Why become a member? ×

Got My Rush Tickets.....Crossing Off Your List Of Bass Heroes To See

spongebob

I'm really excited - booked my tickets yesterday to see Rush at the o2 in May 2013!

Never seen them before, even though I've been a fan for well over 20 years, since I was about 14 (38 now, groan...!) It's just been that I've always been in the wrong place, or resisted the 'arena' type-gig. However, I've realised that if I don't go to a place like the o2, I'll never see them.

It got me thinking - Geddy is the last bass player that I'm desperate to see. Whilst my list not engage everybody, I've managed -

1. Steve Hanley (saw him in '97 not long before he left The Fall....with Karl Burns on drums - my no. 1 gig ever).
2. Lemmy (saw him 3 times in the late 80's, really want to see him once more).
3. Jean-Jaques Burnel (Saw him last year - still awesome).
4. Lou Barlow (with Dinosaur Jr. in 2009)

I've always said that's my top 5 influences (with Ged). Nearly all done!

Anybody managed to see [b][i]all[/i][/b] of their biggest influences?

Edited by spongebob

I thought I had, but every time I cross one off I find another bassist to idolize :) Seen Burnel, Steve Harris and Jeff Ament, who're probably among the biggest influences...now I want to see Mike Dirnt, Paul Simonon and Duff McKagan to name a few. No wonder my wallet's always empty :rolleyes:

Got my ticket to see Om in September.

Al Cisneros is one of the best bassists around today (IMO, of course) and has become and influence

Out of my influences I've seen Steve Harris, JJ Burnel, John Entwistle, Billy Sheehan and Mike Watt
Only really Cliff Burton I didn't get chance to see.

Seen Geddy, Lemmy, Neil Murray, Colin Hodgkinson, Mark King, Flea, Pino, Geezer, JJB, and a few others that temporarily slip my memory!

Would love to see Marcus, Stanley, Giblin and Danny Thompson.

Real regrets - Phil Lynott and Duck Dunn.

Mine are:

Flea - seen 3x
Ben Kenney (amazing all round musician) - Seen 2x
Geddy Lee - Never seen
Bill Gould - saw a couple of weeks ago
Lou Barlow - seen 2x
Matt Freeman - seen 2x
Mike Dirnt - seen 3x

I'm sure there are loads more, maybe Sting with the Police as well?

It's funny the OP mentions Steve Hanley, I do a bit of driving and backline teching for bands and I've worked with Steve loads. He's a great guy and a really great, solid player. Not many many people mention him on here but he was the longest serving Fall member (after Mark E of course) but then people son't seem to rate Punk players as much on here.

Unfortunately I never got to see [i][b]Jaco [/b][/i]but... I have seen:
Chris Squire
Geddy (PW and MP tours)
Victor (with the Flecktones)
Stanley (with George Duke, solo, RTF and Animal Logic)
Gary Willis
Jeff Berlin (with John McLaughlin)
Tonly Levin (with King Crimson as quartet, double trio and with Peter Gabriel)
Billy Sheehan
Mark King
John Patitucci (with the Elektric Band)
.... and Adam Clayton!

All good in their own way.

Here's some I can remember.
Chris Glenn (w/MSG) 5x, Pete Way (w/UFO) 3x, Dee Dee Ramone 3x, Steve Dawson (w/Saxon) 3x John Deacon 2x, Phil Lynott 2x, JJ Burnel 2x,
Paul Gray (w/The Damned) 2x, Lemmy 2x, Sam Yaffa (w/Hanoi Rocks) 2x, Cliff Williams 2x, Geezer Butler 2x, Francis Buchholz (w/Scorpions) 2x,
John McCoy (w/Gillan), Gerry McAvoy (w/Rory Gallagher), Geddy Lee, Rudy Sarzo (w/Ozzy), Pete Trewavas (w/Marillion), Bruce Foxton (w/The Jam), Steve Harris, Roger Glover (w/Rainbow), Tom Robinson (w/TRB), Alan Lancaster (w/Quo), Leo Lyons (w/Ten Years after),
Greg T Walker (w/Blackfoot), Jim Lea, Ian Hill, Paul Slack (w/UK Subs), Martin Gordon (w/Radio Stars), Ali McMordie (w/SLF),
Phil Spalding (w/Toyah), Seggs (w/The Ruts) Steve Garvey (w/The Buzzcocks), Neil Murray (w/Whitesnake), Phil Kennemore (w/Y&T)

Would like to have seen
John Entwistle, Mick Karn, Gary Thain, Leigh Gorman, Norman Watt-Roy, Bruce Thomas, Trevor Bolder, Mike Rutherford, John Paul Jones.

[quote name='bassfunk' timestamp='1343219515' post='1747197']

It's funny the OP mentions Steve Hanley, I do a bit of driving and backline teching for bands and I've worked with Steve loads. He's a great guy and a really great, solid player. Not many many people mention him on here but he was the longest serving Fall member (after Mark E of course) but then people son't seem to rate Punk players as much on here.
[/quote]

Steve is indeed in my top 5, if not top 3 players as put up top!

I did briefly exchange a couple of emails with him once - asked him a couple of tech questions, and he was really helpful and glad to have been asked!

I know he's not a full-time player now (works as a school caretaker!) total travesty. His playing is such an influence on mine, and I always fully admit it! :D

Seen Les Claypool (3 times), Geddy Lee (twice) and Lemmy, Flea and Billy Sheehan (just the once each).
Other major influences on my playing would be people like Duck Dunn, John Paul Jones, James Jamerson, Jaco and Charles Mingus - not likely so see them live unfortunately (though I might get lucky with JPJ).

Not sure I'd elevate any of them to "heroes", but of the ones I wanted to see were;-
Jimmy Lea, 36x with Slade, once solo (but he was on guitar at the time)
Lemmy - not sure - around a dozen maybe
Alan Lancaster, didn't realise at the time, but he was an essential part of the overall Quo sound & show.
Mark King, once - because I had to to salve my curiosity.

Gutted I'll never see Duck Dunn - offhand I can't think of any others that I'd go miles out of my way to see now, though from film I've seen The Ox must have been awesome in his prime.

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1343251054' post='1747931']I'm 46 and still remember 2112 being released :)[/quote]

You're the same age as me! :) I was TEN years old when 2112 came out. You were a Rush fan at that age?!?! I'm impressed!! B)