Why become a member? ×

scared of underplaying

christhammer666

have a recording session for the doom/industrial thing im doing at the mo coming up and have got off my ars to learn the songs.i pretty much have free reign to play what i want. my only worry is once i have wrote the bass lines apart from the odd fill hear or there its pretty much root basic stuff. i sometimes feel im not doing enough
does anyone else worry about underplaying?

I try to craft what the song needs, without the bass near me. I sling the song in the headphones and mentally sing along with it, what comes first is often the best representation of me, then I chip away at it until the raw material feels crafted. I usually rush it a bit and record too soon, resulting in me thinking of a few little finesses later, but I often incorporate them into live versions.

That's how I do it. The song is god, do what makes it feel f***ing good.

Not really any such thing.

I would recommend that the band record themselves on a cheap mp3 recorder and all listen back before you lay out any money on a studio recording.

That way there will be no argument afterwards that people weren't playing what was required. Well, less arguing anyway :)

'underplaying' is fine - think of the space between beats as the time where the 'real' magic of the music is actually happening ... but inside your head/heart (and the heads/hearts of the listener). The silence between notes is where the music of the cosmos is given space to breath.

[quote name='christhammer666' timestamp='1344369863' post='1763649']
a lot of the music is really riff heavy so sometimes theres not always the room for it but if i try and play anything out of the blues scale i sh*t myself and panic :gas:
anyway im not the much melodic bass player i playthe bass like a butcher chops meat lol
[/quote]

Butchery is a very fine, highly skilled craft.

I think in heavier music like that there isn't a lot of space to get widdly and simple root playing will often be what the song needs. Stripping things even further back with lots of space and emphasis on certain beats to push the groove can work well, and also give you space to usr a bigger, fatter tone. I like to go for impact more than anything with that kind of style.

Where are the important notes/pulses in the riffs? Pound on them and let the guitars wind their way around the beats you and the drummer are pushing, when you do come in for some big unison riffing, it'll sound that much bigger for you having left the space beforehand. It makes it about the power and the impact of the whole band rather than how much each player can squeeze in.

Funnily enough that`s the same sort of thing for me at the moment. I`m recording 16 songs tomorrow, and none of them are in my comfort zone. So I`ve put what I think is right for each song together, if it`s not, well I can improvise on the day. The way I see it, the person whose material it is picked me to play, knowing my style, so is unlikely to expect me to be running all over the fret-board.

So as the others have said, be you, and also allow space in the songs. cant remember who it was, but someone said that the extra member in a band was space.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1344369062' post='1763624']
I try to craft what the song needs, without the bass near me. I sling the song in the headphones and mentally sing along with it, what comes first is often the best representation of me, then I chip away at it until the raw material feels crafted. I usually rush it a bit and record too soon, resulting in me thinking of a few little finesses later, but I often incorporate them into live versions.

That's how I do it. The song is god, do what makes it feel f***ing good.
[/quote]

+1 to this.

We are going to be getting into the studio to record 3 original tracks soon.

One is a very "dark" song, and this one is best suited to root notes and I ONLY play root notes
The next is a twelve bar blues, so the usual blues embellishments I play
The final one if the tricky one, its a lively track which has some nice twiddly guitar solos..... I am really struggling to get a bass line to do it justice. In fact, my mission this weekend is to lock myself away (after Brecon) until I have nailed a bassline.

So I think it very much depends on the song as to what is best. If you think root notes sound best, don't fear the simplicity ;)

In a previous band, there was one song where I played one note per bar which was either open E or a harmonic on the same string. Towards the end of the song where it got a bit more intense, I played 2 and then 3 notes per bar still all E or harmonics on the E string.

This was exactly the right thing for the song.

in 'Doom' or whatever slow heavy metal styles, there isnt a requirement for overplaying, or widdling. You do that and you take it out of Doom Metal and into Heavy Metal (e.g. Maiden). You can play what you feel for the song, but that will likely change the style. I realise this might be obvious, but it never ceases to amaze me when muso-types criticise the lack of 'musicianship' in bands that play minimally... that's their style, that's what they do, not all music has to sound like lounge-jazz-fret-widdling to have sonic validity.

Besides, seems to me you need to ask the band what kinda thing they want. Some 'Doom'ers wouldnt want any fills. Some leaning towards Metal might appreciate an occasional crazed bass noodle.

I could talk about this stuff forever as it's all about feel and dynamics, and people tend to think that Doom Metal is just some neanderthal music (true ;) ) which requires no thought at all (very untrue! <_< )

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1344415350' post='1763992']
Heres the thing - in the studio little things can sound fantastic. The stuff that you do live than nobody ever notices will be heard! Its easy to overplay and a lot harder to just sit in the pocket and nail a groove.

Have fun - good luck
[/quote]

This is why it is important to record your tracks and listen and make sure everything is ok before you go into the studio.

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1344370201' post='1763656']
'underplaying' is fine - think of the space between beats as the time where the 'real' magic of the music is actually happening ... but inside your head/heart (and the heads/hearts of the listener). The silence between notes is where the music of the cosmos is given space to breath.
[/quote]

Now I know what to say to the guys if the band decide to do rush yyz in rehearsal !

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1344415350' post='1763992']
...Its easy to overplay and a lot harder to just sit in the pocket and nail a groove.[/quote]

This is a good point. Guitars should be at least double tracked and there will probably be several layers of rhythm guitar. so there isn't as much space to fill as there sometimes is when playing live. I wouldn't worry about branding what you might do as 'over' or 'under' playing either. Just do what feels right to you as a musician, rather than just a bassist.