Why become a member? ×

Band Facebook Pages

LiamPodmore

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1360256655' post='1967566']
I've looked at some of these pages. Definitely need more pole dancing clown hookers but otherwise quite entertaining. Unless it's art.
[/quote]

Will this suffice for the moment?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szbt1gQGEas

Close enough as long as I keep the sound turned down ;)
Atually to get serious for a moment I thought it was interesting looking at the facebook pages as I am not signed up for facebook. Some of the pages still give lots of info and access to several pages while at the other end of the spectrum others are just blank pages. I assume it's possible to design facebook pages to show differing levels of info depending on whether the viewer is actually signed up to fb or not.

Edited by KevB

Good thread guys....... here's mine [url="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Moore-Lizzy/261751657176603#!/pages/Moore-Lizzy/261751657176603"]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Moore-Lizzy/261751657176603#!/pages/Moore-Lizzy/261751657176603[/url]

trib to Gary Moore/Phil Lynott for anyone thats interested. Any "likers" will get the favour returned if they so wish. regards. Ben

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1360258091' post='1967625']
Atually to get serious for a moment I thought it was interesting looking at the facebook pages as I am not signed up for facebook. Some of the pages still give lots of info and access to several pages while at the other end of the spectrum others are just blank pages. I assume it's possible to design facebook pages to show differing levels of info depending on whether the viewer is actually signed up to fb or not.
[/quote]

I'm hoping that ours allow reasonably full access to non-Facebook members. I can't see the point of not allowing the public access to your band Facebook page, especially since for a lot of bands it is their only presence on the web.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1360190100' post='1966599']
I went through the lot tonight, liked all of them and listened to most that had music. Some very good music on there.
[/quote]
[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1360236447' post='1967058']
I've checked a few out and had a few 'likes' as a result of posting my band's page up here - thanks chaps! :)
[/quote]I will try to find time to listen to some and i will not put a link up to my own until i feel i have listened to enough.

Also, silldx, i've had a listen to a bit of Kit Richardsons stuff recently. I remember a post you put about going for it this year. I'm afraid a thing that i think may work against you is........................that maybe it's a little too good! If ya know what i mean!

I don't mean to de rail the thread or anything but I have an opinion of Facebook band pages that might be worth discussion. If a mod feels this might be a better thing to do separately then cool.

I remember a time before social media when bands used to have to set up their own pages online. I liked this as when looking at how it was designed, the artwork that has been used on it and the overall feel of the site kind of displayed how the band want to be portrayed (if that makes sense). You could delve into the world of that band as it used to be cool to have as much info about them as possible for people to get their chops into. From what gear they use to photos, videos, discographies, lyrics, forums etc etc.

Then MySpace came along as the new way of connecting fans/industry/venues etc directly to the band all in one place. Again I thought this was cool as you could re design your page to how you like it ( I had my bands one set up exactly the same as our full proper site so it was like an extension).

Then Facebook appeared, slaughtering MySpace and now all bands seem to be on there instead. Here comes my issue (finally). I really dislike Facebook for basically turning all our bands into a catalog of bland looking pages that all look the same, and gives no feel of the bands image in the way of the old independent sites did. You have to put your band's info in all the same places as everyone else and nothing looks different from one page to the next bar the photograph. Has it now come to a time where your entire band presence has to fit one tiny page on the Internet? Do people loose interest if its over that amount as that's what Facebook are telling you that's all you need? Am I just out of fashion? Does anyone care? Lol

I find it quite sad if this is the case as I used to love going into these band 'worlds' and spend time geeking out on what they have to offer. Even now major pro bands are starting to just have a nice fancy landing page when you on their .com site and all it does is link you to a bloomin Facebook!

I hope it's not just me that finds this annoying.

[quote name='longtimefred' timestamp='1360278664' post='1968151']
I don't mean to de rail the thread or anything but I have an opinion of Facebook band pages that might be worth discussion. If a mod feels this might be a better thing to do separately then cool.

I remember a time before social media when bands used to have to set up their own pages online. I liked this as when looking at how it was designed, the artwork that has been used on it and the overall feel of the site kind of displayed how the band want to be portrayed (if that makes sense). You could delve into the world of that band as it used to be cool to have as much info about them as possible for people to get their chops into. From what gear they use to photos, videos, discographies, lyrics, forums etc etc.

Then MySpace came along as the new way of connecting fans/industry/venues etc directly to the band all in one place. Again I thought this was cool as you could re design your page to how you like it ( I had my bands one set up exactly the same as our full proper site so it was like an extension).

Then Facebook appeared, slaughtering MySpace and now all bands seem to be on there instead. Here comes my issue (finally). I really dislike Facebook for basically turning all our bands into a catalog of bland looking pages that all look the same, and gives no feel of the bands image in the way of the old independent sites did. You have to put your band's info in all the same places as everyone else and nothing looks different from one page to the next bar the photograph. Has it now come to a time where your entire band presence has to fit one tiny page on the Internet? Do people loose interest if its over that amount as that's what Facebook are telling you that's all you need? Am I just out of fashion? Does anyone care? Lol

I find it quite sad if this is the case as I used to love going into these band 'worlds' and spend time geeking out on what they have to offer. Even now major pro bands are starting to just have a nice fancy landing page when you on their .com site and all it does is link you to a bloomin Facebook!

I hope it's not just me that finds this annoying.
[/quote]

Your not alone.I hate the whole idea of facebook and cant seeme ever changing my mind. my bands pages are all done by othe members, the whole likes and facebook friends thing just seems silly. Maybe its old age, or maybe I,m just a miserable old git.

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1360284202' post='1968227']
Your not alone.I hate the whole idea of facebook and cant seeme ever changing my mind. my bands pages are all done by othe members, the whole likes and facebook friends thing just seems silly. Maybe its old age, or maybe I,m just a miserable old git.
[/quote]
If you don't like it, don't use it.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1360262242' post='1967752']
I'm hoping that ours allow reasonably full access to non-Facebook members. I can't see the point of not allowing the public access to your band Facebook page, especially since for a lot of bands it is their only presence on the web.
[/quote]

Mike, I completely agree with this and your band's is fine. In fact it looks one of the better laid out to the casual non facebook viewer. The info that most people would want first, ie what is the band about, what do they sound like and where can I see them play, are properly prioritised. I think it would be worthwhile for any bands using this means to get a non fb signed up person to look at their pages and point out what is 'missing' to the casual viewer. I don't think 'well you're not on fb, you don't matter' is much of an argument really. It's the bands that are missing out ultimately by failing to reach all their potential customers.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1360309843' post='1968298']
If you don't like it, don't use it.
[/quote]

I dont .

People wh do, and who rabbit on about their facebook 'lives' posting personal information, thinking the world is interesed in their holiday snaps, and bragging about their 700 friends, 699 of whom they never actually met, need to step back and take a look

Only my opinion mind, your welcome to do as you please.

FB is just another element of media share.

I think it is useful, but it shouldn't replace a website where you can host your own videos and tracks etc far better, IMO.

I wouldn't take a band that seriously if all they had was a myspace webiste...does anyone do that..?? or a FB page.
When I talk to bookers about bands on bills, the first thing I say if that is the band hasn't got its act together regarding
a good web profile, so you can judge them from that ..to a degree..then they aren't likely to be together anywhere else.

I have a festival bill coming together and we were looking at complimentary bills for the two days... and the booker told
me he was going to see a band in St Albans... FFS..!! the gig is in East Kent... and all he could tell me was that someone recommneded them..
No name, no website, nothing..!! I can't believe he will travel all that way with nothing to go on. And he says another one is from Essex.

I have no idea what sort of draw they will be....

Edited by JTUK