Why become a member? ×

As I Roved Out One Fine Spring Evening...

icastle

I got talked into a dep spot with a band last week, one of those "it's just a 30 min spot, you'll have no problem with it".

No problem, I do this sort of stuff all the while, so I agreed and thought nothing more about it.

Everything was fine, until I got on stage and looked at the rest of the band.
Drums, piano, saxophone... OH F*CK!
This was a jazz band... :blink:

In the back of my mind Clive Dunn was shouting 'Don't panic!, Don't panic!'

Right.
Deep breath and I'll deal with the revenge beatings later... :angry:

[i]What do I know about jazz? :huh: [/i]
Nothing

[i]What [b]do[/b] I know about then? :huh: [/i]
Folk music

[i]What are you going to do then? :huh: [/i]
Erm... what I know... :blink:

A few little runs, jumping between melody and rhythm, leaving spaces, ghost notes and some slowed down jiggy bits seemed to fit the bill, so off I went...

As I stood there, my mind wandered to BassChat and I had to laugh at the hilarity/horror that the thought of me playing the 'j word' would have on those of you who know me better than you probably ought to.
The little musical imp on my shoulder persuaded me that playing a tempo compensated 'Remember You're A Womble' riff in amongst 'A Nightingale Sang In Berkley Square' would probably work.
... it does... :lol:

The set finished.

Enthusiastic clapping and a few somewhat bemused faces in the audience I thought, but the gig organiser called me yesterday to tell me that the concensus of everyone he'd spoken to since the gig was that that spot was the best they'd seen for months and asked if I'd consider doing it again in the future.

So there ya go.
Jazz is just folk music and odd riffs, reused in true Womble stylee... I just need to work out how to weld 'Merry Sherwood Rangers' and 'Stompin' At The Savoy' to each other... :lol:

Edited by icastle

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1336829750' post='1651655']
:lol: You going to do it again, or has your mind been blown?
[/quote]

I probably would actually, now I've gaffa taped my mental trip switches... :)
The big drawback is losing that surprise\shock factor - once I'm in a 'nothing to loose' position I have no fear, or indeed common sense... :D

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1336829065' post='1651644']
The little musical imp on my shoulder persuaded me that playing a tempo compensated 'Remember You're A Womble' riff in amongst 'A Nightingale Sang In Berkley Square' would probably work.... it does... :lol:[/quote]

Kudos. That's going in the famous quotes thread.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1336829750' post='1651655']
:lol: You going to do it again, or has your mind been blown? Maybe you could persuade the band to dress up like this:

[/quote]

Steelye Span in "drag"! Honestly! I've heard both Mike Batt and Maddy Prior tell the story of how it came to pass.

Steve

PS All music is folk music, it's just cooler to call it something else.

LOL this thread is fantastic. Kudos to iCastle for not losing his cool, for making the audience happy, and also for considering doing it all over again! I'm sure you're going to like it :)

Incidentally, I don't mind jazz and I positively like fusion.

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='Deep Thought' timestamp='1336983663' post='1653394']
A Womble playing an all-black Rick! I've wanted one of those for years, but I think I'm cured now!
[/quote]

You have to sit very quietly on Wimbledon Common if you want one of those... :ph34r: