Why become a member? ×

5 string players - what gauge strings do you use?

TRBboy

Don't see or hear a problem with lighter gauges.

I run low action with lighter strings so you have to use a light touch.
The benefits of all this is that you don't fight the bass so much... don't tire, don't stress. and I am pretty sure
being kinder to the hands will pay dividends longer in your playing life....with regards to hand problems etc etc

45 to 135, usually Ernie Ball Slinkys, DR Hi Beams / Fat Beams or Status Hotwires depending on the sound I'm after.

35" Scale length and graphite neck makes the heavyish low B as punchy and usable as the other strings in my experience.

I have got a set of 40 to 120 which I bought by accident, feels too sloppy and the low B sounds too indistinct. It draws attention to itself, really feels like the bottom has dropped out of the song.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1340439758' post='1704394']
Don't see or hear a problem with lighter gauges.

I run low action with lighter strings so you have to use a light touch.
The benefits of all this is that you don't fight the bass so much... don't tire, don't stress. and I am pretty sure
being kinder to the hands will pay dividends longer in your playing life....with regards to hand problems etc etc
[/quote]

That's exactly the way I feel about playing bass these days; why make it any harder than it needs to be? If you make your instrument as comfortable and easy to play as possible, you'll get far more enjoyment out of it for the reasons you stated above.

Think I might have to get some .040" - .125" and see how I get on...... I normally buy D'addario Prosteels, but I wish they had a set with .080" and .100" instead of .075" and .095". Ah well, I'll give it a shot!

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1340387873' post='1703972']
I'm suspecting this is where I'll end up, in fact, the more I think about it the more I think this is what I used to use.

D'addario Prosteels are just awesome! They seem to be some of the chepest "name brand" strings about these days, but they're just great strings. I very rarely buy anything else.
[/quote]

I should probably add my action is about 2mm off of the last fret and, not through trying to, I attack them with a bit of muscle and still, no flob. :-P
I have to agree with you though. I've used pretty much all, bar DR Handmade when it comes to string brands. Used Warwick Black Label for years but they dull so damn quick. They are punchy but their Low-B sucks in comparison and it's tapered, which I normally like.

D'addario Pro Steels don't cost much yet they stay in tune, last about a month before I drop them in the meth bath to revive the tone and I've never broken one.
However they don't have enough options for 35" scale players. Their "Super long scale" sets are limited in gauge and single strings are 34", so I can't even buy a tapered low-B.
My 6-string set adds a .30 but I did quite like Warwick's .25
I'd really like them .40 .60 .80 .100 .130 though. I don't like too much tension because to me it reduces the tonal voicing and a low-B has enough bass, it needs clarity too.
I'd tune that gauge down as far as D-standard (A-standard with 5-string)... I'd still only add .5 to the set to detune to C#-standard (with a low G#)...even then, it's bass depending.

Yeah...this is a topic I could discuss all day lol. But so far, D'addario Pro Steel...7 years running and they never let me down. Before then Elite's were my main choice...Those are awesome as well! Just don't try putting them on a 35" scale, they don't fit any of mine. :-/

Strings I CANNOT get along with though; Rotosound.
Apparently the players choice...#1 in the "rock and metal" world etc etc...I don't see why. Snapped two G-strings merely by playing and they just sound duff to me. Also, and this is silly, but I don't like silk windings either. Plus, as I bathe them in meths once a month, the windings discolour and come off anyway. X-D
Conklin strings however, the silk windings are purple, same as the meths, and seem unaffected.
I had two strings by them: .150 and .195 gauge...armoured cable! X-D

Edited by Kongo

Dean Markley Mistfits [Skullbusters]
46/66/86/106/135 on my fretted and fretless.

Although i have a high tight action they still sing out well, and they are still good on the old slap thing when needed.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

Both my 5s are 35" scale and I use a 40, 60, 80, 100 set of D'Addario's - either XLs or ProSteels. I used to use the 130 B strings that came with them but Mark @ Bass Direct (yes, him again!) turned me onto a taper-core 125 from R Cocco. This has evened out the response and I'm sold on this now.

On my 34" scale 4s, I use one gauge up for fretted (45 - 105) and one down for fretless (40-95). If I were to get a 34" scale 5, I'd use these plus the B string above. This, of course is pure speculation as I don't have one right now. YMMV, as they say.

[quote name='Kongo' timestamp='1340471871' post='1705019']

I should probably add my action is about 2mm off of the last fret and, not through trying to, I attack them with a bit of muscle and still, no flob. :-P
I have to agree with you though. I've used pretty much all, bar DR Handmade when it comes to string brands. Used Warwick Black Label for years but they dull so damn quick. They are punchy but their Low-B sucks in comparison and it's tapered, which I normally like.

D'addario Pro Steels don't cost much yet they stay in tune, last about a month before I drop them in the meth bath to revive the tone and I've never broken one.
However they don't have enough options for 35" scale players. Their "Super long scale" sets are limited in gauge and single strings are 34", so I can't even buy a tapered low-B.
My 6-string set adds a .30 but I did quite like Warwick's .25
I'd really like them .40 .60 .80 .100 .130 though. I don't like too much tension because to me it reduces the tonal voicing and a low-B has enough bass, it needs clarity too.
I'd tune that gauge down as far as D-standard (A-standard with 5-string)... I'd still only add .5 to the set to detune to C#-standard (with a low G#)...even then, it's bass depending.

Yeah...this is a topic I could discuss all day lol. But so far, D'addario Pro Steel...7 years running and they never let me down. Before then Elite's were my main choice...Those are awesome as well! Just don't try putting them on a 35" scale, they don't fit any of mine. :-/

Strings I CANNOT get along with though; Rotosound.
Apparently the players choice...#1 in the "rock and metal" world etc etc...I don't see why. Snapped two G-strings merely by playing and they just sound duff to me. Also, and this is silly, but I don't like silk windings either. Plus, as I bathe them in meths once a month, the windings discolour and come off anyway. X-D
Conklin strings however, the silk windings are purple, same as the meths, and seem unaffected.
I had two strings by them: .150 and .195 gauge...armoured cable! X-D
[/quote]

Interesting stuff.....!

Is your 5er strung through the body or something? I used standard long scale D'addario Prosteels on my TRB (35" scale) and they fitted fine. In fact, if you check D'addario's website they state that their long scale are suitable for a string scale length of up to 36.25"!

Think I may get on stringbusters.com in a minute and order some of those .040" - .125" and give them a go. I'm sure I've wasted £20 on worse things!

I have DR Marcus Miller fatbeams on my Stingray 5 - 125,105,85,65,45
and EB Cobalt Slinkies on my Bongo 5 - 130,100,80,65,45

I would prefer a 125 on the Bongo but they don't yet make a cobalt string in that guage.

I've found Musicman basses get the best sound balance across strings using 100,80,65,45 (on 4 string)

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1340483343' post='1705201']
Interesting stuff.....!

Is your 5er strung through the body or something? I used standard long scale D'addario Prosteels on my TRB (35" scale) and they fitted fine. In fact, if you check D'addario's website they state that their long scale are suitable for a string scale length of up to 36.25"!

Think I may get on stringbusters.com in a minute and order some of those .040" - .125" and give them a go. I'm sure I've wasted £20 on worse things!
[/quote]

Nope, through bridge. Yamaha TRB6II, so 35" scale. The taper towards the headstock falls shy of the nut. :-/

[quote name='Kongo' timestamp='1340582576' post='1706692']
Nope, through bridge. Yamaha TRB6II, so 35" scale. The taper towards the headstock falls shy of the nut. :-/
[/quote]

Ah yes, that rings a bell.....! I've got a feeling that with my last TRB1005, the winding used to finish JUST on the right side of the nut.

40-100 + 125 on 34" and 35" scale basses. I use Elites which never seem to get much of a mention. I've used 40-100 for pretty much all my 4-string playing life so it was logical to just put a pretty much matching low B on.

I prefer 40, 60, 80, 100, 120 gauges on my beloved DR or R.Cocco strings. This gauge-alteration feels good to me because I didn´t dig the superfat step between 100 and 130.

All my fivestrings have a 34" scale and I´m doing no drop-tuning, which requires heavier gauges.

I recently bought a second hand SR505 which came with the factory fitted elixirs 45- 130, which I really didn't like the tone or feel of - they sort of sounded hollow, like a whole chunk of the midrange was missing or something.

I then tried some elites 40 - 125 guage, these having being my string of choice on my headless 4 string for the last 20 odd years. These were better, but a bit flabby compared to the elite dbe sets and I wasn't totally happy with the B string...

I'm currently trying my own hybrid guage of d'addario XL singles - 40, 60, 85, 105, 125. This gives me a nice snappy, easily pluckable top end with a really solid well rounded bottom end, and the instrument sounds much better than it did with the elites.I may end up dropping the E/A down to 80/100 for resons of economy, as I can then buy the EADG strings as a set, rather than buying singles. But at the moment I'm a happy bunny with these, and the B string is loads better without being too heavy.

Thought I might try something new, so I've just bought a set of La Bella HRS from Stringbusters. 45 - 135s. Never used them before, but the price was good so thought I would take a punt!

Edited by Conan

Recently strung my Viger Arpege with the DR DDTs heavy gauge which is 55-135. It works fine for tuning a whole tone down. I would have thought that they would have at least had a 140 or more for B, but the 135 works fine for A though, which is as low as I need. Still the 55 and 75 are fairly tight at F and C respectively but eminently usable. Personally I think something like 50 - 70 - 95 - 115 - 140 would have been a lot more balanced but I have found it difficult to source many five string sets with anything bigger than a 105 on the E string. I might stick with the DRs as the tone is way better than what I was using (even when I was tuned to standard), but the cost is seriously offputting.

Before that I was pretty much a 45 -130, with it usually being Rotosound or Ernie Ball.

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1340654273' post='1707717']
Recently strung my Viger Arpege with the DR DDTs heavy gauge which is 55-135. It works fine for tuning a whole tone down. I would have thought that they would have at least had a 140 or more for B, but the 135 works fine for A though, which is as low as I need. Still the 55 and 75 are fairly tight at F and C respectively but eminently usable. Personally I think something like 50 - 70 - 95 - 115 - 140 would have been a lot more balanced but I have found it difficult to source many five string sets with anything bigger than a 105 on the E string. I might stick with the DRs as the tone is way better than what I was using (even when I was tuned to standard), but the cost is seriously offputting.

Before that I was pretty much a 45 -130, with it usually being Rotosound or Ernie Ball.
[/quote]

Although it costs a slight bit more, I'd buy a 4-string set in the heavy gauge with the .110 and then add a low-B to it. It's what I did back in the "armour cable" days. X-D

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1340654273' post='1707717']

[/quote]

I got Newtone to make me a custom balanced set for my bass in A. The bottom string is a .152! They would probably work out a lot cheaper than DR's too so theyre definitely worth a go :)

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1340761002' post='1709335']
I got Newtone to make me a custom balanced set for my bass in A. The bottom string is a .152! They would probably work out a lot cheaper than DR's too so theyre definitely worth a go :)
[/quote]

I have been tempted to try the Newtone route for a while, but I got a £30 gift voucher for Amazon, and thought I could justify paying £10 or so for the DRs. I wanted to try them for over a year, but I didn't want to spend £40 to try out strings that would require me alter the nut of my bass. it was now or never.

I'm fairly damn happy with the Drs apart from the cost. I'm just going to wait to see how my latest bands fare before I would alter the bass even further by putting on a 150 B string.

Well, my new strings arrived today; Rotosound SM665 .040", .060", .0.80", .100", .125". I usually always buy D'addario Prosteels, but I didn't fancy the .075" and .095" A and E strings. I quickly whacked them on in 5 minutes before band practice tonight, and wow! what a difference! Of course they're a different brand so it's hard to make a direct comparison, but they felt much easier under both hands but especially my left hand. I could play with a much lighter touch and didn't get any aching in my left hand, which I sometimes get after a 3 hour rehearsal. There didn't really seem to be any flappiness or buzzing, which I was expecting a little of, and the low B was much better IMO because it had much more definition and presence. I was impressed that there didn't They sounded spot on to me too, less of a big bottom end boom, and much more of a punchy, growly midrange. My bass certainly seemed to sit better in the mix tonight, and cut through amazingly without overpowering everything else. Amazing what difference a set of strings can make! I just wish I'd had them on last week when we recorded, instead of the heavier gauge D'addarios. I can see myself going back in to re-do the bass parts....... :angry:

I'm sold! Dunno what to do with the D'addarios though? They only did a 2 hour studio session last week, but obviously I cut them to fit my bass (3+2 headstock), so I can't really sell them......