Why become a member? ×

Consistent restraint in playing

norvegicusbass

John Mcvie.
Not a shadow of doubt in my mind that this bloke could throw out chops with the best of them yet his playing is always subservient to the song. Throughout his long career he has always played with a lot of restraint and self control. I don't know of many others who were content to remain in the shadows as such an unsung hero . Just listened to Gypsy, awful song but a lovely simple bass line a little reminiscent of James Jamerson on The Temptations Just My Imagination insofar as its a really easy to listen to line from a bass player playing well within themselves

Good call. Its easy to get carried away, forget the role of the bass and stick a bit of bass wan*ery in the middle of a tune. Guilty as charged. Off to a gig in a minute and going to sit back and try to provide a groovin foundation for the others to work with. Thanks for the reminder :)

I'm a huge fan of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, I love the bass (and guitar) playing, not such a fan of the later band, but do agree that the bass is always perfect for the song. Another great unsung hero.

One of my heroes from John Mayall onwards.

His playing was understated but Mayall used to give him a solo in Parchment Farm which always brought the house down. It's a shame they left it out of the recorded version.

[quote name='norvegicusbass' timestamp='1340990599' post='1712606']
John Mcvie.
Not a shadow of doubt in my mind that this bloke could throw out chops with the best of them yet his playing is always subservient to the song. Throughout his long career he has always played with a lot of restraint and self control. I don't know of many others who were content to remain in the shadows as such an unsung hero .[/quote]

Cliff Williams of AC/DC always impresses me with his solid no-frills basslines. That's what bass playing is all about - the song.

Yep, John McVie plays some lovely understated stuff, great rhythm section.

Billy Sheehan once said "My job in the band is to make everyone else sound good." , although I suspect his tongue may have been firmly in his cheek at that point...

John McVie is a bit of a legend chez Rushbo Towers. He does a great job, in the same way that Duck Dunn did a great job - no frills, no flash, just brilliant, supportive playing.

...but who hasn't played 'The Chain' at a soundcheck, eh?

...and he rocks that 'Bandana and Beard' combo, so beloved of folically challenged Bassists of a certain age. That'll be me then.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1341007734' post='1712910']
I think a lot of the simplicity in the early days of the Buckingham\Nicks lineup was partly due to a 'bottle for breakfast' habit.
[/quote]

'Scuse me if I go off topic, but I remember reading in the original 'Standing in the shadows of Motown' book, that Jamerson took a rookie muso out to lunch on his first day at Motown. They pulled up at a 7-11 in Jamerson's car, he saunters into the store and emerges moments later with a bottle of Metaxa and a bunch of grapes. Well, that was one of his five a day. And a bunch of grapes too. Boom tish.

[quote name='norvegicusbass' timestamp='1340990599' post='1712606']
John Mcvie.
Not a shadow of doubt in my mind that this bloke could throw out chops with the best of them yet his playing is always subservient to the song. Throughout his long career he has always played with a lot of restraint and self control. I don't know of many others who were content to remain in the shadows as such an unsung hero . Just listened to Gypsy, awful song but a lovely simple bass line a little reminiscent of James Jamerson on The Temptations Just My Imagination insofar as its a really easy to listen to line from a bass player playing well within themselves
[/quote]I would say that he is subordinate, not subservient. It's his choice to play supportively.

Edited by steve-soar

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1341101104' post='1713938']
I would say that he is subordinate, not subservient. It's his choice to play supportively.
[/quote]spot on.. i love some of his playing on FM's stuff.. his playing is wonderful.. not really important but my mum used to date Mick Fleetwood.. yes that is my very distant claim to fame.. :lol:

Edited by bubinga5

I must admit that I far prefer the early FM to the latter. I listen to Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac all the time for the love of their music. I rarely listen to the Buckingham/Nicks Fleetwood Mac and the only reason I do is to hear a bassline. For instance I am going to listen to the track that Hobbayne mentioned in his post so I can check out that line.

[quote]
Cliff Williams of AC/DC always impresses me with his solid no-frills basslines. That's what bass playing is all about - the song.
[/quote]

So true - 'Shoot To Thrill' has the simplest bassline, but the inverted note in the 2nd chorus (2:06) is the most perfect way to lift the song. Such simple variation makes a big difference to the feel.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw7w2b_FTC8[/media]

[quote name='randymussel' timestamp='1341222866' post='1715233']

So true - 'Shoot To Thrill' has the simplest bassline, but the inverted note in the 2nd chorus (2:06) is the most perfect way to lift the song. Such simple variation makes a big difference to the feel.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw7w2b_FTC8[/media]
[/quote]

The whole album is quite simply essential play-along-listening.
I recommend it to anyone who is learning to play the bass.
I sat and plonked along to it when it was released and it taught me soo much about bass playing (and rock/pop music as a whole)
One of my classic albums of all time.