Why become a member? ×

Ok... Your top 10 Bassists of all time?

bassickman

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1339699316' post='1693021']
I think we should have a bassist of the month thread, within that thread only posts about the current bassist can be made, comments, views, links etc.

Have the big names in their such as Jamerson, and less know players who have done great work in the background

Over time it will introduce as all to some we dont know, and inform us of those we do .....

Not sure who gets to choose each time, but if I dont get heckled for suggesting this or ignored, Ill start it up and devise a system for having different members naming the playing each time.
[/quote]
Thats a great idea!

Heres mine. I love bassists that when you watch them they make it seem so effortless.

My top 7.

Nathan Watts
Paul Turner
John Parker
Stuart Zender

Bernard Edwards
James Jamerson
Anthony Jackson

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1339699316' post='1693021']
I think we should have a bassist of the month thread[/quote]

Oooohw! That's beautiful, if we can pull it off. How about starting that thread right away, but for the time being just to air some thoughts on it? I think it should be interesting to many groups, from noob to unnoob, and that requires some good ideas, I think.

[size=4]Barry Adamson
Steve Jameson (World Domination Enterprises)
Jah Wobble
Lothar Meid ([color=#000000][font=sans-serif]Amon Düül II)[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=sans-serif]George Murray[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=sans-serif]Norman Watt-Roy[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=sans-serif]Nathan Watts[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=sans-serif]Max Bennett[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=sans-serif]Jack Bruce[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=sans-serif]James Jamerson[/font][/color][/size]

[color=#000000][font=sans-serif][size=3](plus loads from everyone else's lists :)[/size][/font][/color]

Edited by Kevsy71

James Jamerson
Paul McCartney
Norman Watt-Roy
Graham Maby
Keith Richards (all my fav Stones Basslines seem to have Keith on Bass)
John Deacon
Bernard Edwards
'Duck' Dunn
Larry Knechtel (or until recently as i knew him "the bloke on bass on the Bridge Over troubled Water album")
Bob Babbit

oh and about 3 dozen others :)

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1339690213' post='1692828']
My point really was I don't see the point of a load of bassists all listing a load of names, that they either like or don't like - or heard of or not heard of, for that matter.[/quote]

OK. I hadn't understood that. You went over my head with that one, English being a foreign language for me.

I'd like to look at this somewhat more positively:
While the thread idea in itself may seem somewhat unoriginal and uninspiring, suddenly a remark could turn up that could start something else.
In fact, my mentioning Ray Shulman resulted in you responding, and maybe someone else then gives him a listen.

I don't know most of the names mentioned here, but many names are repeated, and eventually I check them out.

Me mentioning unknown bassists (or not - I wouldn't know who is or isn't known) could also spark questions or whatever, all for the good of broadening the banter.

There are enough threads that do not interest me, or that I think are pointless. I just stay away then.

[quote name='sticker' timestamp='1339714461' post='1693373']
Larry Knechtel (or until recently as i knew him "the bloke on bass on the Bridge Over troubled Water album")[/quote]

Knechtel played piano on that album. Joe Osborn played bass. They were both members of the Hollywood session team know as 'The Wrecking Crew' along with Hal Blaine on drums. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1339719330' post='1693419']

Knechtel played piano on that album. Joe Osborn played bass. They were both members of the Hollywood session team know as 'The Wrecking Crew' along with Hal Blaine on drums. :)
[/quote]

ah ! yeah well , him then ! ;)

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1339718599' post='1693411']
In fact, my mentioning Ray Shulman resulted in you responding, and maybe someone else then gives him a listen.
[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/106388-ray-shulman-of-gentle-giant"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/106388-ray-shulman-of-gentle-giant[/url]

Always tough to pick 10 (certainly not all "virtuosos"" though, regardless). Here are 10 that spring to mind without too much thought (I'll keep it to electric bassists to avoid taxing my simple brain too much); there are plenty of others who could join this list:

Chris Squire
Lemmy
John Entwistle
Leigh "Leroy" Gorman of Bow Wow Wow - yes I do remember him and he's one of my absolute favourites. Never heard anyone else like him (although Flea sometimes appears to channel him and I know Flea's a fan of BWW). I love the band too! Going to see them for the second time in August (last time was '82 or '83, when poor old Matthew was still with us...)
Jean Jacques Burnel
Stanley Clarke
Richard Bona
Stuart Zender
John McVie
Rutger Gunnarson

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1339743272' post='1693495']
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/106388-ray-shulman-of-gentle-giant"]http://basschat.co.u...of-gentle-giant[/url]
[/quote]

Hm. That thread is from 2010 BC.
I'm confirmed in having to wonder where all of this is coming from and going to, and why.
I mentioned the name of a great bassist. You actively chose to respond in a positive way. Thus you contributed to the pointless thread, or affirmed my pointless post.

I'm here to learn and to enjoy. I hope to contribute so other people enjoy, and when I grow up, I hope to contribute so other people can learn.
Right now I feel the surveillance is getting slightly in the way, so my direct question to you is:

Do you have specific reasons for writing the way you do in this thread, or is this just a coincidence and not really wished for, or do I misinterpret?

Difficult decision but I have picked the 10 bassists that have influenced me the most and caused me to pick up the bass;

Flea
John Entwistle
Paul McCartney
Jack Bruce
Mark King
Ronnie Lane
James Jamerson
John Paul Jones
Jaco Pastorius
Mani

These guys really motivate me to become a better bassist and I love learning new songs which have these guys playing on!

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1339757729' post='1693778']
Hm. That thread is from 2010 BC.
I'm confirmed in having to wonder where all of this is coming from and going to, and why.
I mentioned the name of a great bassist. You actively chose to respond in a positive way. Thus you contributed to the pointless thread, or affirmed my pointless post.

I'm here to learn and to enjoy. I hope to contribute so other people enjoy, and when I grow up, I hope to contribute so other people can learn.
Right now I feel the surveillance is getting slightly in the way, so my direct question to you is:

Do you have specific reasons for writing the way you do in this thread, or is this just a coincidence and not really wished for, or do I misinterpret?
[/quote]
I thought I was merely having a conversation but I'll stop if it's disturbing you.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1339776302' post='1694240']
I thought I was merely having a conversation but I'll stop if it's disturbing you.[/quote]

Hm. That's not how I interpreted it, but I've been known to be wrong about stuff. If you indeed merely had a conversation, then please forgive me for not having understood.

Please just continue.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1339745653' post='1693524']
Always tough to pick 10 (certainly not all "virtuosos"" though, regardless). Here are 10 that spring to mind without too much thought (I'll keep it to electric bassists to avoid taxing my simple brain too much); there are plenty of others who could join this list:

Chris Squire
Lemmy
John Entwistle
Leigh "Leroy" Gorman of Bow Wow Wow - yes I do remember him and he's one of my absolute favourites. Never heard anyone else like him (although Flea sometimes appears to channel him and I know Flea's a fan of BWW). I love the band too! Going to see them for the second time in August (last time was '82 or '83, when poor old Matthew was still with us...)
Jean Jacques Burnel
Stanley Clarke
Richard Bona
Stuart Zender
John McVie
Rutger Gunnarson
[/quote]

I has no idea BWW were still going and I assume you mean Matthew Ashman. Has he passed away then? Shame. Where are they playing cos I might try to come if its not too far away. I always wondered why Leigh Gorman never achieved similar dizzy heights to folks like Tony Levin or Stanley Clarke or Victor Wooten or Marcus Miller etc. Even Adam Ant used to say he was the best bassist in the world and probably still does. Good call on JJ Burnel. He was my 1st bass hero.