Why become a member? ×

BOTH PRECISIONS WITHDRAWN

Beedster

Its a bit of a catch 22 really at the moment,

More Members, More Gear to GAS over and a better chance of cutting a sweet deal! But with more members you'll always get more timewasters too

Each new Member should take an IQ test and be vetted accordingly ^_^

[quote name='ste_m3' post='190142' date='May 1 2008, 11:29 PM']Its a bit of a catch 22 really at the moment,

More Members, More Gear to GAS over and a better chance of cutting a sweet deal! But with more members you'll always get more timewasters too

Each new Member should take an IQ test and be vetted accordingly ^_^[/quote]

TBH I'm tinking we should name and shame in the feedback section :)

I dont know if i can agree with naming and shaming personally.

Im sure it would work - but you just know youd get one occasion where your all fired up and pissed off and suchlike and you find out a person pulled out because of a parents funeral costs or something similarly upsetting!

Who wants a battered bass anyway? :)

[quote name='ste_m3' post='190165' date='May 1 2008, 11:45 PM']I dont know if i can agree with naming and shaming personally.

Im sure it would work - but you just know youd get one occasion where your all fired up and pissed off and suchlike and you find out a person pulled out because of a parents funeral costs or something similarly upsetting!

Who wants a battered bass anyway? :)[/quote]

Agreed, but there are certain people..........

[quote name='Beedster' post='190167' date='May 1 2008, 11:47 PM']Agreed, but there are certain people..........[/quote]

...That I've come to ignore! :)

I do hope you manage to get good prices on the bay though, And i hope your faith in BC isnt completly crushed! I for one would miss that grin!

Edited by ste_m3

thats a shame beedster. im sorry you've been mucked about.

it may be helpfull if one of the mods wrote a wee guide to the expected etiquette for the for-sale sections. At the moment it is just "when you have sold it say so".

I know the feeling dude. I have been in the same place before, I bought train tickets and everything to go trade something with a guy. He pulled out the night before.

And another time, I had a guy who was coming to buy a bass off of me, i took the day off work and he phoned me half an hour before he was meant to arrive and said his son wanted something else.

Unfortunatly, When i sell something i am allways in the mindset "It's only sold when the money is IN YOUR HAND" or else i take whatever anyone else says with a pinch of salt.

[quote name='Machines' post='188833' date='Apr 30 2008, 02:19 PM']You would imagine or you would know ?[/quote]

MB1. :)
Driven there and back from Manchester previously, no idea where the £90 figure comes from?

Edited by MB1

A fair few sellers have been messing people around too from what I hear. The buyer of my Status told me that several sellers changed their minds on him too.

I think it's a symptom of the internet - too easy to be impulsive and then regret later on.

I, on the other hand, am a ruthless b'stard when it comes to clearing out my surplus gear.

[quote name='Doc B' post='190309' date='May 2 2008, 09:43 AM']A fair few sellers have been messing people around too from what I hear. The buyer of my Status told me that several sellers changed their minds on him too.[/quote]

Yep that was me...

Had the opposite of Beedster... 3 times I had cash willing to pay people for items they had for sale then suddenly they change their mind and keep it, only to find the next day its back up for sale... just weird but hey, I like this forum for buying and selling it can be frustrating sometimes but I rather have it than not and we all love a bargain. I like to think I am a good egg and will always pay on the day I buy or ship within the week I sell.

Smash

Well I just got messed about on a sale on my VBA that was supposed to concerete as well...

*sigh*

I'm starting to think that it is fair to leave feedback on people who mess you around, I mean this dude said he was definately going to buy my amp... we exchanged multiple, maybe 5+ phone calls and 10+ txts, it's just *very* lucky that I didn't buy anything on the assumption that I was going to get the money from him.......

It's a shame I had to involve my brother, who has taken the amp upto Newcastle under the impression this guy was going to pick it up from there.....

I'm pretty gutted really, waste of my time, money and stress.

Hi Chris Sorry to read about the sh-t you are getting,I am a great believer in if you say yes you mean yes,i have sold a few basses on this site and have had wasters pm me , But the people who have bought have all been very positive,i did not know you were selling the fretless when i came to see you, or it certainly would now be in Grantham at 225 a steal,if you have not sold it and you get antwhere near, give me a call, don't forget to put the bass in the car.cheers to a super guy Best Wishes Rich

[quote name='minty fresh death' post='190129' date='May 1 2008, 11:12 PM']EDIT: I must say i've some seriously insulting low-ball offers on here though.... completely taking the piss.[/quote]

+1 deffo

someone offered me £500 for my Stingray when I was asking £700 and they implied that they were doing me a favour by offering this much...no need to ask why my response was.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='190372' date='May 2 2008, 11:19 AM']^^^^ wtf! who?[/quote]

Well I don’t feel bad to name and shame cos it was someone who only joined up to PM me to give me that offer and since has not posted anything.

User name – classic

He raised it to £550 but I didn’t know if he was having a laugh or was trying to be serious.
People that f*** you around should be named and shamed if only to deter other users from doing the same.

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='190368' date='May 2 2008, 11:15 AM']+1 deffo

someone offered me £500 for my Stingray when I was asking £700 and they implied that they were doing me a favour by offering this much...no need to ask why my response was.[/quote]

pm me his name please ben, when I had my trans red sr4 up here I got exactly the same sh*tty type of offer and I would like to know if it's the same guy.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='190362' date='May 2 2008, 11:04 AM']name and shame that kind of incident i think...[/quote]

It's even worse that the reason he is going back on the deal is that he found a cheaper one...

I'm of two minds on this name and shame business, but is it fair that he found and bought a VBA for less than we had agreed without getting in contact with me?

I mean at the end of the day, he might have gotten a bargain and more power to him for nabbing it... but the bit that is really getting to me... is he could have asked me first to see if i'd at least bring my price down to somewhere near. But of course this is the internet, he might just be some little kid who doesnt even own a bass *shrug*

This forum has become rather large and IMO has lost the original feel. It used to be the majority of posts where about basses and gear etc... now it seems more about selling stuff. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't really visit here as much as I used to. Maybe we should pack in all the sales and get the forum back to what it's called...Bass Chat. :)

I wasnt involved in this set of recent compalints but here's my opinion anyway...

I inquired about a bass and didnt have the money. Made a tentative request to look at the bass a few months later when I did have the money. This was tentively accepted. No problem. So a couple of months later said bass was re-advertised at £100 more. Did I publicly complain? No.

I was the first person to answer and PM a bass and wanted to see/play it. I got an answer busy till next week and it was obvious that there were other offers and I was on the back burner. Then I got another 'next week' so I said ok and left it. Buyer didnt contact me so ok. Did I publicly complain? No.

Stingrays are not selling at the moment. Get over it. I sold a Sterling in admittedly poor cond. for £500ish in 2007 cos I needed the money. Buyer was pleasant etc but sold it a week later. Did I complain? No. Did I complain when someone bought and sold my Warwick? No. If you are selling something it is only worth what people will pay for it. Sell it, keep it but do it quietly.

Arrogant offers are something else. Just dont sell that person anything ever.

Rant over.

[quote name='minty fresh death' post='190379' date='May 2 2008, 11:29 AM']pm me his name please ben, when I had my trans red sr4 up here I got exactly the same sh*tty type of offer and I would like to know if it's the same guy.

It's even worse that the reason he is going back on the deal is that he found a cheaper one...

I'm of two minds on this name and shame business, but is it fair that he found and bought a VBA for less than we had agreed without getting in contact with me?

I mean at the end of the day, he might have gotten a bargain and more power to him for nabbing it... but the bit that is really getting to me... is he could have asked me first to see if i'd at least bring my price down to somewhere near. But of course this is the internet, he might just be some little kid who doesnt even own a bass *shrug*[/quote]

but if the same person has already made you an offer on something that you'd knocked back (i'm speculating that you had an offer on two items from the same person), i suspect that they probably didn't want to contact you again with a cheaper offer, because you would have thought they were taking the p*ss and would have said no. I don't know whether an agreement to buy constitutes a contract of sale in some form [b]before[/b] any money/equipment is exchanged (I suspect not) - maybe it's time to have terms and conditions put in place by the admin for selling and buying?

Life's too short - it's a pain in the arse that these things happen and suggesting the above dampens the community spirit - as does reneging on a deal, but what can you do?

oh and guys that have been messed about (Chris et al.) I'm not all misery, I'm sorry you've been mucked about, but these things happen. Happened to me last week but it wasn't the end of the world really.

Edited by john_the_bass

[quote name='CS2' post='190393' date='May 2 2008, 11:44 AM']If you are selling something it is only worth what people will pay for it. Sell it, keep it but do it quietly.

Rant over.[/quote]

what he said

[quote name='CS2' post='190393' date='May 2 2008, 11:44 AM']I wasnt involved in this set of recent compalints but here's my opinion anyway...

I inquired about a bass and didnt have the money. Made a tentative request to look at the bass a few months later when I did have the money. This was tentively accepted. No problem. So a couple of months later said bass was re-advertised at £100 more. Did I publicly complain? No.

I was the first person to answer and PM a bass and wanted to see/play it. I got an answer busy till next week and it was obvious that there were other offers and I was on the back burner. Then I got another 'next week' so I said ok and left it. Buyer didnt contact me so ok. Did I publicly complain? No.

Stingrays are not selling at the moment. Get over it. I sold a Sterling in admittedly poor cond. for £500ish in 2007 cos I needed the money. Buyer was pleasant etc but sold it a week later. Did I complain? No. Did I complain when someone bought and sold my Warwick? No. If you are selling something it is only worth what people will pay for it. Sell it, keep it but do it quietly.

Rant over.[/quote]

I don't know where you pulled all this attitude from, I also sold the 'ray for what I was asking, 650.

[quote name='CS2' post='190393' date='May 2 2008, 11:44 AM']Stingrays are not selling at the moment. Get over it.[/quote]

I'm more than happy to keep it as a 2nd back up bass because i wasnt going to sell a mint Stingray for an insane £550. I was just echoing the point that people do PM insulting offers, but in all fairness "you don't get if you don't ask". I was pissed off at the offer and I wasn't sure if the guy was being serious. To tell me to "get over it" is a bit insulting as well as I don't really see that there's anything to get over? If i sell it for a reasonable amount of cash then it's all good and if I don't sell it then I've got a fantastic mint condish 4 string Stingray...where's the issue?