Why become a member? ×

Band Facebook Pages

LiamPodmore

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1360318625' post='1968436']
I'm afraid i think FB is the way it is. last year we did a number of original gigs and all the promoters were pushing the use of FB for promoting. It's basically gonna become SKYNET
[/quote]

Hit the nail on the head there.

The amount of shows i have played over the last couple of years where the promotor has only used facebook to promote the show is untrue. Sometimes they ring us up saying they may pull the gig because only a couple of people have clicked that they are going on the page! WTF!! Its almost like if you dont have a FB band page in this day, you will get nothing!

Facebook is just making people lazy and its a shame.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1360318625' post='1968436']
I'm afraid i think FB is the way it is. last year we did a number of original gigs and all the promoters were pushing the use of FB for promoting. It's basically gonna become SKYNET
[/quote]

You're not wrong, but it's do it or get nowt.
Most of the festival bookers this year are after facebook and soundcloud links, and that's about it. :(

[quote name='longtimefred' timestamp='1360278664' post='1968151']
I don't mean to de rail the thread or anything but I have an opinion of Facebook band pages that might be worth discussion. If a mod feels this might be a better thing to do separately then cool.

I remember a time before social media when bands used to have to set up their own pages online. I liked this as when looking at how it was designed, the artwork that has been used on it and the overall feel of the site kind of displayed how the band want to be portrayed (if that makes sense). You could delve into the world of that band as it used to be cool to have as much info about them as possible for people to get their chops into. From what gear they use to photos, videos, discographies, lyrics, forums etc etc.

Then MySpace came along as the new way of connecting fans/industry/venues etc directly to the band all in one place. Again I thought this was cool as you could re design your page to how you like it ( I had my bands one set up exactly the same as our full proper site so it was like an extension).

Then Facebook appeared, slaughtering MySpace and now all bands seem to be on there instead. Here comes my issue (finally). I really dislike Facebook for basically turning all our bands into a catalog of bland looking pages that all look the same, and gives no feel of the bands image in the way of the old independent sites did. You have to put your band's info in all the same places as everyone else and nothing looks different from one page to the next bar the photograph. Has it now come to a time where your entire band presence has to fit one tiny page on the Internet? Do people loose interest if its over that amount as that's what Facebook are telling you that's all you need? Am I just out of fashion? Does anyone care? Lol

I find it quite sad if this is the case as I used to love going into these band 'worlds' and spend time geeking out on what they have to offer. Even now major pro bands are starting to just have a nice fancy landing page when you on their .com site and all it does is link you to a bloomin Facebook!

I hope it's not just me that finds this annoying.
[/quote]

Nope, me too. I'm on FB these days, but I did perfectly well without it for years. I only joined when a couple of other musicians pointed out that it was a good way to keep in touch with the myriad other musicians that I was meeting at the time - a little less "forward" than giving someone a business card or a phone number, if you will.

The fact remains, you may be reassured to know, that most bands realise their own website is the way to go. Their own little space with which they can do what they please, and design to reflect the band's character. Increasingly, with the way FB is restricting your band's ability to share information unless you pay them, the FB pages are becoming more a way for the band to show off to their friends. The one key use it still has is for people to look up your band, get a bit of general info and maybe follow it if they're interested. A bit less forward than signing up to your band's mailing list, if you will.

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1360318003' post='1968415']
I dont .

People wh do, and who rabbit on about their facebook 'lives' posting personal information, thinking the world is interesed in their holiday snaps, and bragging about their 700 friends, 699 of whom they never actually met, need to step back and take a look

Only my opinion mind, your welcome to do as you please.
[/quote]

I agree with you, narcissistic the lot of them. I don't have a FB page, but i do have a band FB and it does help a lot when it comes down to gigs!

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1360275570' post='1968100']
I will try to find time to listen to some and i will not put a link up to my own until i feel i have listened to enough.

Also, silldx, i've had a listen to a bit of Kit Richardsons stuff recently. I remember a post you put about going for it this year. I'm afraid a thing that i think may work against you is........................that maybe it's a little too good! If ya know what i mean!
[/quote]

:lol: Not sure what to make of that, but thank you, that's a very lovely compliment! I do think people can accept music with integrity that's not dumbed down, Everything Everything's success gives me great confidence in that. Cheers!

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1360415832' post='1969988']
:lol: Not sure what to make of that, but thank you, that's a very lovely compliment! I do think people can accept music with integrity that's not dumbed down, Everything Everything's success gives me great confidence in that. Cheers!
[/quote]I only say it as most things i think are terrible are really successful whereas things i like aren't. To be fair i've only heard a couple of things a couple of times but really liked them. Good Luck!

I've got an FB Page for Musicians in general but the back story is my old band reforming after 30 years. You're all welcome to post links, hit the 'Like' and 'Share' buttons. over 320 folks on there so far, must be doing something right! :-) I'm going to go through all the Pages posted on here and 'Like' em all, share and share alike.
Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/CfeWorldWideMusic

[quote name='paulpirie8' timestamp='1360678132' post='1974427']
We seem to have had a surge in people giving our page a "like" because of this thread! Thanks to all that have and to the OP for starting the thread!

Paul
[/quote]

Yes, Kit has too, and she posted a thank you :) [url="https://www.facebook.com/kitrichardsonmusic?ref=ts&fref=ts"]https://www.facebook.com/kitrichardsonmusic?ref=ts&fref=ts[/url]

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1360675953' post='1974346']Ridiculous the amount of red-faced people talking about Facebook in the 'I don't normally do this sort of thing' manner.[/quote]

Well we are talking about banned Facebook pages, right?

Like the one I used to host featuring videos of an octopus, a bucket of KY Jelly and a bus full of nuns... ah, wrong sort of 'banned'. I'll get me coat :blush:

[quote name='coachcbg' timestamp='1360622934' post='1973739']
I've got an FB Page for Musicians in general but the back story is my old band reforming after 30 years. You're all welcome to post links, hit the 'Like' and 'Share' buttons. over 320 folks on there so far, must be doing something right! :-) I'm going to go through all the Pages posted on here and 'Like' em all, share and share alike.
Here's the link: [url="https://www.facebook.com/CfeWorldWideMusic"]https://www.facebook...eWorldWideMusic[/url]
[/quote]
A little postscript on the power of this stuff...... over the last year or so I've been dabbling in 'the dark side', yes, I've been getting guitar lessons (I know, but I really love my Gretsch and want to do it better justice!) and my teacher (Jonny Scaramanga) has a band. By promoting his stuff and engaging the people who follow my Page (amongst others) he's just won a slot at the 'Swedenrock' festival this year! He'll be playing along side the likes of Kiss, Rush, Iron Maiden, Europe et al! And he got there because of Facebook! It's really powerful s@"t guys.... Check out the 'Page' (signature) and see for yourselves. I'm not a promoter or management or anything else, and I get nothing from this (apart from a few more 'Likes' on my Page), I just thought I'd help out..... He's now playing a huge European Rock Festival, are you? So, yes this stuff works and the more we get friendly and cross promote everyone's stuff the better! Here's the link the the festival for those that are interested:http://www.swedenrock.com/index.cfm?lg=2&pg=82 and everyone else; check out the Page. you'll probably find I've already 'Liked' you and am exposing your music to the masses as we speak.

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1360325505' post='1968586']
Nope, me too. I'm on FB these days, but I did perfectly well without it for years. I only joined when a couple of other musicians pointed out that it was a good way to keep in touch with the myriad other musicians that I was meeting at the time - a little less "forward" than giving someone a business card or a phone number, if you will.

The fact remains, you may be reassured to know, that most bands realise their own website is the way to go. Their own little space with which they can do what they please, and design to reflect the band's character. Increasingly, with the way FB is restricting your band's ability to share information unless you pay them, the FB pages are becoming more a way for the band to show off to their friends. The one key use it still has is for people to look up your band, get a bit of general info and maybe follow it if they're interested. A bit less forward than signing up to your band's mailing list, if you will.
[/quote]
Wow! I completely understand the sentiment but hey, there is so much you can do now to populate your own space. I'm 47 (my 14 year old youngest daughter knows more about this stuff than I do!) but seriously, if you want it bad enough you find stuff out. Websites are old hat unless you know what you're doing, you need a 'Platform'. FB isn't about showing off if you have the right 'plugins', the right 'copy' and the right 'videos'. I just helped a mate get a spot on the: http://www.swedenrock.com/index.cfm?lg=2&pg=82 and that's through Facebook. No money changed hands, it wasn't devious record company politics. It was simply someone knowing what they were doing and leveraging it. Personally I think it's a massive shame that so much talent and skill goes unnoticed just because of a fear of technology! Get involved, learn: it's all free on Google and get your stuff out there. By the way 'MySpace' is dead......

[quote name='coachcbg' timestamp='1360705067' post='1975237']
Wow! I completely understand the sentiment but hey, there is so much you can do now to populate your own space. I'm 47 (my 14 year old youngest daughter knows more about this stuff than I do!) but seriously, if you want it bad enough you find stuff out. Websites are old hat unless you know what you're doing, you need a 'Platform'. FB isn't about showing off if you have the right 'plugins', the right 'copy' and the right 'videos'. I just helped a mate get a spot on the: [url="http://www.swedenrock.com/index.cfm?lg=2&pg=82"]http://www.swedenroc....cfm?lg=2&pg=82[/url] and that's through Facebook. No money changed hands, it wasn't devious record company politics. It was simply someone knowing what they were doing and leveraging it. Personally I think it's a massive shame that so much talent and skill goes unnoticed just because of a fear of technology! Get involved, learn: it's all free on Google and get your stuff out there. By the way 'MySpace' is dead......
[/quote]

Top post man!