Why become a member? ×

"Real bass players don't use picks"

EdwardHimself

[quote name='phil.i.stein' timestamp='1340133708' post='1699798']
[size=5][b]buy this man's LP ^^^^^^^ ![/b][/size]

i just did. it kills. :)

[url="http://alphamaleteaparty.bandcamp.com/"]http://alphamaleteaparty.bandcamp.com/[/url]
[/quote]

+1

played some of the tracks from the site and am now awaiting the CD

..although I was less than impressed by the confirmatory email: [i]If you haven’t [b]gotten[/b] your download already...[/i]

ugh. What's wrong with "received" ? :P

[quote name='phil.i.stein' timestamp='1340133708' post='1699798']
[size=5][b]buy this man's LP ^^^^^^^ ![/b][/size]

i just did. it kills. :)

[url="http://alphamaleteaparty.bandcamp.com/"]http://alphamaleteaparty.bandcamp.com/[/url]
[/quote]
[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1340201200' post='1700934']
+1

played some of the tracks from the site and am now awaiting the CD

..although I was less than impressed by the confirmatory email: [i]If you haven’t [b]gotten[/b] your download already...[/i]

ugh. What's wrong with "received" ? :P
[/quote]
Thanks very much fellas!
Bandcamp are responsible for the "gotten", not us!
Anyway, I've just got(ten) back from a short break this afternoon and gone straight in to work so I'll get them in the post tomorrow morning for you.
(I've wanted to put a link up for BCers to hear my band since we finished the album in April but wasnt sure exactly where to put it. If I were to post in the Recording section I wouldn't want it to be misconstrued as me merely trying to flog some albums ;) )

Back on topic though, the album does contain both finger and pick playing...

Dan :)

Edited by D-L-B

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1340102563' post='1699003']
All I can say is that from the comments I've seen here, some of you must have to put up with some real sorry excuses for "musicians".

Never in the 35+ years that I've been playing in bands have I come across any of these small-minded prejudices form my various fellow band members. Occasionally, I hear stuff from people in other bands, and then I'm thankful that I'm in the band that I'm in and not in a band with them.

Remember these idiots only exist outside of their bedrooms because other musicians put up with them.
[/quote]

A big, fat, +1 to that. Anyone who thinks there is a "right" way to play bass is an idiot.

Anyway, *real* bass players use bows ;-)

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1340403468' post='1704231']
A group of us should start playing electric bass with a bow, that would upset some people :D
[/quote]
I have a Violin bow that I keep meaning to try but never get around to, I might get it out tomorrow and see what kind of noise I can make with it.

And Bass players who use a pick are awesome.

To pick or not to pick, that is the plectrum.
Like others on this thread, I struggle to use the things. But, I saw Dr Feelgood a few years ago and Phil Mitchell was using one and I thought he usually played fingerstyle. Chatting to him afterwards, it turned out earlier that day he'd cut a finger doing some DIY at home, so had to use the pick. Absolutely took nothing away from the sound. If that had been me at the time, I couldn't have played. Now I know that British Rn B is perhaps not the most technical musical form in the Bassoshere, BUT, a pro is pro. Phil taught me a bigger lesson that night than any instructional video - adapt and overcome.

Blessings.

Yes it's a daft argument, anybody who sounds good counts as a 'real' bass player. Some also think you are not 'worthy' if you can't play slap, or choose not to. It's amazing how much more respect you get when you do learn to play slap, I find that when trying gear in a music shop, how seriously I am taken increases tenfold if I play some slap, which is annoying as I would rather test out the equipment playing the style I will normally be playing! Great music doesn't have to be technically flash, it has to convey an attitude, make people feel something, do that even with a one note line and you are winning.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1340451694' post='1704588']
I'll just stick to hammering out 32nds at 360 bpm with a plectra.[/quote]

[PEDANTRY] I think you'll find that's [i]plectrum[/i]. :P :D

To prevent further confusion: [i]plectra [/i]is plural, [i]plectrum [/i]is singular.

[/PEDANTRY]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1340452140' post='1704592']
[PEDANTRY] I think you'll find that's [i]plectrum[/i]. :P :D

To prevent further confusion: [i]plectra [/i]is plural, [i]plectrum [/i]is singular.

[/PEDANTRY]
[/quote]
Ah come on , your not telling me you can't use at least 2 plectra at the same time ?

you must have small hands , maybe Spike could do 64ths at 720 bps with a bit of practice

[quote name='Dingo' timestamp='1340437527' post='1704373']
Like others on this thread, I struggle to use the things. But, I saw Dr Feelgood a few years ago and Phil Mitchell was using one and I thought he usually played fingerstyle. Chatting to him afterwards, it turned out earlier that day he'd cut a finger doing some DIY at home, so had to use the pick. Absolutely took nothing away from the sound. If that had been me at the time, I couldn't have played. Now I know that British Rn B is perhaps not the most technical musical form in the Bassoshere, BUT, a pro is pro. Phil taught me a bigger lesson that night than any instructional video - adapt and overcome.

Blessings.
[/quote]

I reckon Phil Mitchel is a very underrated Bass Player. You read all this technical twaddle on here, but he has the thing that nobody ever seems to mention - A great feel for Bass. Thats the other thing that you dont get from lessons, or do you ?

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1340453260' post='1704607']
Ah come on , your not telling me you can't use at least 2 plectra at the same time ?

you must have small hands , maybe Spike could do 64ths at 720 bps with a bit of practice
[/quote]

Easily,but the drummer would never keep up....... :hi:

..Phil Mitchell was using one and I thought he usually played fingerstyle. Chatting to him afterwards, it turned out earlier that day he'd cut a finger doing some DIY at home, so had to use the pick...
[/quote]

that's some complicated DIY job .. :blink:

[attachment=111217:phil.jpg]

i also didn't know he was a 'lefty' :D

Edited by phil.i.stein

I used a pick in my absolute beginner days because I used to use my thumb and a guitarist gave me a pick...so I used it. Phil Lynott and Lemmy used to thrash their hand about and I could never fathom Steve Harris at the time when I was routed in such music so...I used a pick.
it was ploddy though and then my friend showed me that bassists also use fingers...So I went from there and instantly look to it.
Been a fingers guy for 9 1/2 years now.
Way I see it I can't drop my fingers like I can a pick and it's get in the way as I change what I do all the time, from standard to classical finger picking, flamenco strums, slapping, tapping etc...A pick would get in the way for me.

HOWEVER! I do not see a player who uses a pick as being inferior. One of my best friends does and like I say to him when he comments "Yeah but I can't use a pic"...fact, I fail at using a pick. Sometimes I think, it might be wise for some songs where the player does and uses it's advantages but...That's not often enough to warrant practise time.

Blessings.
[/quote]
This is the reason I started playing with a pick in the first place. Being a 13 year old kid that loved nothing more than climbing about in trees or quarries, I always seemed to have a plaster on my right hand playing fingers, so I gave a pick a go so I didn't have to stop playing and it stuck. I play pretty exclusively with a pick and have done for over 20 years.
The only thing I found difficult to play with a pick when I first started was slow Blues stuff, but, being a Metal Head, it didn't bother me too much, and I can play it just fine now. I have recently, over the last 6 months or so, started to Slap a bit, but, oddly, I find it easier to do it using my middle finger to pluck, with my pick in my curled up index finger, than I do using my index finger to pluck.