Why become a member? ×

As I Roved Out One Fine Spring Evening...

icastle

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1336932393' post='1652930']
Steelye Span in "drag"! Honestly! I've heard both Mike Batt and Maddy Prior tell the story of how it came to pass.
[/quote]

I know! :D

There was a thread here about early musical influences, and I'm not sure whether people were most amused or horrified by my initial revelation that The Wombles were my first influence or whether it was my transition to Steeleye Span that finished my fellow posters off.

I did try to explain 'how' the transition was a pretty obvious one but I'm pretty certain that I could hear laughter... <_<

Still, I get the last laugh now as you all sort out your glass, tins and paper into seperate bags for recycling... :P

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1337014779' post='1654044']
Dammit, I wanted to make that joke!
[/quote]

No problem.

Get a large canvas bag with a [color=#ff0000][b][size=6]W[/size][/b][/color][size=6][size=4] on it and make good use of the jokes that you find, things that the everyday folk leave behind... :P [/size][/size]

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1336934161' post='1652960']
You were saved by the spirit of Uncle Bulgaria. :-)
[/quote]

I met him.

Well, at least I think I did...

...hairy old man creeping around the bushes with some magazines in a brown bag... :blink:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1337015200' post='1654057']
Edit: And had to go to east London by tube and train today, so went underground/overground.
[/quote]

For all the p*ss taking, it's gratifying to see so many people knowing so many of the words... :lol:

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1337014778' post='1654043']
There was a thread here about early musical influences, and I'm not sure whether people were most amused or horrified by my initial revelation that The Wombles were my first influence or whether it was my transition to Steeleye Span that finished my fellow posters off.
[/quote]

One of the first singles I ever bought was "Super Womble". I also went on to discover the delights of Steeleye Span, The Albion Band & Fairport Convention and many others, music I still love to this day.

Weird. :mellow:

Time for a serious Wombles retrospective at Cecil Sharp House methinks.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1337105238' post='1655597']
One of the first singles I ever bought was "Super Womble". I also went on to discover the delights of Steeleye Span, The Albion Band & Fairport Convention and many others, music I still love to this day.

Weird. :mellow:

Time for a serious Wombles retrospective at Cecil Sharp House methinks.
[/quote]

I'm starting to suspect that we were either seperated at birth or one of our parent's had a bike... :lol:

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1337107448' post='1655661']
I'm starting to suspect that we were either seperated at birth or one of our parent's had a bike... :lol:
[/quote]

That in itself would make a great folk song - the only problem is one of us would have to die by the others hand before we found out we were brothers. :D

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1337108023' post='1655684']
That in itself would make a great folk song - the only problem is [b]one of us would have to die by the others hand[/b] before we found out we were brothers. :D[/quote]

Preferably at sea. Try to get some unrequited love in there as well.

That in itself would make a great folk song - the only problem is one of us would have to die by the others hand before we found out we were brothers. :D
[/quote]

Actually, one bit of my occasionally dingy family history almost fits the bill there anyway.

My great grandparents were from a Welsh mining village and decided to seperate.
Divorce was unheard of in those days and it was all 'played down' - Mum and two daughters moved to one end of the village, Dad and one daughter went to the other end.
It was never spoken of again.

It was some 60 years later that my Gran bumped into a woman at a funeral and was chatting about people they both knew.
Turned out it was her sister - the parents had never told the kids they had siblings!

[/quote]

Usually it's the sister that get killed although I can think of one exception (Lord Randall)

Steve