Why become a member? ×

Headphone practice rigs? What are you using?

Bigwan

I have a small Lexicon usb interface which relays audio from my laptop to my hi-fi. Connect bass to 1/4 inch lack input, Sennheiser D25s to headphone out and all is good. I get whatever audio the laptop's playing along with the bass and the Lexicon has a blend knob to adjust the balance between the two inputs. Sounds great but could be less bulky to carry. I have a set of Skull Candy Inkd ear buds I also use which sound great for the money and are much easier to carry. .

I use either a USB interface into my mac and use GarageBand or amplitube.

If I'm away from home I use an irig into amplitube on either m iPhone or iPad. There are free practice apps too, I think one is a GK app.

A pair of closed-back headphones provides enough quality- I find cheap earbuds cut too many frequencies.

[quote name='El Bajo' timestamp='1344591336' post='1766717']
I'm skint so; Cheap earbud with very short cable in left hear plugged into laptop, cheap ear but with very short cable in right ear plugge into practice amp. I can feel my brain seperating during practice :(
[/quote]

I'm hurting just thinking about that :)

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1342643858' post='1738678']
Dave Hall VT1EQ, bass in one end, iPod into the line input and headphones at my kitchen table. Simples
[/quote]

OR failing that an EHX headphone amp and earbuds. Not as nice as the VT1 though...

• 4 weeks later...

Just got my hands on a TC RH750 so I'm able to plug my iPhone into the back via the aux in, and then a cheapie pair of Roland Monitor headphones out. Tried it yesterday and it works a treat. Adjusting the volume for the bass doesn't affect the iPhones volume either... I do a lot of transcribing so if I need to add my laptop into the equation, the plan is to go through the DI on the 750 into my small little £30 behringer mixer, and then whack the iPhone and laptop out into the mixer..... Sorted!

Whenever I need to play along with stuff its laptop running Reaper with rips loaded into it (that way I can set up sections, loop whatever I need to, slow playback down at the same pitch, tune the pitch of the recording to A440 without changing the speed, etc etc etc) into aux in of Digitech BP8 (which I have to borrow off Plux, note to self invest in my own dedicated headphone amp!), Roscoe in BP8, BP8 to Sennheiser HD595 cans (which are rapidly wearing out).

If I dont need to play along to stuff I practice acoustically, always.

If I need to work on sounds from the pedal board then its full rig; fx like touch wahs (envelope filters) and distortions sound and behave differently when I'm playing through the big rig to when they are just coming out of speakers, because my touch is definitely different, whether I like it or not. Either way I get better (though not perfect) translation to playing with a band if I use the full rig than if I use anything else.

Conversely when recording with a touch wah I like to hear the sound from the control room monitors, weird!

Edited by 51m0n

Korg Pandora PX4B > Sennheiser HD280pro.
Plug the iPod into the Korg if I'm playing along with something, or into the PC if i've had to slow down or pitch-change the original song using Audacity (it's easier than using the Aux Pitch on the Korg).

[quote name='q_of_doom' timestamp='1343895714' post='1756839']
For a long time I used a Boss ME-50B, but the Tascam GT-R1 is just so much more portable and versatile.
[/quote]

Yep, I used to use the Tascam MP-BT1 but bought a GT-R1 for the extra features (drum beats, recording, plays WAV files etc) and now use that almost exclusively.

There's a few thing that the MP-BT1 did better, but not many.