Why become a member? ×

Never been gigged = less damage?

Dave Vader

On the back of gareth's other topic, it occurred to me that most of us see "never been gigged" in a listing and assume that means it's less likely to be damaged.
As a counter argument, i put it to you that most of the damage done to my instruments has been done at home, and my regular giggers tend to live in cases, and thus be in better nick than the ones that litter the floors of my studio and home.
The scratches down the back of my SG came from shoving it into a gap behind my acoustic (doh, stap button), most of the dings on my instruments comes from standing up from my chair and knocking them against the table.
The bent tuner on my rickenbastard is from whacking the headstock against a shelf in the studio by mistake.
The bent pot on my fretless is from it dropping into the table leg as I reached across for a mandolin...

I could go on.
Conversely I have somewhere, in a case, a telecaster that has been to hundreds of gigs, been played at a lot of them, and looks like it did the day i bought it, because it lives in a case.

Discuss....
:)

Depends, hopefully my backup basses will never be gigged, as that means I`ve had no issues with my main basses. And as I`m a bit OCD about things, that means they are vey unlikely to sustain any kind od damage at all.

The only dent on my tele happened in the studio when I whacked it off the desk....

The neck on my SG broke when it fell of it's stand in my bedroom.....

My very first guitar has a massive scratch on its back because my screwdriver slipped when I was taking the back plate off on the day I got it....

OP = true

And what does "gigged" actually mean? Played at a gig or just taken to one?

Because the bass that has received the most knocks and dings while in my possession was the one I used as my spare bass during the 90s. It went to getting on for 100 gigs but was only ever played during the set at 2 of them. It spent nearly all its time in a heavy duty flight case and was only taken out to be tuned up and placed on a stand at the back of the stage and then after to gig was over it went back in the case until the next time. It still managed to pick up more knocks and other marks to the finish than the bass I actually played on stage at all those gigs.

[quote name='JimBobTTD' timestamp='1343992850' post='1758297']
Does "never been gigged" mean "doesn't stink of smoke from the pub"? And when the smoking ban was introduced, the saying continued?
[/quote]

That's my take on it. Although having said that I recently bought a cab that had never been gigged but kept in a bedroom with a dog or cat. Took a bit of hoovering to get rid of the hair.

Is giging somehow different to transporting to a rehearsal studio on a weekly bassis?

Never been gigged just means mint. My bass has picked up all sorts of little scratches and dings on gigs, quite a few more than if it had sat in my bedroom every Friday and Saturday night.

It's a bit like used cars being sold by "one careful owner". So what? That could mean it was only ever driven 2 miles a day at 28 mph until someone else drove into it. :lol:

Do such descriptions really matter though? Would anyone really buy a bass without seeing and handling it?

[quote name='EskimoBassist' timestamp='1343993199' post='1758305']
I just couldn't imagine buying a bass and then not playing it live.
[/quote]

The basses I've never gigged have never made it beyond a rehearsal or two. Of course I have no idea/can't remember what the owner before me did with them.

In the end it's meaningless. I bought one bass that looked as though it had been transported to gigs by towing behind the van on a rope. As soon as I knew I was going to keep it, it went back to the manufacturer for a full refurbish and refinish. Another bass I bought was a pre-production evaluation prototype - it absolutely stunk of cigarettes.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1343992599' post='1758289']IMO "never gigged" = not as good as the bass(es) I am gigging.[/quote]
[quote name='razze06' timestamp='1343994005' post='1758322']Never been gigged = untested in gigging situation = inadequate quality/reliability/tone/whatever?[/quote]
Don't agree. My regular gigging bass was a BB3000 because it was lighter than, and has a more compact body than, the BB1200 and BB2000 basses I'd use for studio work. Didn't mean that the quality or sound of the 1200 and 2000 basses were less than the 3000, simply that the 3000 was the most suitable gigging tool.

I've always taken never been gigged to mean not subject to the rigours of the road - smoky environments, extremes of moisture, shock and vibration from transportation, etc, etc.

Edited by noelk27

I prefer a bass that looks like it's been played (not reliced - most I've had have had poly finish) one of the down side of basschat is that folk look after their gear so well. I've bought a few basses on here then sold them as they have been too new feeling- I've been scared to play them. The old stuff I've picked up in junk shops I've been less precious about - or Rasta once traded me a wicked fretless, beaten and modified to hell- but man did it sound good.
My warwick was just worn enough that the first person to reply on gumtree didn't want it so thats fun to play- not precious at all.
The JV was just a nice bass when I bought it, but TBH as the supposed value of them has crept up it's been played a bit less, which is a shame.

Both gigged though :D and taken care of too

Is there something wrong with looking after your gear and being a bit precious about it?? I look after all my gear - I don't want it being a victim of some drunkard w***er climbing on stage and falling all over it or spilling beer on it.

To me "never been gigged" says "looked after", "cared for" or "treated with some respect" - yes, they may be tools of our trade but that doesn't mean they should be subject to "accidents". If they get damaged in your home/studio then you need to be a bit more careful...

All depends on the type of gigs. The seated gigs I've done are far less dangerous for an instrument than a bunch of clapped out, wannabe-punk hacks jumping around a small stage at the Dog and Bollock with the bass amp resting on a bar stool and a beer crate for a footrest. That said, I wouldn't own a bass I wouldn't gig but some have passed through my hands at times when I haven't been gigging so have never left the house save for the recording studio!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1343992599' post='1758289']
IMO "never gigged" = not as good as the bass(es) I am gigging.
[/quote]

Deffo this. I played my little used spare for the first time in ages t'other night, there nothing wrong with it but couldn't wait to pick up my Stingray afters. Its just so much nicer to play!