Why become a member? ×

On stage cockups!

barneyg42

Had a classic one last night. First song in the keyboard player grabs his sax for a solo and we can hardly hear him. Singer cranks him up on the PA but it's still pretty quiet. Second half and we're doing Born to Run, he goes for the classic Clarence solo in the middle and again hardly anything to be heard. Part way through he reaches into to the bell and removes the cleaning cloth he has left in there! I just corpsed big style, could hardly play a note from laughing, we're not going to let him forget that in a hurry!

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1338112596' post='1669665']
Fell over and hit my head on a cymbal stand mid song, whilst trying to get back on stage, all without missing a note though. Last Friday night the whole band f*cked up the same point in the same song, that was funny, especially considering we wrote it.

Liam
[/quote]

We have a few weeks off to get over it but I'm sure come next time there will be a few sniggers when sax time comes around! Me and him play in a Pink Floyd tribute too and have our first gig next weekend, I'm really not sure we should trust him with all the special effects! I can imagine the beginning to Money starting with a duck call or something like that! :)

I reckon I cock something up most nights - usually because my eyes catch a well turned thigh or similar and my concentration goes. I don;t worry about cock ups - once you accept you'll make them you learn , by experience , how to escape/recover etc. It's a gig. You do it - it's over - you go home , roll on the next. Nobody died because you hit the wrong string. We laugh about it.

Once we start playing I generally don't make mistakes, beforehand is another matter, I've forgotten to turn the wireless on or left it on the wrong channel, picked up the wrong bass for the first song, started the set with the tuner on mute, wrong patch on my B2 so I'm either very loud or very quiet.

The one time me and the drummer both seriously cocked up during a song we'd both played maybe once several weeks before, causing it all to fall to pieces after ten seconds.

The only reason it was in the set after so little practise was because the girl the singer had wrote it about was in the audience <_<

At our (The Daves) lst gig, we started Hurry Up Harry by Sham 69 - whereas the drummer started If the Kids Are Utd - in all fairness, he`d only had two rehearsals with us, for 40 songs, so no blame attached. Did make us chuckle though. Not even the band were united :lol:

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1338116693' post='1669732']
Playing Lizzy' "Boys Are Back In Town" Main band plays in A, dep band plays in G. After a couple of gigs with the dep band my muscle memory is all to cock and I was all over the place back in A :(
[/quote]Its not the only song they do thats a little odd..and I thought it was only me?? :mellow:

This was a friends band, last Friday. 2 man band, 2 guitars, harmonica occasional switching to drums. Went on stage and said "hi we are *insert name* and we hate all the songs we've written and we hope you do to" started playing and one guitar was out of tune (badly). Dropped the mic, played seriously out of time with each other as well. Feel kinda bad cause it was just one guys fault, other guy was fine.

Worst I've done is play the wrong verse...never knew the setlist and sound engineer was a pillock so I couldn't hear any other instruments. Was an original song and I play bass so nobody noticed

Edit: just remembered during the intro of the first song of my first gig, the drummers bass pedal got stuck in the drum skin, in a band that used a hell of a lot of double bass for texture in the songs it's just lucky he managed to patch it up after that song

Edited by Cameronj279

Years ago I'd bought my first rackmount tuner... I've still got it infact, 16 years later. Anyway, the first time I used it, tuned up, put my guitar down and went off to get changed in the dressing room. Our guitarist decided to detune one of my strings for a laugh. First song... F# sounded like a very low A :blink: I just kept looking at the fret thinking... I'M PLAYING THE RIGHT NOTE!!!!! Then I spotted our guitarist who couldn't play for laughing on the other side of the stage. Git.

Guitarist starts the first tune of the set. We're all looking at each other thinking this sounds odd but not terrible just strange. 4 bars later the rest of the band come in to find that the guitarists tuner had been calibrated out of concert :(

Last gig I did, sound engineer cocked it up come to think of it, but we got through the band's first song no issue (i was still on stage as i depped for the band before), first song no issue. Second song starts with piano. So pianist starts playing...no sound. Hits keys a bit harder, no sound. From the middle of nowhere the singer just went down the mic "I can't hear Paige!!" me and the drummer almost missed our cues after that :lol:

Same set also started with just bass and one guitar (counting crows big yellow taxi), and we were doing it in C for the singer. Turns out guitarist forgot to put capo on, and we went straight into playing it in Bb. Sad thing is that I only noticed we were pulling it off about half way through the song!!!

I always have at least one. Forgetting lyrics mainly... though last week I missed a G in the Sweet Child of Mine intro. Luckily only my Mrs noticed! The weird thing though, that night I had this vivid dream that I did the same thing in rehearsal and got so pissed off I smashed my bass against the wall. Had to check it was in one piece in the morning!!

Anyone else had that kind of dream?

[quote name='merlin' timestamp='1338124750' post='1669828']
Its not the only song they do thats a little odd..and I thought it was only me?? :mellow:
[/quote]It's more the shifts and different open strings being available, "shapes" required ... so mainly down to my inability after all these years to learn modes properly I 'spose

But I know what you mean. There are a few where I have played them a particular way that I was sure was correct, then happened to hear the track again & realise the bassline is very different, but that's a whole different thread.

Playing a quite big festival and the guitar player apparently (according to him) cant remember the key. It was in B. He mouths across the stage to me, before the song with a panicky look, 'B flat'... so I think ok whatever, not the time to be transposing but whatever. According to him, he was 'asking' me if it was in B flat not 'telling' me what key we were going to play the next song in. Anyway, we start the B song in B flat but only the intro and verses. The choruses and solos were back in the original key as he seemed to remember what the actual chord patterns were, but the verses were still a fret down.......NOT a time to be jamming......of course I never let him live that one down and the Youtube footage is that noisy, thankfully nobody seemed to notice our little faux pas....... I still laugh about that one.

This one time in band camp.......

We were playing Davidian by Machine Head and in the heat of the moment the drummer accidentally spat his £200 false tooth over the drum kit in to the singers area. He spent the rest of the song praying the singer didn't tread on it, which he didn't and then had to retrieve it after the tune.

Haha, some brilliant ones here. I've seen the drum kit move before, one time of which I stopped it; the other time I just mouthed "cost you" and "tenner" at him, before shrugging and moving on.

Haven't yet spat a crown out; but there's time yet...

Playing in the 80's, got to a point in the song where we dropped out and kept the percussion playing, I foolishly start to do a "let me see some hands..." type overhead handclap. Bass falls off its strap and smashes on to the floor. Cue the whole club and band pissing themselves laughing. SHAME!!!! next day - bought my first set of strap locks