Why become a member? ×

Kiwi in Edinburgh

Kiwi Jaz

Hi,

I am new to this great forum and new to the world of thumping low end.

I am a guitarist, but recently borrowed a nice old relic'd MusicMan Stingray and have got the bug.

I love Jamiroquai and RHCP and have been teaching myself via youtube videos, books and bass videos.

Want to pickup an American Fender Jazz at some stage when a good one comes up. Will keep my eye out here for one.

Welcome to Basschat and Edinburgh. Get yourself down to The Jazz Bar on Chambers St where you'll find a lot of like minded bass players. I recommend any band with Aki Remally playing in it (he plays bass and guitar as well) as he's the funkiest of the funkiest.

Hey man,

Welcome! I'll +1 heading to the Jazz Bar and I'll also +1 checking out anything with Aki Remally. He's a funky funk indeed. A friend of mine holds residence with his funk band in Jazz Bar on a Monday late night 12-3am if you're ever around that late.

I dare say though, the last time I was at Jazz Bar, it was a Friday night and there was nothing better than an average function band playing the late night slot. It was a bitter, bitter disappointment. The bass player was great though and he had a beautiful Fender Precision with flats. It was very Motown. Very Motown indeed. Pity his band let him down though!

Hey Kiwi,

Welcome to BC.
+1 on StingRay, Jazz Bass, Jamiroquai and RHCP, and I apologise deeply for not knowing any better waterholes in or around Edinburgh.

Enjoy the forum!

all the best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='razze06' timestamp='1342785287' post='1740881']
Hey Kiwi,

More welcomes from the burgh!

Where do you stay in Edinburgh? Plenty places for live music and good pints around the town
[/quote]

Thanks razze06. I am in Canonmills. Have actually been there for a few years though. It is a great city!

Shocked and saddened that so far there's no signs of love & appreciation for Whistle-Binkies in this thread. It used to be my first port of call for live bands most nights of the week. I especially used to like watching a band (I forget the name) who's drummer used to talk to each part of his kit as he hit it.

Kiwi stated his interest in jazzy and funky stuff, not perhaps the most represented genres at whistlebinkies!

<plug> On the other hand, I will be playing ska and reggae on August 4th, 9.30-12.00 </plug>

It's a great venue. I also went back to Henry's cellar bar after a 10-year absence, and I found it quite nice, in a scruffy kind of way, better than i remember it. Good place for live music too!

[quote name='razze06' timestamp='1342793418' post='1741060']
Kiwi stated his interest in jazzy and funky stuff, not perhaps the most represented genres at whistlebinkies
[/quote]

My tongue was very firmly in my cheek, honest Guv; Binkies has been covered a few times on BC. When I used to go it had different genres on different nights - and of course it's only a 5 min walk from Chamber St.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1342793897' post='1741077']
My tongue was very firmly in my cheek, honest Guv; Binkies has been covered a few times on BC. When I used to go it had different genres on different nights - and of course it's only a 5 min walk from Chamber St.
[/quote]

Pardon me, been spending too much time on serious work stuff!

It's indeed a great venue, you never know what you're going to get on the night :)

Could be my memory, or the fact I've never been a jazzer, but wasn't the place on Chambers St more a straight up jazz place rather than a funky place? I seem to remember one on Morrison St (Henry's???) that was funky? There was also a place on Waterloo Place which claimed to be a Jazz Club (huge banner outside on the corner balcony) but I never saw a single jazz band there.
The last year I actually lived there the Bongo Club had just re-opened at a new location down the Royal Mile area. The Bongo was always excellent for discovering new bands.

Good pint? Got to be Bentleys bar next to the Kings, or Mathers on the end of Q'ferry Rd - raw floorboards & a big old bar.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1342803859' post='1741329']
Could be my memory, or the fact I've never been a jazzer, but wasn't the place on Chambers St more a straight up jazz place rather than a funky place? I seem to remember one on Morrison St (Henry's???) that was funky?
[/quote]

Henry's is still with us, but it dropped the Jazz bit from the name several years ago, so it's more of yer typical basement indie venue now. The Jazz bar is doing quite a bit of funky stuff lately, especially at the weekends. There is also a Sunday night jazz session at Whighams in the west end, often with the excellent Jay Kilbride on bass. That tends to be more of a singer's session. It's got a bit of an upmarket, wine-bar thing about it though - I feel a bit out of place there!

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1342813198' post='1741505']
It's got a bit of an upmarket, wine-bar thing about it though - I feel a bit out of place there!
[/quote]

Sounds a bit like Madogs used to be on George St. They just had a pianist then. I used to work on the door there donkey's years ago.
No out & out jazz bars then? It'd be a shame if Edinburgh of all places lost them completely. Queens Hall used to have a few sessions during the festival, but obv. that's a venue - all be it small - rather than a cosy bar/pub.

Here is me happy drinking beers in the tesco's carpark not realising there was a wealth of good band venues out there! : ) I do need to get out more though! The Edinburgh jazz festival kicks off this weekend. Any recommendations on who to see?

Yes see me tomorrow saturday at the Jazz and blues fest mardi gras. I'll be playing with the Dana Dixon Band from 1 til 4pm. It's free and it's out in the open air (bit risky for Edinburgh).

We're more Blues than Jazz.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1342892721' post='1742534']
originally from N.Ire)
[/quote]

.......... speaking of which, there used to be a cracking Irish bar on Nicolson St just around the corner from the Cellar, got burnt down when the Belle Angelle burnt down. Great live venue, it was where I saw my first ever Ovation Magnum :gas: