Why become a member? ×

Kasabian

I used to work at gigs.
Worked at one of their gigs, they had drunk a fair bit... but the bass player I couldn't work out, he was using a capo and not playing the baseline coming through the FOH.
Well they had a drum break and he went too fast and so the band came in at a different time... and all of a sudden you could see half of the sound was off a backing track, including the bass.
Disapointing.

I bought their first album and loved it and as a result bought a ticket to see them at Alexandra Palace.
Personally I thought they were dreadful when I saw them, whether it was to do with the fact that Ali Pali is notorious for being difficult to get a good sounding gig or whether it was that they were just having an off night, who knows.

I've since seen them them come through some festivals I've worked on and they were fantastic, a great show with some top notch songs which will really get a crowd going and they can stir up a great buzz of an atmosphere.
Club foot is a cracking song to play.
On reflection I'll happily put the Ali Pali gig as just "one of those gigs", top band, great songs & great live.

Also Serge's goal at Soccer Aid 2012 was phenomenal!!!!

(on a slight detraction from the main topic, one of my best mates was working on a Kasabian gig at Earl's Court a few years ago and tells this cracking story.
After the Kasabian gig had finished he popped into the aftershow party for a pint before home-time with his flatmate who was a little bit worse for wear.
At the party, my mate's flatmate spotted Noel Gallagher and dragged him over with her saying "we must say hi".
Once they both arrived at Noel Gallagher - said flatmate then promptly buggered off after 2 seconds, leaving my mate starting at Noel with a sheepish and apologetic grin on his face.
Trying to rescue the situation and his dignity, my mate (Tom) then started a new line of conversation, to which Noel responded well, noticing that Tom had been stitched up and put in an awkward situation by a drunken friend:
Tom: hmmm... So..., what do you do then?
Noel: Ah, I'm in a band with my brother.
Tom: Are you any good?
Noel: We're ok, I think we may actually get somewhere and possibly make it.
Tom: That sounds great, the pub at the end of my road is looking for new bands, you should give 'em a call.
Noel: Yeah, thanks mate, blinding idea, sounds great...etc etc etc)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1342267083' post='1732548']
Because of this thread, I checked them on tv last night at T in the park.
I don't get them at all.... No songs no nothing, all eggs in a dodgy style basket but hugely overrated IMO. Oh well, move on.
[/quote]

I saw their T in the Park slot. I'll be a bit more blunt. I thought they were f***ing sh*t. If this is one of the best British bands it'll explain why I'm listening to a lot of US music lately.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1342282311' post='1732811']
Yeah, say what you think Rich for Christ's sake, don't beat about the bush.
[/quote]

Put a :) on the end, otherwise I'll think you're being serious :). And stop using my real name :D

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1342210080' post='1731904']
I used to work at gigs.
Worked at one of their gigs, they had drunk a fair bit... but the bass player I couldn't work out, he was using a capo and not playing the baseline coming through the FOH.
Well they had a drum break and he went too fast and so the band came in at a different time... and all of a sudden you could see half of the sound was off a backing track, including the bass.
Disapointing.
[/quote]

i saw him use a capo on IoW footage last year or the year before.
Never seen a bass player use one before.
Forgive my ignorance, but why would you need to?

[quote name='Cyrene' timestamp='1342297435' post='1733070']
[/quote]

well the baseline of the song was of a backing track- I couldn't even work out what he was playing

• 2 weeks later...

I was at the Nailsea & Backwell Beer and Cider festival (they're small towns in North Somerset - not a huge event but fun all the same) and Kasabian's drummer - Ian Matthews - was playing in a rock covers band. They were really good, great vocalists (one male and one female) and had fun on stage. I later found out that Ian lives in Backwell (I live in Nailsea) and plays in local covers bands when not on tour with Kasabian. There's something about this that I just really like.

• 5 weeks later...

Saw kasabian on tv last night at reading.... Enjoyed the bass :-)

....... Fender jaguars by the looks of it with, I think a Gibson semi acoustic maybe

It's funny but since I started Bass in January , I can only hear the bass and look for the bass .... Normal I guess .... :-)

Homed in on Green Day as well as they are recommended listening for one of the Rockschool Grade 3 pieces.....

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1345976446' post='1783648']
since I started Bass in January , I can only hear the bass and look for the bass .... Normal I guess .... :-)[/quote]

I hope it is, coz it's the same with me, only that I now also intensely listen to the drums/bass interplay - way more than before.

best,
bert

[quote name='Cyrene' timestamp='1342297435' post='1733070']
[/quote]

Some of the bass parts have pedal tones on the same fret. Empire for example goes the 5th fret to 2nd fret across the strings and the lowest note in the song is an F#.

So he uses a capo so he can just use his first finger and play it as if it were to the open string.

I've done it a few times