Why become a member? ×

What's the sound of a Musicman?

4 Strings

It's the highs that shout Stingray at me, whenever I hear the piercing clacky, almost noisy treble that sounds separated from the low end. To me that is the Ray sound. Not sure how other MMs compare tbh but must be similar.

Check out Naked by Reef - you can hear the zingy treble in the middle of the mix and the rest of the bass is at the bottom.

I've been a Stingray user for many years, and for me it's the punchy thickness of the mids, and that slicing, bright top end - I can spot the sound anywhere. That said, what I find is more important is the way it plays. For me, everything is just in the right place! Over the years I've had several dalliances with high-price boutique custom-made basses, only to return to the trusty 'Ray again. No other bass sounds or feels quite the same.

The first 'quality' bass I ever owned back in the early 80's was a pre-EB Stingray which I foolishly sold a few years later when I couldn't pay the rent one month. Regretted it ever since. I recently got hold of one of the new Classic Stingrays, and it's fantastic. The lacquered neck, string-through slab body and dampers are so reminiscent of my old pre-EB. It's like snogging an old girlfriend! :lol:

Stingrays are one of the basses I've never really tried. Want to though, I had a project where a made a fretless mess of a bass with a no name MM pup in the right spot. that was nice. Prob I will build my own bass in a stingray style. :)
To me it, it's not the same, but the way that it can sit in the mix and fill it out makes me think of it as the update of a p bass

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1342945486' post='1742914']
Stingrays are one of the basses I've never really tried. Want to though, I had a project where a made a fretless mess of a bass with a no name MM pup in the right spot. that was nice. Prob I will build my own bass in a stingray style. :)
To me it, it's not the same, but the way that it can sit in the mix and fill it out makes me think of it as the update of a p bass
[/quote]

I presume this was Leo's plan?, It worked :D

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1342945577' post='1742916']
I presume this was Leo's plan?, It worked :D
[/quote]
Yeah.
To be really really honest- the one thing that's always put me off is the way EB sells them. I dunno but I don't like that company.

Lots or early RATM was done with a Stingray, and some very early blink-182 was done on a stingray too.
I always thought Duran Duran - Rio was done on a stingray.

Although I use Sandberg Basic now it's still got that basic Musicman sound, harmonically rich, enough bottom to provide thump and enough highs to cut through. Excellent instrument and one that will stay with me for a while.

I've had a fair share of EBMM basses and loved them all, but the neck on the sandberg is too good.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1342945714' post='1742917']

Yeah.
To be really really honest- the one thing that's always put me off is the way EB sells them. I dunno but I don't like that company.
[/quote]
I have never really thought too much about that side of things, if it's hanging in a shop and I like it I will buy it, I'm not on the EBMM forum either (registered never been back). What do they do that Fender don't and visa versa?

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1342945887' post='1742918']
Although I use Sandberg Basic now it's still got that basic Musicman sound, harmonically rich, enough bottom to provide thump and enough highs to cut through. Excellent instrument and one that will stay with me for a while.

I've had a fair share of EBMM basses and loved them all, but the neck on the sandberg is too good.
[/quote]
Watch out for other companies' Ray-alikes! Some of them are very very good indeed.

I've owned and sold a 'Ray 5. Was a 1990 so still had AlNiCo magnets, not ceramic. Had the usual 3-way switch but no phantom coil on sc mode.
Never got on with it. It didn't do the 'Ray sound I wanted. I've played a nice 2EQ at length, but keep preferring the 'Ray on steroids alternatives: Modulus Flea, My old Iceni, and my current Warwick Fortress Masterman 5 with its crazy 2x2EQ.

Thanks, all. Back at work and working my way through the recommendations, working backwards starting with At the Drive-In.

This seems more about the guitar sound, but this is also an example of how the MM sound is a good and satisfying sound but quite generic. Got Napoleon Solo on, bass bit in the middle could be a Precision. (Also can hear the pick scratching on the round windings!)

Edit> 198d - this has got it!

Edited by 4 Strings

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1342960835' post='1743142'] Here's what I think the OP is after: Precision = Boom-Thud Jazz = Boom-Zing Rick = Clunk-Clank StingRay = Boomerang-Boing CB [/quote]

That's the sort of thing, or;

Precision = Strong builders tea
Jazz = Latte
Rick = Herbal tea
Stingray = Sweet Turkish coffee, but in a mug

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1342945486' post='1742914'] Stingrays are one of the basses I've never really tried. Want to though, I had a project where a made a fretless mess of a bass with a no name MM pup in the right spot. that was nice. Prob I will build my own bass in a stingray style. :) To me it, it's not the same, but the way that it can sit in the mix and fill it out makes me think of it as the update of a p bass [/quote]

Now's the best time to buy if you have a bit of spare, s/h prices are rock bottom

[quote name='D.I. Joe' timestamp='1342941072' post='1742877']
...the piercing clacky, almost noisy treble that sounds separated from the low end...
[/quote]

That's it for me, that separation. Quite liked my Ray, but I found it didn't sit well with the LMIII I was using at the time, so I sold it and went back to P-bass and P-bass-soundalikes. Used the Ray on a couple of tracks on the album, at the suggestion of producer/band on the more aggressive tracks, but it was my least favourite sound; I thought the P/J was much better. The Ray looked great, though.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1342895094' post='1742566']
Ray
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXUBE_wiPtU[/media]
Sterling (I think)
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaA4lXiqClI[/media] [/quote]

Yes, first one has it definitely, second one less so

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1343036964' post='1743967']
Now's the best time to buy if you have a bit of spare, s/h prices are rock bottom
[/quote]
if you have the money now is a good time to buy a lot of things! :)

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1343038691' post='1743999']
Yes, first one has it definitely, second one less so
[/quote]

I chose that first one because that's pretty much exactly how my 'ray sounds.

The Sterling one threw me a bit as to me it really sounds like a 'ray... I wonder if it had had some modifications done? Not having played one I don't know how close to 'rays they are. I didn't think it would be that close.

[quote name='Dandelion' timestamp='1342895277' post='1742570']
"The cult live at the lyceum" has the MM sound in spades IMO.

Have a peep on you tube cos I cant access it at work.
[/quote]

Yep, shovel and spades, despite the pick and the chorus (actually, these seem to add to that hf sweetness).

I'm getting there now!

>edit, just looked at the pics for the cover etc, they show a 'P'. Doesn't sound like one. DId he use a MM?

Edited by 4 Strings

The Stingray is the only Bass that gives me serious Gas !!!

I think it's not only the most fantastic sounding Bass it's probably the prettiest, I know a lad who has a flame dark Orange Stingray and I'm sure I would sell one of my happy sacks to buy it off him !

As I'm not a serious enough player to own a Ray .....it is one i will always admire from afar !

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1343119692' post='1745368']
As I'm not a serious enough player to own a Ray .....it is one i will always admire from afar !
[/quote]

That's daft. You want one, get one. You're probably a better player than you think you are.