Why become a member? ×

BOTH PRECISIONS WITHDRAWN

Beedster

Folks

There is a very bad man who uses this site. On Friday morning he quite cynically sent me an email and in that email was a photo of a bass guitar. He knew exactly what he was doing and it worked :) (all will be revealed)

So, as I have 5 Precisions at present, and feel it has got a bit stupid here Precision-wise, these two have to go to pay for (part of) the mystery bass in question.

First up is a mongrel 70's Precision. It is as follows

1974 3tone sunburst body & original pickguard, nicely worn and about to loose some finish where the forarm rubs, This body is going to look incredible in a couple of years.
1978 maple B neck & original tuners. There are no better necks than 1970's B widths (apart that is from 1970s C necks which are rarer than Jazz Basses at Beedster Towers)
Wizard Thumper PUP/generic pots/wiring/jack socket
LaBella Deep Talkin Flatwounds (very very Motown at present)
Original strap buttons
Fender neck plate/screws

Pickguard has been in the wars a bit and is cracked at the jack socket (as they are on most of my Precisions)

[attachment=8192:74_79_Precision_1.JPG]

This is a great 70's Precision that I'm selling AT LESS THAN IT COST ME TO BUILD.

[u]£700 collected from Milton Keynes. No case so no postage I'm afraid[/u]

Second up, and with many apologies to Marcus to whom I sold this bass, who paid me for it, and who never got it due to a few technical problems my end (he did however get a refund) is my ratrher nice - and unbelievably light - fretless P/J. Details below:

Composite black Precision body (make unknown). A few dinks and knocks.
VERY SEXY B-width fretless rosewood neck (make unknown) and tuners (maker unknown)
New BADASS II chrome bridge with bright tone saddles
Seymour Duncan Basslines SPB3 and SJB1 PUPS.
Stacked vol/tone for each PUP (very sexy :huh: )
Tort pickguard
Schaller straplocks

[attachment=8193:Fretless_P_J_1.JPG]

This is a surprisingly full-bodied bass given its extremely light weight. Very powerful PUPs, loads of sustain and sackloads of mwah make it a great instrument for fretless newbies. You're welcome to A-B it against either my '78 or my '79 Precision fretlesses and you'll see that this bass doesn't lose a whole lot tone-wise against either.

Cost me almost £320 to build from mostly used parts (with the exception iof the bridge and SPB3 both of which are new).

[u]£225 collected from Milton Keynes (no case so no postage)[/u]

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='BassManKev' post='186585' date='Apr 27 2008, 04:31 PM']that fretless looks great![/quote]

It's surprisingly good actually. Taken me a long time to get it there :)
PMs replied to. Waiting for the sender of the first to reply.
Chris

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='186649' date='Apr 27 2008, 06:25 PM']What is the thing between the nut and the first machine head?[/quote]

Well spotted, it's the original nut which is sellotaped to the headstock so that I don't confuse it with another bass! A different nut was installed when I bought the neck but the seller supplied the original as well.

Fretless is on hold pending some minore transportation details (but could be back on again in which case there's a coyuple of guys in the queue).

On reflection, and on the basis that it is not an original bass and that I bought all the parts from various places, I will part the fretted, and might simply do so on the bay if it doesn't sell here. This would be a shame as it is a lovely bass :)

Chris

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='johnnylager' post='187835' date='Apr 29 2008, 10:01 AM']That fretted is jolly nice. Too nice for me though. So is the fretless. Your others must be just chipper, old boy![/quote]

[u]Fretless on hold[/u][b][/b]

Yes the fretted is a pretty good Precision. However, rather than ebay it as one bass, I think I'm going to split it, which is a bit of a shame but then it is a mongrel anyway. The neck & tuners cost me £330, the body - if I remember correctly (Lawrie, please feel free to correct me) - around £300, and with the PUPs, bridge, covers, strings etc I realised I'd thrown about £850 at this project.

I'll take offers on any of the bits before I ebay them...?

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='TheBrokenDoor' post='188824' date='Apr 30 2008, 02:13 PM']I am crying as I type (on the inside) as I can't afford the £90 it'd cost me from Manchester to Milton Keynes and back to get that fretless.

Crying. :)[/quote]

[quote name='BassManKev' post='188830' date='Apr 30 2008, 02:16 PM']what on earth makes u think itd cost that much??

saver return about 50 i would imagine[/quote]

[quote name='Machines' post='188833' date='Apr 30 2008, 02:19 PM']You would imagine or you would know ?[/quote]
I just checked (coz I'm sad like that) and an advance single would cost you £13... so £26 both ways if you just book it in advance

I'm travelling to London next week, and I'd stop off at Milton Keynes on the way. The only way to do it would be a single to Milton keynes (£30), a single to london (£15) and then a single from London to Manchester (£12) plus travel once in london to my destination, plus an adequate case if I'm on public transport.

So yes, you're right, it's not the £90 (£25 for each single is what i'd got from thetrainline a couple of days ago) I first predicted but it's more money than I was wanting to spend on travel and it's a lot of time out of my way that I didn't want to spend.

I'm actually a bit devastated I didn't get it. It's exactly what I wanted, but it's not an urgent purchase and I'm going to hold out for a situation where all that extra money can go on the instrument as opposed to travel.

Dan

[quote name='Machines' post='188833' date='Apr 30 2008, 02:19 PM']You would imagine or you would know ?[/quote] :huh:
it costs me £55 to get from widnes to london, which is a greater difference, so i would no really ;)

well actually it costs me £3x, bein a student n all :)

Edited by BassManKev

I GIVE UP....

People, if you PM me and say "I'll definitely have it", please don't then say "oh, did I say definitely, I meant only if I sell my MIM Jazz for £900 on ebay" or "only if you'll take a cheque made out on a Nigerian account".

For f**ks sake..

Anyway, with apologies to the few people who've PM'd me today with various "I can get the cash to you by carrier pigeon a pound at a time over the next 14 years" type offers, I'm now fed up good and proper so I'm going to ebay any bass items I have for sale now, purely because I've never been messed around by an ebay buyer but I'm getting messed around all the time here.

I don't know what happened to this forum but in the old days if you said you were going to buy it you generally did :)

Chris

I'm genuinely sorry Chris, I know I could've been more prompt about things and for that I'm really sorry.

I hope you get twice the price you asked for on here, just for the waiting I put you through.

Again, I'm sorry.

Dan

[quote name='TheBrokenDoor' post='189885' date='May 1 2008, 06:19 PM']I'm genuinely sorry Chris, I know I could've been more prompt about things and for that I'm really sorry.

I hope you get twice the price you asked for on here, just for the waiting I put you through.

Again, I'm sorry.

Dan[/quote]

Dan, now worries, you didn't actually say you'd buy it for certain so I wasn't directing it at you.
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='189879' date='May 1 2008, 06:11 PM']Anyway, with apologies to the few people who've PM'd me today with various "I can get the cash to you by carrier pigeon a pound at a time over the next 14 years" type offers, I'm now fed up good and proper so I'm going to ebay any bass items I have for sale now, purely because I've never been messed around by an ebay buyer but I'm getting messed around all the time here.[/quote]

I've only been a member for about 5 weeks but I can definitely relate to this. It is a massive hassle and like bassmankev I've been on both sides of it and it's a massive pain in the arse. It's an issue with buying and selling through a forum, I doubt there's a way to regulate it. I guess it's a hassle that you have to put up with when selling stuff fee free.

[quote name='Beedster' post='189879' date='May 1 2008, 06:11 PM']I GIVE UP....

People, if you PM me and say "I'll definitely have it", please don't then say "oh, did I say definitely, I meant only if I sell my MIM Jazz for £900 on ebay" or "only if you'll take a cheque made out on a Nigerian account".

For f**ks sake..[/quote]

La la la.... I'm not listening...!

:)

It's a great 74 body... And I'm glad you like it.

But I have to say that I can understand how frustrated you are with the buying and selling. I'm owed about £1300 so I can see what you're dealing with!

Edited by Jebo1

I've honestly not had that much bother, i've bought and sold quite a fair amount of stuff on here.

You get time wasters everywhere :)

EDIT: I must say i've some seriously insulting low-ball offers on here though.... completely taking the piss.

Edited by minty fresh death