Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pickups It Worth Upgrading?

Hobbayne

Having a debate between some muso friends, about the pros and cons of upgrading the stock Pups on cheaper Squiers and MIM Fenders.
Non bass players cant seem to hear the difference betweem my SPB1s, and the stock Mexicans on my P Bass. :huh: Im getting paranoid now that I wasted my money. But at least I can tell the difference!!

it doesn't matter what non-bass players think. you're a bass player and you can hear the difference.

non-guitarists usually can't tell the difference between two guitars and their pickups aside from some visual aesthetics. same goes for drummers with their drums/cymbals, violinists, pianists, etc, etc.

I have this with our singer/guitarist. No matter what bass/amp/cab/pickup I use, he says "It just goes boom in the background".

The main thing is, you can tell the difference. When I`ve swapped pickups, the difference has been quite clear to me, but I`m sure no-one else would have been able to tell, as they don`t listen for the tone of the instrument, only that it`s playing the right notes.

Herein lies the difference between "fit for purpose" and "actually nice sounding". In a mix or live, the fit-for-purpose pickup will be indistinguishable to most people (most people being the general public and non-bassist musicians, we are in a minority after all :) ).

So if you wanted something serviceable and fit for purpose, you've wasted your money. If you wanted something that sounded nice to you, then you got a good deal :)

Edit: Just so you know, nobody noticed when I swapped out my Korean pup for a wizard trad and upgraded the electrics, but it made all the difference to me!

Edited by Commando Jack

If you like the sound of your new pickups then you haven't wasted your money.

The better your rig sounds to you the happier you'll be and the better you will play, so even if the others can't hear the difference in the sound they'll know you’re playing better.

Anyway, all this gear stuff is for us not them.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1341424904' post='1718843']
But at least I can tell the difference!!
[/quote]

There's your answer hiding right at the end of your very own post.

If you're happy that's what counts and I'd drop it there before you go insane trying to impress on others how different it "should" sound to them.

Cheers
Dave

You're probably more likely to notice an improvement changing pickups on a cheaper bass than an expensive one, however played on it's own you might struggle to hear a difference.

On the other hand it you have a number of basses and one sounds weak compared with the others, a hotter pickup may well fix the problem and be worth the money.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1341425302' post='1718856']
non bass players often can't tell the difference between a P a Jazz, a stingray or anything from sound. The "oh you played an upright tonight, oh i didn't notice", I'm sure happens sometimes too
[/quote]

This.

I remember when i could not tell the difference between a Jazz and a Precision, and "bass is bass, innit?"... then I learnt Jazz has a thinner neck, ok, then I thought "that is the difference that matters then".
Ridiculous, I know, how could I not tell???
I had been playing guitar for years at that stage, and I could hear the difference between a tele and a strat, P90 pickups, humbuckers... but I guess I didn't care for bass.
That changed rapidly between 2005-2007 'though :)

To the OP: if you hear it, it's what counts the most.
In my opinion, cheaper instruments benefit the most (generally, but not always) from pickup changes. Soemtimes teh difference is subtle to the ears of the "non-initiated non-bassplayers"... sometimes it just gives you a more balanced output, with a bit of extra body and that deeper "thump" that most people might not notice, but you feel when playing it. If I hear it, if I feel it, and I like it, I play beter. Simple.

Edited by mcnach

If your drummer changed to a different brand of cymbals, drum heads or sticks and didn't tell you - would you notice? Really??

But if he noticed, and it improved his playing pleasure, it would benefit the whole band.

If you like the upgrade, it is 100% worthwhile! :D

For me, getting the sound right (and the pickups are a key factor) makes it easier for me to play well. That's why it's worth it, even if no-one can hear the (IMO obvious) tonal differences if I'm fighting the sound of the instrument then my playing suffers.