Why become a member? ×

Flea

Pete Academy

Soul to squeeze is one of their least known tracks yet one of if not their best, no slapping walking on hands or anything, just a great groove :)

I was at knebworth and he was more solid than previous times I have seen them also his sound for once was really good, gave me Modulus gas big time!

As for knocking him I don't know? Each to their own but do not feed the trolls :)

Amazing player , if you saw him playing down your local rose and crown you would most likely be lovin his groves , but yes him being popular does seem to make sense , we hate it when our friends become successful !

[quote name='gub' timestamp='1341953974' post='1727075']
Amazing player , if you saw him playing down your local rose and crown you would most likely be lovin his groves , but yes him being popular does seem to make sense , [b]we hate it when our friends become successful ![/b]
[/quote]
It all seems so unfair doesn't it :D

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1341953345' post='1727061']
Soul to squeeze is one of their least known tracks yet one of if not their best, no slapping walking on hands or anything, just a great groove :)
:)
[/quote]

Agree totally

I've never understood the bashing of Flea, and especially the suggestion he is a one trick pony, who's only good at slap. Some of his best lines are totally slap free! Under the Bridge, Scar Tissue, Californication, Soul to Squeeze, are all really tasteful lines :) .

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1341960576' post='1727239']
I'll be entirely honest here. In most RHCP recordings he comes up with some great sounding lines but for my liking he shows off a fair amount and I've never enjoyed the whole incredibly fast slap thing he does.

I'm not knocking him, I'm just not a fan.
[/quote]
Booooooohhhhhh..........fleas cool.

First few live bits I saw (recorded on TV/internet) of him playing "fast" stuff I didn't like. He seemed a bit all over the place and showing off without any kind of groove, then playing much simpler stuff in the actual songs.

Since then I've heard more (and seen Chillis live, though Ben Harper blew them out the water, but that's another story) and he's a great bassist that sometimes gets a little excited and loses sight of the groove a little sometimes. I've got a lot of respect for him, though it's getting a bit annoying people asking if he's a big inspiration for me (partially because he's one of the most famous bassists to non-musos and partly because I use a ray into a GK). :D

[quote name='Wil' timestamp='1341953181' post='1727055']
Because he's popular.
[/quote]

This.

His playing is groovy and fits the songs superbly. I think because he's popular people expect more flashiness or something? No idea... Then there's just the people who hate slap ;)

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1341960576' post='1727239']
but for my liking he shows off a fair amount [/quote]

He is a rock star FFS!! :rolleyes: :D

Great player. Great guy. Totally weird - but in a good way. B)

Oh, and I like Mark King too! :o

Edited by Conan

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1341954404' post='1727092']
...............But is he better than Mark King :ph34r:
[/quote]

I know that was a joke but it's the sort of thing many people say. What they generally mean is that they don't happen to like the music concerned so they brand the musicians as 'crap'. It's very immature playground stuff.

I mean, that Macca eh? How useless is he? ;)