Why become a member? ×

Punk Britannia basses

Beedster

[quote name='silentbob' timestamp='1339199422' post='1685399']
Surely punk is playing whatever bass you want and not giving a f@#k if it's the right one.
[/quote]
Ahhh you aint gettin into the spirit of things !
Even though you are right up to a point, it was actually 'playing whatever bass you could get' :D
Most players I knew around that time were more concerned with volume than tone ;)

Thing is, Sid had a black plate white P because that's what Dee Dee played.

As for Rics, well Matlock played one, so did Simmo for a while. And Hooky (faker?). And - of course - there was Foxton (faker to start with, then a real one, IIRC). Maybe there were more of them around in those days. Thing is, most of us couldn't tell the difference between one bass and another. You just took what you could [s]steal[/s] get.

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

Hooky used a Hondo II faker at one point and ANOther(s). Foxton used an Ibanez faker before progressing to real ones. But, from memory, it was mostly Rics and 'Rays. And, with Fenders, I'd have pinned the Mustang ahead of Precision.

Edited by noelk27

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1339204673' post='1685430']
Hmm, starting to think this programme should be retitled Power Pop Britannia.
[/quote]

It certainly stretched the definition of punk. Most of the acts themselves probably wouldn't have used the term to describe their music at the time or now.

And the Count Bishops were surely Showaddywaddy in very poor disguise?

Why is it so important that punk bands should have been using Fender Precisions?

Certainly my experience of going to gigs at that time was that they were no more common than any other design of bass and if you did spot someone with a P-bass it was more likely to say Grant or Columbus on the headstock than Fender. The two local punk(ish) bands had a Mosrite influenced Woolies Special bass and something home made that seemed to have inherited all the worst parts of Fender and Gibson designs.

Also as the decade progressed I saw less Fender designs being used. By the end of the 70s all the bassists with money to spend had an Aria Pro II or Ibanez. Those slightly less well of had second hand Gibson Grabbers and Rippers. The rest of us had whatever weird basses we could afford and generally the weirder the better - my impression was that having an instrument that wasn't the same as everyone else's was fairly important.

Did Ric's have the same cache then as they do now, and anyone old enough to know the price of a Ric in '76 compared to a P? The only thing I can think of is that Ric's or maybe Ric copies were far more common than Ps'. I read Paul Gray (Hot Rods and Damned) couldn't stick P's and preferred Guilds and Ric's. I also remember something about McLaren got the white P for Sid as part of the whole Rock n' Roll image.

How about this. most of the bands have just got a deal, got an advance and got on the telly for the first time, and do you know what, their fist choice was a Ric?

BTW, I thought John Cooper Clark knocked them all into a cocked hat

I got my first Rick for £270 brand new in midnight blue in 1979.,P was about £240.
I think it was midnight blue as it was almost jetglo at a distance.
Lovely colour.I,ve never seen one as dark as this since.
I think the reason was that nobody realy wanted them at the time.It was all Aria,Ibanez which were great instruments and cheap for what they were when compared to the big american stuff.
I remember the first Aria I saw and could not believe how good it was and the price was a revelation.Sqiers were another story.
Still got my Squier and Aria,build quality is superb and they still do the business.

[indent=1]Right then.Hooky used a Hondo,Foxton used an Ibanez (at first). Severin borrowed whatever the support band were using,(at first). JJB rarely took his own kit to TV and video shoots,hence the Jazz.There's Youtube footage of JJB using a Rickenbacker on a German TV show. I stood next to Gaye Advert once.She was all sweaty. Also Sid using a Rickenbacker at the start of The Great Rock and Roll Swindle.[/indent]

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1339292010' post='1686574']
When you say JJB do you mean jean jacques burnel ? Ive seen both of them punk progs but not a sniff of the god of bass (JJ) let alone playing a jazz and rick..
[/quote]

Yep JJB = Jean Jacques. Who's JJ?

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1339292010' post='1686574']
When you say JJB do you mean jean jacques burnel ? Ive seen both of them punk progs but not a sniff of the god of bass (JJ) let alone playing a jazz and rick..
[/quote]

Indeed.I don't recall seeing JJB on the Punk Brittania programmes either,but his name was brought up earlier.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1339319121' post='1686666']
Indeed.I don't recall seeing JJB on the Punk Brittania programmes either,but his name was brought up earlier.
[/quote]

Yeh, he was early on in the second programme (which may have been 'Punk at The BBC' or similar). Not sure what the post above about 'JJ' or his playing a Ric or Jazz is about at all :D