Why become a member? ×

Bloody punters

radansey

Morning service - first one with the recently refurbished Spector 5-er.

Good gig - the Spector has a really nice tone which seemed to compliment the songs.

Anyway, after the 'gig', one of the congregation asked me if the bass had been turned-up, since it was so high that it gave his missus a headache.

Speaking to other people confirmed that this guy is a real PITA, and not to worry, the sound was good and he is known to be a smart@rse tw@t.

So five minutes after nailing what I thought was a good performance, my confidence has been immediately shot.

Still knocked-back a bit after 3 hours.

It only takes one.

It only takes one - correct.

You.

Church - pub - back of a truck in a field - stadium. You're the player , and you need to develop big enough brass ones to say 'i'm in control and I'm happy with my sound - you're entitled to your opinion but it's not as important to me as my own'.

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1336918142' post='1652669']
tell him a short trip to the docs to get her ears syringed should do the trick
[/quote]

Good call - send moaning punters to this particular doc , maybe. I'll put them right!

Joking apart , this his isn't a moaning punter issue - it's a player confidence issue. One of us has been knocked back and the more experienced of us should be helping to explain he has no need to feel bad.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1336919663' post='1652689']
Joking apart , this his isn't a moaning punter issue - it's a player confidence issue. One of us has been knocked back and the more experienced of us should be helping to explain he has no need to feel bad.
[/quote]

Spot on. This is the bit of the story I'd be focussing on:

[i]"Speaking to other people confirmed that this guy is a real PITA, and not to worry, the sound was good and he is known to be a smart@rse tw@t."[/i]

Plow on mate.
The majority of my live playing is done in churches, and has been for years.
Bear these in mind.
1. Most churches I've played in are acoustically dire. That's just the way it is.
2. Just about every congregation I've played to has included people (not always the oldies) who just don't want the music you're playing. Even if it was played by Donald D.Dunn and his heavenly band. You can't win with those people. They look for reasons to moan.
3. The majority of the people will have appreciated what you did. They may not be explicit about it, but remember you are there to facilitate worship not put a show on.

Everything you have said strongly suggests you are doing well. The problems (if there are any) are outside your control.
Keep on that stoney road!

Guys, Thanks for your encouraging words of support. My confidence was, and has been, well and truly knocked-for-six.

Maybe I'll suggest he takes up ventriloquism since he is very good at talking out of his @r$£. Hmm maybe not.

Thanks,

Ross

Had some dick last night tell our singer that he thought I was all over the place and not playing in time. Hmm, that would be why I had several musicians come up to me at the end of the night telling me they liked what I played.

One of these "I used to be in a band" dicks that should be at home with his cocoa and slippers.

There is always one and that's the thing - it normally is just one person. Chances are they have no idea about being a musician, playing live or simply like to complain about things. They're everywhere unfortunately. Just ignore them

Just a thought. Is it possible that certain areas of the church develop natural loud sound pockets ? lots of potential reflective surfaces ?

If it's possible, it may be worth finding out where said person sat and spending a little time there while someone else plays your bass with the band playing too. Once you've heard what he did, you'll then be in an informed position about his comments.

Also bearing in mind that there won't be so many people around if you try that exercise (unless it's another worship day).

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1336926757' post='1652832']
Just a thought. Is it possible that certain areas of the church develop natural loud sound pockets ? lots of potential reflective surfaces ?

If it's possible, it may be worth finding out where said person sat and spending a little time there while someone else plays your bass with the band playing too. Once you've heard what he did, you'll then be in an informed position about his comments.

Also bearing in mind that there won't be so many people around if you try that exercise (unless it's another worship day).
[/quote]

Agreed. The speaker wasn't directly pointing in his direction and was shielded by a piano, a guitarist and a vocalist. So it could indeed be reflections/standing-waves.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1336920543' post='1652705']
Him not getting laid is not your problem.
[/quote]

EPIC!!

Personally I don't give these kind of people the time of day, let alone enough acknowledgement to give me some chalp about stuff they know nothing about....

[quote name='radansey' timestamp='1336917451' post='1652661']
Morning service - first one with the recently refurbished Spector 5-er.

Good gig - the Spector has a really nice tone which seemed to compliment the songs.

Anyway, after the 'gig', one of the congregation asked me if the bass had been turned-up, since it was so high that it gave his missus a headache.

[/quote]

If he's a Christian, you should have said "...well forgive me then !"

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1336920543' post='1652705']
Him not getting laid is not your problem.
[/quote]

This.

/thread.

I wouldn't worry on the basis of some partisan feedback from a single audience member with a past history of minor gripes and complaints.

We all know the type. I seem to invariably encounter them in restaurants, when they believe that paying £15 for a main makes them a sophisticated diner, and hoping that a timely complaint will shave the bill down some and impress Sheila, who is looking lovely since she came off the Prozac.

Such a type caused my only public deployment of the c-bomb, in defence of one of York's finer eateries and his continual invasion of my conversation with his incessant whining.

Church might be the wrong place to deploy your own c-bomb (unless it's the Church of Satan, where people should stand to the consequences of their actions, so feel free to garnish your feedback appropriately), but you should understand it's not a credible piece of feedback on your playing - it sounds like it's driven from somewhere else; from his own insecurities; his own upbringing; that affair Sheila had in 1972; his small penis - could be anything!