Why become a member? ×

Trevor Horn, let's not forget...

steve-soar

[quote name='phil.i.stein' timestamp='1338231796' post='1671293']
i always loved that bass-line, but always thought it was slapped ?

if not - that makes me feel a whole lot better about never having been able to master it smoothly.. :blush:
[/quote]

Slapped, sampled and re-played on a keyboard

There are lots of YouTube clips of Trevor Horn bass playing and band leading on his Princes Trust concert in 2004.

Very nice playing and it sounds fantastic. Well it should do, it was all post processed in the studio afterwards.

[quote name='paulconnolly' timestamp='1338241269' post='1671588']
Well it may be just me but I preferred that to FGTH's version. A great folky vibe to it.
[/quote]

plus the one.

i'd say it also shows how good a tune it is - it still works despite the change of presentation

This has just prompted me to do some looking around the internet and I came across a youtube upload claiming to be The Blockheads' version of Relax which was indeed very different from the released verson. Very funky and very different. I remember seeing a TV documentary about Ian Dury a couple of years ago and up until that time I'd never realised just how good The Blockheads were.

Edited by darkandrew

There's a big residential studio near me that looks amazing & was once owned by Trevor Horn. I know a couple of pros that use it.

It was first used owned & used by Alvin Lee I think, then Dave Gilmour took it over & then Trevor Horn installed all of the high-tech stuff & lots of big names have used it since then for recording.

http://www.hookendstudio.com/recording-studios.php

I seem to recall reading an Interview with Norman Watt Roy, where he went to Trevor Horn's studio to have a look at this new bit of kit he'd bought called a Fairlight sampler. To try it out TH got NWR to play his Alembic through it. The next time NWR heard his bass sound, was when either Relax or Two Tribes came out. His words were "I'd recognise the sound of my Alembic anywhere!" Or something like that anyway... :P