Why become a member? ×

Big gig - sore throat - HELP

The Dark Lord

I have my first paid gig with my new band tomorrow in a pub in Chichester, We're down to do 2 x 45 minute sets.

Trouble is, I have come down with a cold/virus/bug and my voice is very hoarse and croaky.

Of the 25 songs were doing, I sing lead vocals on five of them - and harmonies on about another dozen of them.

One of the songs is in D - which is a bit of a stretch for me, even when I'm tip-top.

I'm getting better, but does anyone have any tips for coping with cold / sore throats when you have to sing?

Gargle warm salt water, then lots of hot drinks and lozenges. AVOID cold drinks completely. Have a flask of hot drink nearby at the gig, and if you don't have to drive, a couple or three of whiskys work wonders too.

You'll probably find that on the night your throat will loosen up a bit during the gig, but you'll pay for it the next day.

I always sound like that anyway. Used to have a singer who swore by that aniseed stuff tht has sticks in the bottle, cant remember what its called, bet somebody on here will know.

Dunno if he gargled with it or just knocked it back. Sore throat or not, he was always pissed anyway.

Tried gargling with crushed aspirin in water ?

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1339752461' post='1693651']
Um, whiskey will dehydrate your throat and make it worse.
[/quote]

Indeed, but during the gig itself, not on the days running up to it, it's not a problem. Plus you won't care if it's a problem or not once you've drunk it :) .

I've found that most "remedies" are based around making you more comfortable, so that you're less likely to tighten and strain your vocal chords and emit the dreaded squeak. Find what works for you, but try to make things as easy for yourself on the night as possible, e.g:

Try not to talk, and rest up as much as possible during the day.

When it comes to the gig, do a longer than usual warm up, really take your time trying not to overdo it. then when it comes to the gig you can give it your best.

If possible, consider doling out some of your vocal duties to the other guys. I'd be saving myself for the big song in D (gonna assume that changing the key is not an option?). If your band mates are understanding they may try and rejig the set so that you get appropriate resting time. In my opinion, there is no shame in saying up front that you're suffering, but you'll try to do your best. They might be quite forgiving.

As long as you're not asthmatic or have a bad stomach, dissolve two 300mg aspirins in water, gargle and swallow. Also try steaming - get some nearly boiling water and inhale the vapours for a while, that'll soothe your larynx. Lots of water, honey and lemon, no talking. You'll probably be able to get through it, but you'll suffer afterwards! The sensible thing to do is not sing, some way or another...

[quote name='bassmachine2112' timestamp='1339834364' post='1695010']
Don,t force it,I ended up with nodes on my vocal chords-not clever.
[/quote]

Sorry to read that.
Ignorant questions:
Does that then mean you can't sing, or that your voice is worse than before?
Does one get them by generally forcing the voice, or specifically when one has a cold or similar? Or both?

Ribena made strong with hot water - always works for me. It's so viscous it sort of fills the cracks up! On occassion I've been known to dribble a few drops of TCP in it.

One thing - no offence intended etc - you say it's your first gig with a new band. Nerves can affect folk in funny ways and I know of two singers who tend to get sore throats when they've important gigs coming up. Just a thought.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1339855992' post='1695467']
Ribena made strong with hot water - always works for me. It's so viscous it sort of fills the cracks up! On occassion I've been known to dribble a few drops of TCP in it.

One thing - no offence intended etc - you say it's your first gig with a new band. Nerves can affect folk in funny ways and I know of two singers who tend to get sore throats when they've important gigs coming up. Just a thought.
[/quote]
Maybe nerves were a part of the onset of my sore throat ... although it did come with a full-on heavy cold (hot, shivery, sweaty etc).

I'm quite a time-served band geezer - but there are always a few first night nerves with a new band. Makes it fun.

Just over three hours to go before we kick off. I have heeded all of the above, I have rested my voice, kept off the booze, got some medication and will warm up my voice before the off. I am on the mend, not 100%, but confident enough that I'll get through it ... and a band-mate will make apologies before my voal rendition of I Only Wanna Be With You in the key of D.

Edited by The Dark Lord