Why become a member? ×

Strange audition

gub

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1340750252' post='1709260']
There was a B'ham based function band on Partysounds about a year ago who were looking for a Bass Player that didnt smell of Werthers Originals. Probably an age thing.[/quote]

:lol: Ha, ha! The current mrs discreet calls them 'paedo pellets'. Don't know why. :unsure:

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1340752342' post='1709293']
Drummers, eh? What did I say?!? :lol:
[/quote]

Don't wanna be a bore 'n' all, but strictly speaking, in a scientific sense that is, we don't have drummers for sentence building. We have them because they're the most fun to be around with for the rest of the day, when we do not add music to their rhythm.

We indulge while making music so we can take a beer with them afterwards, or, as I may have relayed here earlier, to climb the walls of the college building to borrow some instruments from the loft so as to provide free concerts to the general public at 3 AM before daybreak in the early morning while it's dark outside.

This deviates a little, but is still on subject of oddball guitarists.

A guy bought a USA '62 RI in a shop up here many years ago. A day or so later he was back in with it, saying "..something isn't right with it!" The guitar-tech looked it over and could find [i]nothing[/i] wrong with it. The guy kept on bringing it back in. The 'issues' began to range from weird howling sounds to speech and then radioactivity!! The shop said, since they found nothing was wrong with it, they could not order another, whereupon he said "Take it, then; I don't wan't it!" and just left it on the counter!

The next day, he came back in with a bunch of MESA/GT valves and, again citing radioactivity, left them on the counter and disappeared forever.

Edited by Stacker

I auditioned as a bassist for a band once that "used to be sh*t hot, and were reforming - minus original bass player". I had been playing for about 6 years at the time and been in a few bands and knew most of the songs.

Thought id show off..

I turned up with my full rig to this rehearsal studio (at the time i had a 2x10, 1x15 and 300w trace head, as well as a couple of basses and all my effects)

I waited in the room and set up whilst they were coming in - I saw a couple of small unnamed practice amps on the floor, and they got their squiers out and we "blasted" through a few of the songs and something just werent right.

I asked everyone during the break what their highlights were, big gigs etc - whilst the "lead" guitarist was going more and more red. Turned out that the drummer had only had about 3 lessons and had been playing for about a month. The singer was "good at karaoke", other guitarist hadnt played in front of a crowd before, and the other guitarist (that asked me along) had been in a band and played one half set of covers at a mates party once.

I promptly packed up and left.

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1340750252' post='1709260']
There was a B'ham based function band on Partysounds about a year ago who were looking for a Bass Player that didnt smell of Werthers Originals.

Probably an age thing.
[/quote]

went along for an audition a couple of months ago with a bunch of just turning pro mid 20s former music students - really sound bunch, very focussed, very proficient, without being over earnest and irritating - they said they didnt have a problem with age and did say that most of the bass players they had auditioned were 'about my age'

currently playing with two set ups - a function band (all about my age ish) and an occasional band for a local singer/songwriter where i am the oldest band member by 200% :D

can only assume that bands who insist on being ageist are purely interested in style/image over substance? <_<

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1340782606' post='1709396']
can only assume that bands who insist on being ageist are purely interested in style/image over substance? <_<
[/quote]

I've never found that to be a problem...

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/7382392322_866849006e_h.jpg[/IMG]

Once auditioned a percussionist who approached us at a gig and offered his services. Seemed like a good guys and our funk band could use one. Sent him a tape of the set and arranged a rehearsal. He then turned up at rehearsal with TONS of gear, congas, timbales, racks of bells and bongos plus gongs and other [email="cr@p"]cr@p[/email]. After about an hour to set up we started to play. All I can describe is a cacophony similar to the sound of a drumkit rolling down a flight of concrete steps. After a few mins of horrified looks between the band, we tried to suggest bits he could play - no good, eventually we called a halt to the horror, helped him pack down and in to his van and wished him the best. Think his mum must have bought him the gear, still wonder what became of that lad?

[quote name='Bassmonkey' timestamp='1340789762' post='1709517']
Once auditioned a percussionist who approached us at a gig and offered his services. Seemed like a good guys and our funk band could use one. Sent him a tape of the set and arranged a rehearsal. He then turned up at rehearsal with TONS of gear, congas, timbales, racks of bells and bongos plus gongs and other [email="cr@p"]cr@p[/email]. After about an hour to set up we started to play. All I can describe is a cacophony similar to the sound of a drumkit rolling down a flight of concrete steps. After a few mins of horrified looks between the band, we tried to suggest bits he could play - no good, eventually we called a halt to the horror, helped him pack down and in to his van and wished him the best. Think his mum must have bought him the gear, still wonder what became of that lad?
[/quote]

He joined Rush

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1340731417' post='1708834']
Sounds like he only realized he was out of his depth once the audition started.
We had a similar one, we gave the guy two months to start learning tunes from CDs , the first time he played with us his sat there doing nothing...."Er can you write me out a chord chart?"
[/quote]

I seem to have missed something, are you saying you set up an audition 2 months in advance or gave him the job without an audition and it turned out he couldn't play? Either way round seems kind of odd to me is all.

We'd seen him play and he really can. He'd expressed an interest in what we were doing , we asked if he fancied playing with us.
We had a busy period to get through that didn't allow time for training up new additions to the line up and agreed to get together in two months for what we assumed was only a formality of an audition.
As it turned out he was either incapable or too lazy to work guitar parts out for himself, either way he wasn't going to be any use to us, after two numbers we agreed to forget the idea.