Why become a member? ×

BOTH PRECISIONS WITHDRAWN

Beedster

you read guilvers travels? I haven't in years but I vaugely remeber there being a race of folk there who meed and dont say anthing for a while and in the silence think about what they want to say and what is important.

I don't think it's worth the hassle. I would probably only buy/sell from a member I felt I knew very well, had shown they weren't after a quick buck, and generally that they had integrity.

Money makes people ugly and stressed.

[quote name='classic' post='190994' date='May 3 2008, 12:48 AM']Tensions not high, I am actually finding it amusing that 1 person posts a comment that I allegedly made, and everyone has jumped on the bandwagon.[/quote]

Not everyone sunshine.

Folks

Kinda wish I hadn't started this. I was in a very bad mood Thursday having had several people who said they were going to buy stuff not do so, hence my rather rash post. Bottom line is that this is generally a good place with generally good people. I'd rather sell a bass here than ebay because everyone I've met through this forum - those that spring to mind are Silverfox, richardd, Garbev, PaulC, BT68, Burpster, David Nimrod, Will, Legion, Pete Young (there are many more but memory after a big Friday night is not good, apologies to those I've not listed) - has been a crackingly good bloke. I've also done deals online without meeting with guys like Muppet, Dr Dave (who I would have voted for had he stood in the recent elections), DocB, and Marcus, and likewise, they're down the line straight up blokes (and in Marcus's case, bloody patient and understanding also). As some of you know, I've had two VERY bad experiences with ebay...

As was pointed out to me in a PM this morning, we all have our off days and we probably all send the odd PM or post a thread every now and again that we regret, or misconstrue, or whatever. All of the above is probably a case of this and probably doesn't warrant further discussion.

Can we ignore my original post and get back to talking about basses?

[list]
[*]Rich, I'd love you to have the fretless. If you want it, give me a shout. It's yours for £200.
[*]Anyone who wants the fretted can have it for [u]£600 collected [/u](PUP and bridge covers NOT included). This is the bargain of the century for what is a vintage Precision and a bloody good player. I'm making a £250 loss on it. There is a condition - if you sell it, I want your word that it will be at the same price and [u]on this forum[/u], not at £800 on ebay. Also, if you do sell if on these terms, I'd expect you to hold the buyer to the same. Those are my terms and I will have anyone who breaks them taken out with extreme prejudice by a hired assassin :)
[/list]

I'm away until Thursday so may not be able to reply until then
Chris

Edited by Beedster

Interesting thread, some good points made about buying and selling. Lots of evidence of human traits re slight exaggerations and assumptions.

But we are all human (well I am) and to be human is to err. It don't make you the Devil incarnate!

No way should we lock threads just because they become contentious imo. It prevents all this relatively minor stuff, usually centered around misunderstanding, from being sorted.

Handbags at dawn? Why not :)

Peter

[quote name='minty fresh death' post='190709' date='May 2 2008, 05:01 PM']I'm glad this thread came about, it was well overdue.

Almost worth a sticky, so people can learn etiquette.[/quote]

+1 for that

FWIW I really like the buy/sell/trade of gear on BC - it's good to know that something you had has gone to a 'good home' and I like the idea of stuff doing the rounds on here.

I had my first experience of getting a 'your asking price is too high, I'll take it off you for a fraction of that and give you good feedback as a favour to a new seller' email on eBay last week. I just didn't reply, the best response was to wait for the item to go for what I wanted and still get the price I wanted.

I also think that this thread warrants being moved to a more prominent place!

Ok guys….

I’ve been away all weekend without an internet connection and I’ve not seen this thread snowballing.

I do admit I have misrepresented the situation but this has been 100% non intentional as I wouldn’t just go around badmouthing for the sake of it…I’m not out to make enemies. I hadn’t checked through the PMs that were exchanged back in early April and I should have definitely checked them before posting anything but instead assumed I had remembered the situation exactly how it was.

The £500 figure was stuck in my head as being his first offer because this is what he quoted as the ebay prices so this is the first thing I remembered from the PMs off the top of my head. A £550 offer up to £580 final offer for a mint Stingray is still in my opinion a low ball offer when I had already reduced the asking price by £75 down to £675, but maybe I shouldn’t have discussed this so publically in the first place – a case of ignorance and immaturity?

I perceived there to be an underlying implication that £550 was a good deal for a mint Stingray when he had suggested to me that they were going cheaper than this on the ‘bay and I should get back to him quickly so he can bid on them if I wasn’t going to sell him mine.

Anyway, as I said – I didn’t purposely set out to tell a fictional story to add my 2 pence’s worth to this thread for the sake of it and I didn’t mean to get the figures wrong and cause anyone offense, it was just the way I remembered it and I’ve put my hand up and admitted I was wrong and tried to amend thing by posting this.

I hope this situation is resolved, anyone can get in contact via PM to discuss it further.

Cheers

Edit: Edit: I do honestly feel bad for creating this situation out of a misquote but I've made myself look like a complete arse in the process as well as losing a certain amount of integrity on this forum so I feel that I've had my comeuppance.
What’s your take on this?

Edited by benwhiteuk

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='191672' date='May 4 2008, 04:48 PM']Edit: Edit: I do honestly feel bad for creating this situation out of a misquote but I've made myself look like a complete arse in the process as well as losing a certain amount of integrity on this forum so I feel that I've had my comeuppance.
What’s your take on this?[/quote]

I'd say it's an internet forum and no-one would really give a sh*t.

It all seems to me that this has blown out of all proportion. I've bought and sold guitars, amps, records, motorbikes for years, getting on ebay in 1997. I've had about 3,000 feedbacks (and a couple of hacked accounts) and through this time have met many great people (including Chris) and done deals with a lot of them.

I've also met my fair share of people who've had issues with completing transactions, failed to pay etc. Thre's usually a reason, and if they can't tell you the reason, then they're an issue. I don't care if you've not go the money, bid by accident, lost your job whatever. If people let me know straight away, and up front, I'd move on and sell the item again.

The amount of times I've been f*cked over, I would have needed to take a week off work to write them all up on internet forums!

I have one rule for transactions over £100 and it is...

[b]Whenever you buy things through an internet forum or ebay, have the courtesy to speak to the other person on the phone. This creates a real relationship and makes things a lot easier.[/b]

For what it's worth, i'd have the 74 body back in a shot Chris and rebuild that bad-boy, but you'd see some of the parts on ebay so I'll let it go this once (sad mind you!)

Cheers, L

[quote name='Jebo1' post='192091' date='May 5 2008, 10:30 AM']I have one rule for transactions over £100 and it is...

[b]Whenever you buy things through an internet forum or ebay, have the courtesy to speak to the other person on the phone. This creates a real relationship and makes things a lot easier.[/b]

Cheers, L[/quote]

+1

[quote name='Jebo1' post='192091' date='May 5 2008, 10:30 AM']I have one rule for transactions over £100 and it is...

For what it's worth, i'd have the 74 body back in a shot Chris and rebuild that bad-boy, but you'd see some of the parts on ebay so I'll let it go this once (sad mind you!)

Cheers, L[/quote]

Wise words Laurie, and actioned today when Col (King Tut), a bloody nice bloke, a bloody good player and, furthermore, a bass player who actually looks like a bass player, popped over and relieved me of the hybrid fretted.

Fretless is still available for £200 collected if anyone wants it.

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='196663' date='May 11 2008, 08:17 PM']Wise words Laurie, and actioned today when Col (King Tut), a bloody nice bloke, a bloody good player and, furthermore, a bass player who actually looks like a bass player, popped over and relieved me of the hybrid fretted.

Fretless is still available for £200 collected if anyone wants it.

Chris[/quote]
Hey Chris,

What exactly is [i]"a bass player who actually looks like a bass player"[/i] ??

Is this a potential nature/nuture argument in the making :)

Nik

someone who would walk down the street with a hiscox case and amp head in one hand and pulling an ampeg flightcased 8x10 in the other without breaking sweat. He or she puts them down sets up and is organised ready to play beforev the guiarist has even finished sorting out all thier pedals.

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='196822' date='May 11 2008, 11:58 PM']someone who would walk down the street with a hiscox case and amp head in one hand and pulling an ampeg flightcased 8x10 in the other without breaking sweat. He or she puts them down sets up and is organised ready to play beforev the guiarist has even finished sorting out all thier pedals.[/quote]
:)

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='197271' date='May 12 2008, 04:27 PM']...and then helps the drummer set up his kit, sets up the PA for the singer, and tunes the guitarist's guitar whilst the rest of the band are struggling into their leotards backstage.[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words Chris - Oh boy can I relate to the above quote!!

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='197271' date='May 12 2008, 04:27 PM']...and then helps the drummer set up his kit, sets up the PA for the singer, and tunes the guitarist's guitar whilst the rest of the band are struggling into their leotards backstage.[/quote]
..then keeps the whole band together during the gig, doesn't show off too much and quietly pulls the best looking girl/boy in the audience (who may or may not be their partner).

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='197522' date='May 12 2008, 09:20 PM']..and quietly pulls the best looking girl/boy in the audience (who may or may not be their partner).[/quote]

Even better if it just happens to be the lead guitarist's bird.
And her younger sister :)