Why become a member? ×

Bass player frontperson (first gig report post 65)

rOB

you can learn to be a frontman.
You've learned to play bass and you've learned the songs, so now learn to be at the front.
Personally I am a quiet and fairly shy person, (people often call me aloof because I shy away from people and don't talk to them between sets or whatever)
but give me an audience and a gig, (albeit as a singer, guitarist, bassist or any combination) and I change personality. Of course it's easier if the gig is going well but
when you're playing to one man and his dog at the frog and bucket and it's only the dog that's interested in you that can make it a little tougher!!

to give an example that is fairly different from others that have been said, Tyson Ritter from The All-American Rejects does a very good job combining bassist and frontman. sure, his basslines aren't the most complex things, but they do have melodic variations and fills while he is singing, and he is good at engaging with an audience.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1339661670' post='1692033']
I know this is going to sound bad but I've always thought PL was over-rated due to his early death, Thin Lizzy were average at best.

Fat Mike on the other hand.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwGJ0EHdXDc&feature=related[/media]
[/quote]

I think it could certainly be argued that Philo had limitations as a bass player, but as a far as his song writing capabilities go, he was right up there. Early death may have created a bit of cult status, but IMO it's warranted due to the truckload of quality material Lizzy created.

Do you need to force it ?

If you just do whatever is natural to you, you will relax more than if you are trying to focus on the non musical side of your performance (along with already doing 2 of those)

Ok, it might not work, but you just may find that you will have something that you could not have invented with thought, and isnt contrived.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1339608774' post='1691471']
Greatest bass player frontman ever[/quote]
[quote name='pobrien_ie' timestamp='1339660738' post='1692018']
Already said a fair few times, but Philo has to be the standard by which all bass playing frontmen/women should be judged ;)[/quote]
They are both excellent at what they do. You could probably do worse than stealing stuff from both of them. ;)

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1339662909' post='1692053']
to give an example that is fairly different from others that have been said, Tyson Ritter from The All-American Rejects does a very good job combining bassist and frontman. sure, his basslines aren't the most complex things, but they do have melodic variations and fills while he is singing, and he is good at engaging with an audience.[/quote]
I'll look him up. Thanks.

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1339655935' post='1691951']
you can learn to be a frontman.
You've learned to play bass and you've learned the songs, so now learn to be at the front.
Personally I am a quiet and fairly shy person, (people often call me aloof because I shy away from people and don't talk to them between sets or whatever)
but give me an audience and a gig, (albeit as a singer, guitarist, bassist or any combination) and I change personality. Of course it's easier if the gig is going well but when you're playing to one man and his dog at the frog and bucket and it's only the dog that's interested in you that can make it a little tougher!!
[/quote]
Thanks for the encouragement. I reckon it's something that can at least be improved on. Perhaps the ideal is finding a way to demonstrate your own personality through the performance?

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1339699779' post='1693041']
Do you need to force it ?
If you just do whatever is natural to you, you will relax more than if you are trying to focus on the non musical side of your performance (along with already doing 2 of those)
Ok, it might not work, but you just may find that you will have something that you could not have invented with thought, and isnt contrived.[/quote]
Sounds sensible, the last thing you'd want is to come over as faking it.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1339593924' post='1691082']
I'll confess, from personal experience, finding the right front person is the hardest task. Not only do they need to be able to sing - but they need the banter and presence to carry a crowd.
[/quote]

Round here it is a very hard trick to be both a front man and a decent singer.
I can't think or anyone who is very good at both. Most of the best frontmen can't sing..but they can shout a song.
I think you can count the number of good singers on one hand..and I've seen more that a few bands of late.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1339845829' post='1695266']
Go for it mate. I wouldn't worry too much about being "tied to the mic". My band currently has the problem that I am the best vocalist- and I play drums! At least you've got a bit more flexibility as to what you're doing on stage than having to sit on a drum throne at the back!
[/quote]
Thanks EH!

I'd agree with all the Lynott lovers - just born to do it, and the quintessential rock star, but for a different take, how about the hugely underated band with a criminally underated songwriter/singer/bass player.

Del Amitri - fantastic live : Justin Currie - still touring, and a consumate musician/writer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkL3Wogl4bI

ive been doing this for my band, takes some getting used to but once you crack it its awesome.

its all about confidence at the end of the day, once you hit that groove where your confidence agrees with you, you are set

the hardest thing to get used to for me was being tethered to a mic, im the kinda bassist who runs about a lot when im just playing bass, so that was hard

go for it :D

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1339883868' post='1695991']
I'd agree with all the Lynott lovers - just born to do it, and the quintessential rock star, but for a different take, how about the hugely underated band with a criminally underated songwriter/singer/bass player.

Del Amitri - fantastic live : Justin Currie - still touring, and a consumate musician/writer.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkL3Wogl4bI[/media]
[/quote]

Yes agreed - don;t know why JC didn;t come to mind?
Great sideburns too!!

Don't want to go too much against the flow, but....... if your vox or front person skills aren't upto it then
you will only handicap the band.

I see way too many 3 piece bands handing out the vox as it maximises income, but it also kills the band if the guy can't carry it off..and since
lead vox are the single most important thing people can connect to, IMO, it isn't a job done lightly.