Why become a member? ×

What's the sound of a Musicman?

4 Strings

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1343119858' post='1745379']
That's daft. You want one, get one. You're probably a better player than you think you are.
[/quote]

Probably a better player than me, I've got two.

Not sure I'm proud of that, but I have.

One day I'll do a concerted A-B when I put new strings on both

[quote name='D.I. Joe' timestamp='1342941072' post='1742877']
It's the highs that shout Stingray at me, whenever I hear the piercing clacky, almost noisy treble that sounds separated from the low end. To me that is the Ray sound.
[/quote]

Like this? I think it might have been a Cutlass though...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIlFu5mIfnc[/media]

I've often wondered what happened to Tony Wall. Maybe a bit limited technically, but he had a great sound and played some great basslines for that band... He was good in their predecessors (sp?) too - The Reluctant Stereotypes.

Edited by Conan

I am embarrassed to admit that I have never played a Ray or one of its derivatives/copies :o :blush:

I do, however, have a pretty strong idea in my head of how I think they sound. I find them limited and unsubtle,but in a [b][i]good[/i][/b] way, if that makes sense? "That" sound is immense - powerful but somehow weedy at the same time.... how does that work?!? :huh: Loads of treble and loads of bass, but scooped. On the other hand, some players make them a phat mid-fest.

I really have no idea what I am trying to say here. :gas: :yarr:

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1343119858' post='1745379']
That's daft. You want one, get one. You're probably a better player than you think you are.
[/quote]

This might sound strange but.... when I got my 'ray it actually upped my game a little.
I upgraded from a SUB, immediately I discovered that the 'ray neck was exactly right for me and I was able to play longer and faster with less fatigue. Secondly that fretty roll that 'rays have can accentuate any fluffs or lazy technique, playing the 'ray made me notice them more and forced me to improve my technique.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1343122683' post='1745458']
I am embarrassed to admit that I have never played a Ray or one of its derivatives/copies :o :blush:

I do, however, have a pretty strong idea in my head of how I think they sound. I find them limited and unsubtle,but in a [b][i]good[/i][/b] way, if that makes sense? "That" sound is immense - powerful but somehow weedy at the same time.... how does that work?!? :huh: Loads of treble and loads of bass, but scooped. On the other hand, some players make them a phat mid-fest.

[/quote]

Cool story bro. :P
Seriously though, I don't think they are scooped at all. I think they are... er... hilly... like scooped but there's a secondary mid hump layer to the tone too... almost vowel sounding at times.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1343131125' post='1745697']I don't think they are scooped at all. I think they are... er... hilly... like scooped...[/quote]

Eh? :blink: You'll have to talk me through that one man! :D

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1343122683' post='1745458']

[/quote]

Much more flexible than a P bass....very distinctive tone but the differences with the 3 band EQ, flats, rounds, steels, fingers, pick, slap, is outrageous. Once you get a HS or HH then you have ultimate flexibility.

They have a bump in the mids somewhere which is why the are prominant in the mix...but yep, big clear bottom, and can have extreme and slicing highs should you want them.

You need to try one! You might be converted instantly! :)

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1343119692' post='1745368']
As I'm not a serious enough player to own a Ray .....it is one i will always admire from afar !
[/quote]

Ever in York? You're welcome to pop round and try. I've got two 4-string 3EQs and a 5-string 3EQ - all different years, so you get a good feel :)

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1343119692' post='1745368']
The Stingray is the only Bass that gives me serious Gas !!!

I think it's not only the most fantastic sounding Bass it's probably the prettiest, I know a lad who has a flame dark Orange Stingray and I'm sure I would sell one of my happy sacks to buy it off him !

As I'm not a serious enough player to own a Ray .....it is one i will always admire from afar !
[/quote]

And again I have 3 and I am also rubbish! :lol:

I have always thought the bassline on Nikita by Elton John ( played by the exellent David Paton) was a superb example of at least one version of the classic Stingray tone. I say at least one version because , as with any bass, the tone is variable according to the eq of the bass, amp , compressor , mixing desk ect, and not least of all the touch and technique of the player themself. On the aforementioned Nikita, for example, it sounds as if the treble is either flat or even rolled off a little to avoid that zingy high end inherent to the Stingray. Whatever way they have eq'd it , the bass sits beautifully in the mix on that track and cuts through even on a rubbish transistor radio.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1343232739' post='1747504']
I have always thought the bassline on Nikita by Elton John ( played by the exellent David Paton) was a superb example of at least one version of the classic Stingray tone. I say at least one version because , as with any bass, the tone is variable according to the eq of the bass, amp , compressor , mixing desk ect, and not least of all the touch and technique of the player themself. On the aforementioned Nikita, for example, it sounds as if the treble is either flat or even rolled off a little to avoid that zingy high end inherent to the Stingray. Whatever way they have eq'd it , the bass sits beautifully in the mix on that track and cuts through even on a rubbish transistor radio.
[/quote]

Its a lovely thought that what you hear on the radio is the result of a sensitive adjustment of the treble control on the guitar. The bass sound will have been the studied result of the producer, studio engineer, mixing engineer and, to a lesser extent, the mastering engineer. Of course they'd like a good sound to start with, and I'm sure they got it, but there'll be any amount of eq and goodness knows what processing the signal from the bass to ensure it really does sound good on a tranny.

You are quite right, ; the final bass sound on a record is dependant on a great many factors. I only meant to say that in this particular case it sounds to my ears as if they have endeavoured to reflect that hollow -but -punchy ,slightly more rounded Stingray tone made so popular by players such as Pino Palladino during this era that you can get in real life ( as opposed to the recording studio) by backing of a little on the treble control, or at least leaving it alone . It's also concievable mind you, that if they liked the sound of the direct signal coming from David Patons bass ,including his own eq , that they might not have done too much to it except add some compression ect. Complete speculation on my part ,of course .

I know what you mean about the " boing" in the Musicman sound ; for years and years I wondered what it was that gave them that characteristic zingy sound. Subsequently I have realised that it's mostly due to the parrallel wiring of that pickup which gives the Stingray such a wierd spread-out frequency response with a pronounced scoop in the low mids and an emphasis in the upper-mid, low-treble More recent EBMM designs that offer the option of switching the pickups into series mode demonstrate just how profound a difference this makes: in series mode the basses sound much more like other generic brands and disinctly "un-Musicman like " , for want of a better term.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1343311137' post='1748750']
I know what you mean about the " boing" in the Musicman sound ; for years and years I wondered what it was that gave them that characteristic zingy sound. Subsequently I have realised that it's mostly due to the parrallel wiring of that pickup which gives the Stingray such a wierd spread-out frequency response with a pronounced scoop in the low mids and an emphasis in the upper-mid, low-treble More recent EBMM designs that offer the option of switching the pickups into series mode demonstrate just how profound a difference this makes: in series mode the basses sound much more like other generic brands and disinctly "un-Musicman like " , for want of a better term.
[/quote]

Hmm, not sure they sound totally different, just louder and more middy. My Sterling 5 HS is wired in series in all 5 positions, and its just got more pronounced low mids and its a touch hotter/louder on the gain into the amp, but it still sounds like a Musicman. Like a Ray? Hmm, close, but it is its own beast.

I can't comment on the Sterling 5 because I haven't played one ( I've heard them on Youtube though and they sound fantastic) but from memory, the series/parrallel switching on the Sterling 4 makes ,to my ears at least the kind of difference I am talking about. What is for certain is that on the Stingray , its unique tone is in no small part due to that parrallel wiring. It gives it that scooped mid and extended treble that makes it sound like a Musicman .

I went round the houses to get an Alnico one by buying new then traded my old SR4 on here for another 5 as a backup which is one of the very last of the ceramic and now I prefer that one! Typical. The Alnico is much darker sounding in comparison.

I have just been looking at a Classic 5 in retro burst but the funds are a bit low, like about £1950 too low :lol:

Aren't ceramic pickups typically supposed to be a bit mor agressive sounding, as opposed to the slightly sweeter sounding anlico ones? I would love a retro burst Stingray Classic 4 but , as with all Stingrays nowadays , the chances are that it would be too heavy for me now that my advancing years begin to take their toll. If I could guarantee a light weight I would jump at one , but aparrently EBMM cannot give any assurances on weight for customer orders ,unfortunately. A long time ago I used to have a mint condition pre -EBMM Stingray that was light as a feather but in my youthful inexperience I just presumed all Stingrays were that light , that pre -EBMMs were not uncommon and I decided to let it go for something else I fancied at the time , It must have been a fairly late model because it had a four bolt neck and was in superb nick . I love the look of the new Stingray Classics ; to my sensibilities a Stingray doesn't look quite right without the old style bridge with the mutes, ( not that I have/would ever actually use the mutes but...) and that figured maple neck with the gloss finish is stunning.

Edited by Dingus