Why become a member? ×

Songs you wish you played live but have never done

Chrismanbass

I'd love to play 'Hit me with your rhythm stick' but I've never been in the kind of covers band that would have played it.

I did a dep job once and I got to play 'Black night' by Deep Purple which was definitely one of the songs on my bucket list.

All the way from Memphis would be nice, theres a good cover version on youtube with a female Bass player, cant remember who they are now though. and some really great Mott the hoople live versions on there of course.

Been playing with tribute type bands and Rock n Roll bands the last few years though, so seem unlikely I'll get to do it, at least not for a while.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1338072698' post='1669411']

+1 on all of them.
I'm flabbergasted Mr Bungle would even come up in this topic, but earlier today I played Disco Volante and was thinking about trying to play some of that stuff when I grow up.

best,
bert
[/quote]

Not really known about Mr Bungle for all that long but they've really really impressed me over the last year. Decided a while ago to learn squeeze me macaroni (it even got me passed my college audition!), really fun song to play, now to find someone who can sing that fast...

[quote name='the_skezz' timestamp='1338117421' post='1669746']
Always wanted to do some Stranglers but there's amazingly few keys players round these parts - or rather, everyone I know who says they play keyboards means that they've had a few lessons in school and can do 'When the Saints Go Marching In' :lol:
[/quote]

Plus, Dave Greenfield's lines would be a big ask for most.

[quote name='paul torch' timestamp='1338194689' post='1670507']
Plus, Dave Greenfield's lines would be a big ask for most.
[/quote]

Mind you, I saw Hugh Cornwell a few years back and his band do quite a few Stranglers numbers without keys, still works pretty well.

One of bands often toys with the idea of doing a couple of covers.

I've suggested Goose Step Mamma - The Rutles
The Right Stuff - Robert Calvert
Joe Public - The Rutles (rehearsed 'til tight)

Most were happy with these but it's difficult to find something that everyone is into.

[quote name='paul torch' timestamp='1338194921' post='1670512']
Mind you, I saw Hugh Cornwell a few years back and his band do quite a few Stranglers numbers without keys, still works pretty well.
[/quote]

True, Baz and JJ did an acoustic set at the convention last year, numbers like Skin Deep and Dagenham Dave still held their magic. I did try to get my old punk band to cover Peaches sans keys, but they could never remember the amount of times the riff played in each verse and then the singer didn't want to do it cos he said he sounded stupid singing it and the guitarist didn't want to try playing a solo instead of the keyboard solo and didn't fancy just playing the riff a couple of times instead...

At least they took the effort to come up with some excuses that first time. Every song I suggested covering after that was met the next week with the response of 'I forgot to learn it, let's go onto that song I want to cover/this new song I've wrote and we'll learn yours for next week' <_<

Better man - Pearl Jam
Money - Pink Floyd - not sure how this would work without the sax break
Billie Jean - Michael Jackson - love the bass part but finding a singer to sing this was always a problem
The boys are back in town - Thin Lizzy - I've wanted to play this live for so long
Ace of spades - nobody can do the vocal justice