know it will never work for us. Yes, we could probably do a lot of work on it, and get there, but if it doesn`t flow naturally, we don`t want such songs in the set.
[/quote]
only a couple of times?
We wouldn't have a set at that rate!
:)

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1346060260' post='1784532']
Do a metal version of the Bjork song .problem solved ,)
[/quote]

OOh, and opportunity to watch thins again.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQzRFwVFIKU[/media]

Björk makes me feel funny when she screams! :gas:

[size=4][font=Arial]You have to be sensible enough to realise what your band and its members can play and what they can't. [/font]

[font=Arial]Few of my bands rehearse so a number gets the microscope treatment on the first gig. Adjustments can be made but you can always tell if a number is beyond the band’s capabilities on the first playing. I spent 4 gigs trying to get rid of “Let’s Get Serious” before the singer let it go. We never came close to playing it right. [/font]

[font=Arial]Even if it's one of your favourite numbers, if it's not right forget it. [/font][/size]

Edited by chris_b

We tried to a cover of the Stones' Gimme Shelter, but we couldnt get it to flow. It just went on and on and became a bit of a dirge, so we dropped it in the end.
Some songs sound good on the record but sh1t in a rehearsal room.

We know when a song isn't working and because rehearsal time at a premium we generally gig it in a few times...but it will be played ok by then, ..we wil like but can't carry off to our satisfaction.
There is a difference between playing it and 'getting' it and bands should be brutal and super-critical here otherwise they end up with a set littered with songs that they don't cut and that impacts on the professionalism of the band.

So no more than half dozen run thru's max either in rehearsal of gigs and then you know.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1346064259' post='1784637']

So no more than half dozen run thru's max either in rehearsal of gigs and then you know.
[/quote]

I think that's a fair comment.
Who decides?
I think I am going to be unpopular with the band but at least one of ours needs to be dropped.
I've recorded it a couple of times and there is no improvement.

Well, it is a band so all should have a view and say but we find one opinion is enough... Others may agree or not but the issue is now in the open and the best case wins. Others might not get what you say is wrong but unless they put up a good case then it should settle it. No one likes to hear the effort is crap so the final arbiter can be the audience. Does it work for them?
I don't think you should always bite your tongue just to keep the peace with regards to trying to make the band a better unit.
Must admit I get into a few scrapes tho..... Ha ha. But it is only because I care enough. I wouldn't do the whole band deal otherwise.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1346061765' post='1784573']
OOh, and opportunity to watch thins again.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQzRFwVFIKU[/media]

Björk makes me feel funny when she screams! :gas:
[/quote]

That's another song I'd love to do. I get a very similar bass sound to the original with my effects & it's a good workout for the left wrist.

Our drummer hates our version of Hot Stuff - I play the guitar part as if Ritchie Blackmore had written it :D but I must confess my playing has been a bit scrappy on the first few attempts, so that may partially explain it, but now I've tightened it up a bit the rest of the band quite like it. He also says our version of Breathless (Corrs, not Camel) sounds sh*t, whereas I just think it sounds like us playing a song we're not used to playing very much. Other songs we have agreed are giving us too much hassle to get right but we still like them and think they're worth doing so they're on the back burner while we put a couple of sets together that we can start gigging with.

We never gig anything unless we are confident enough that it is good enough to be played in public.

Normally within a couple of plays in the studio we know whether it is a goer or not, sometimes a song is done and dusted within a couple of takes, others take a couple of weeks. But if something just doesn't feel right we just let it go. We would rather concentrate the time and effort on workable songs rather than spend weeks or more getting something half decent!

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1346066270' post='1784682']
....Who decides?....
[/quote]

I'll usually be the first one to point out that a number isn't working.

It’s always surprises me how many of the band will instantly agree when I start the “[i]we're not playing this well” [/i]ball rolling.

Edited by chris_b