Why become a member? ×

Root / Octave Playing

xilddx

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1341492034' post='1719927']
I have also recently been playing Get Back by The Beatles. There are no intervals at all. Should I be experimenting with this new fangled Root/Octave abomination there too?
[/quote]
No. Something this beautiful would be wasted on the Beatles :D

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1341492904' post='1719947']
No. [b]Something[/b] this beautiful would be wasted on the [b]Beatles[/b] :D
[/quote]

The irony being that 'Something' is indeed a Beatles bassline which uses....root/octave :D

Lord Macca of Scouse, plays some root octaves during the verses on this under rated Bee Attles song, its just a pity his bass is out of tune <_<
Great tune though! :happy:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTNbhoHaVvE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTNbhoHaVvE[/url]

There are some nice ocatves in 'Paranoid' that I am struggling to get up to speed. The band I've just joined does a cover of this so I'm gonna have to get my finger out. Literally!!
(Did I mention I was in a band? I think I may have alluded to it in passing, lol :lol: )

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1341503282' post='1720179']
There are some nice ocatves in 'Paranoid' that I am struggling to get up to speed. The band I've just joined does a cover of this so I'm gonna have to get my finger out. Literally!!
(Did I mention I was in a band? I think I may have alluded to it in passing, lol :lol: )
[/quote]

I always find the best way to approach songs you're finding tricky is to have a hissy fit, a bit of a strop and rant in front of the other band members, then, and only then refuse to play it...for artistic reasons of course ;)

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1341503553' post='1720184']
I always find the best way to approach songs you're finding tricky is to have a hissy fit, a bit of a strop and rant in front of the other band members, then, and only then refuse to play it...for artistic reasons of course ;)
[/quote]

Hmmm yes, I like your thinking .. this idea has potential :ph34r:
Better not play this card too soon though, or I will be out before I'm in! So to speak. :unsure:

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1341503282' post='1720179']
[/quote]
It's great to put it in once you've mastered it but you'd be amazed how many covers bands don't bother and just stick to the root in that section!

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1341502735' post='1720168']
Lord Macca of Scouse, plays some root octaves during the verses on this under rated Bee Attles song, its just a pity his bass is out of tune <_<
Great tune though! :happy:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTNbhoHaVvE[/media]
[/quote]

I think its great too, great playing all round. Love focus on the police and bowler hats talking to them. What rebels we all are!

[quote name='phil.i.stein' timestamp='1341509132' post='1720310']
my favourite example,

like the title 'perfect pairs'..

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLmQSDMK-iE[/media]
[/quote]

Love fIREHOSE!!!

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1341505089' post='1720215']

It's great to put it in once you've mastered it but you'd be amazed how many covers bands don't bother and just stick to the root in that section!
[/quote]

I think I may have to resort to this actually. At least initially. Interesting to know I wouldnt be the only who dies this little cheat. That makes me feel a bit less stressed about it, ta.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1341518818' post='1720502']

I think I may have to resort to this actually. At least initially. Interesting to know I wouldnt be the only who dies this little cheat. That makes me feel a bit less stressed about it, ta.
[/quote]

It's not a cheat it's a technique :P

[quote name='phil.i.stein' timestamp='1341509132' post='1720310']
my favourite example,

like the title 'perfect pairs'..

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLmQSDMK-iE[/media]
[/quote]
[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1341510293' post='1720339']
Love fIREHOSE!!!
[/quote]

OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD!!!! FELLOW fIREHOSE FANS??

a rare thing indeed so we are :)

I can't believe I'm reading this torrid nonsense ! Look away from the glitzy lure of the vile octave and repeat after me ' root - five - root - five -root - five -root - five -root - five -root - five -root - five -' . It has been good enough generations of players and it's good enough for you lot !
Next thing you know there will be talk of playing beyond the fifth fret.....

[quote name='grumble' timestamp='1341520570' post='1720544']
I can't believe I'm reading this torrid nonsense ! Look away from the glitzy lure of the vile octave and repeat after me ' root - five - root - five -root - five -root - five -root - five -root - five -root - five -' . It has been good enough generations of players and it's good enough for you lot !
Next thing you know there will be talk of playing beyond the fifth fret.....
[/quote]

You mean the piece I am currently working on that starts on the 15th fret is a bad thing.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1341485012' post='1719757']
like i said, disco 2000

;)
[/quote]

Oh dear, for a moment i thought Disco 2000 was going Into Gloria. :lol:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_rz_zimMpQ[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=355Fk8drgZE[/media]

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1341520772' post='1720547']
You mean the piece I am currently working on that starts on the 15th fret is a bad thing.
[/quote]

It's all in your imagination, everyone knows a bass doesnt have fifteen frets.